DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA 107 practice question about flying in MOAs

ScottyV

Reactions
I was taking a practice test online (link below) and the question was as follows:

What action should a remote-pilot take when operating in a Military Operations Area (MOA)?

1) Obtain authorization from the controlling agency prior to operating in the MOA
2) Exercise extreme caution when military activity is being conducted
3) Fly only along Military Training Routes (MTRs)

I chose #1, but it says the answer is #2. Does anyone know if this is true? That would basically mean, "yeah, fly in a military area, just be careful". I looked in the "FAA remote pilot study guide" but it does not specifically say.

I'm a little baffled by this one, unless they just messed up the question.

https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/2-2/#

I was taking a practice test online (link below) and the question was as follows:

What action should a remote-pilot take when operating in a Military Operations Area (MOA)?

1) Obtain authorization from the controlling agency prior to operating in the MOA
2) Exercise extreme caution when military activity is being conducted
3) Fly only along Military Training Routes (MTRs)

I chose #1, but it says the answer is #2. Does anyone know if this is true? That would basically mean, "yeah, fly in a military area, just be careful". I looked in the "FAA remote pilot study guide" but it does not specifically say.

I'm a little baffled by this one, unless they just messed up the question.

https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/2-2/#

#2 is the correct answer.

Military Operations Areas (MOA)

MOAs are nonregulatory airspace areas that are established administratively and published in the National Flight Data Digest (NFDD) rather than through rulemaking procedures. MOAs are established to separate or segregate non-hazardous military flight activities from aircraft operating in accordance with instrument flight rules (IFR), and to advise pilots flying under visual flight rules (VFR) where these activities are conducted. IFR aircraft may be routed through an active MOA only by agreement with the using agency and only when air traffic control can provide approved separation from the MOA activity. VFR pilots are not restricted from flying in an active MOA, but they are advised to exercise caution while doing so.​

MOAs are fair game. But the amount of civilian traffic I see when I’m out there doing 200+ knots with dynamic maneuvers is very disturbing. Some people don’t care or honestly don’t realize how saturated and dangerous these areas can be.

MOAs are fair game. But the amount of civilian traffic I see when I’m out there doing 200+ knots with dynamic maneuvers is very disturbing. Some people don’t care or honestly don’t realize how saturated and dangerous these areas can be.
I would think drones would cause issues with low flying military aircraft, especially since they're so small. Seems weird to me that they allow drones anywhere near MOAs without needing authorization. Anyway....if they say so, them's the rules!

I would think drones would cause issues with low flying military aircraft, especially since they're so small. Seems weird to me that they allow drones anywhere near MOAs without needing authorization. Anyway....if they say so, them's the rules!

Honestly probably not, we rarely fly lower than 4000 feet unless in the pattern. And at that point we are, well should be in protected airspace as far as drone rules go. The real concern I see is with helos, those guys fly well below 1000 AGL and I can see them being a hazard at beaches, anywhere really. I’ll see them buzzing tree tops. So on drone owners end see and avoid is huge as far as LOS and not being an idiot. Regardless if you wear some silly lanyard or shirt you need to be aware of what types of operations are going on.

Depending on where in Deluxbury Scott is, he may have frequent fly overs by the USCG Helicopters at just above the beach, as in a couple of hundred feet above the water

I have had them fly across the runway 6 departure at George Harlow Field ( KGHG) Marshfield. less than a half mile from the runway and WELL within the area where we are trying to get to 1000' so we can turn (usually south).

Reactions: CieloImaging
Depending on where in Deluxbury Scott is, he may have frequent fly overs by the USCG Helicopters at just above the beach, as in a couple of hundred feet above the water

I have had them fly across the runway 6 departure at George Harlow Field ( KGHG) Marshfield. less than a half mile from the runway and WELL within the area where we are trying to get to 1000' so we can turn (usually south).

That’s so infuriating to hear. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Reactions: CieloImaging
Depending on where in Deluxbury Scott is, he may have frequent fly overs by the USCG Helicopters at just above the beach, as in a couple of hundred feet above the water.

Haha, never thought I'd hear the term Deluxbury when I first hopped on this site! :p Good to see some local people are there.
I hear the USCG helos flying pretty low sometimes. Not cool though that they're flying right in front of the end of the runway...they're supposed to be the experts.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S