DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"FAA altitude warning" message?? New?

Max L

Reactions
So now when going over 393' a red warning pops up say something like, "you may be in violation of FAA....". I under stand the rules. Im wasn't greater that 393' from the ground I was flying over, i was greater than 393' from my HP. Never saw this message before. I have been as high as 1000' over HP and never saw ANY message. Someone had said on a thread here that if you log out of the DJI app you won't get that message. Tried that but it then limits altitude to 30m i think. Its pretty annoying and blocks a large part of the view when it shows up.

Reactions: E90RAW
its exactly that a warning its all part of DJI attempts to conform with a countries regulations in the UK if you fly straight up from your home point the drone will geofence at 396ft and you get a message saying maximum height reached regardless of how high the take of point is

Wonder what would happen if a mini was sent up on a weather balloon to the edge of space, I guess it couldn't take of on the way back down so could never start flying, shame and I bet DJI would query the refresh on that DAT file too :confused:

Reactions: E90RAW
in the UK if you fly straight up from your home point the drone will geofence at 396ft and you get a message saying maximum height reached regardless of how high the take of point is
Can you show flight data to confirm that?

Reactions: Cw4bray
So now when going over 393' a red warning pops up say something like, "you may be in violation of FAA....". I under stand the rules. Im wasn't greater that 393' from the ground I was flying over, i was greater than 393' from my HP. Never saw this message before. I have been as high as 1000' over HP and never saw ANY message. Someone had said on a thread here that if you log out of the DJI app you won't get that message. Tried that but it then limits altitude to 30m i think. Its pretty annoying and blocks a large part of the view when it shows up.
I get that message and VLOS message as a red banner.

Reactions: reaganbp
Wonder what would happen if a mini was sent up on a weather balloon to the edge of space, I guess it couldn't take of on the way back down so could never start flying, shame and I bet DJI would query the refresh on that DAT file too :confused:
Send up on a balloon or launch from a mountain, the drone won't care.
It's max altitude is relative to the launch point, not sea level.

its exactly that a warning its all part of DJI attempts to conform with a countries regulations in the UK if you fly straight up from your home point the drone will geofence at 396ft and you get a message saying maximum height reached regardless of how high the take of point is
Ouch. Mine limits at 1640'. Ive only been around 1100' over home point but was really 75' from the hill side.

the max height is set at 120m in the GO4 app ,i know that it can be altered but if you try to set it higher it gives a warning message say that you are doing it at you own risk and DJI have no part of your actions and you have to agree before you can change it with the fly app as soon as you move the slider above 400ft then a similar message appears

if you try to set it higher it gives a warning message say that you are doing it at you own risk and DJI have no part of your actions and you have to agree before you can change it with the fly app as soon as you move the slider above 400ft then a similar message appears
That's quite different from what was suggested in post #2.

i agree to a point ,what i tried to say was ,that no matter what height the home point was at the AC would still only go up to 400ft above that point and then geofence

Reactions: THE CYBORG
yes my max height is set at 120m or 396 ft to comply with UK rules and it came with that setting out of the box have never felt the need to alter it

yes my max height is set at 120m or 396 ft to comply with UK rules and it came with that setting out of the box have never felt the need to alter it
The reason you get the message you mentioned in post #2 is because you have left the Max Altitude limit set at the default value of 400 ft.
It's not about complying with any country's regulations.

btw .. UK rules relate to how high your drone is above the ground below it, not how high it is above the level of the launch point.
There are many situations where your app altitude would show a height well above 400 ft and you would still be complying with regulations.

The reason you get the message you mentioned in post #2 is because you have left the Max Altitude limit set at the default value of 400 ft.
It's not about complying with any country's regulations.

btw .. UK rules relate to how high your drone is above the ground below it, not how high it is above the level of the launch point.
There are many situations where your app altitude would show a height well above 400 ft and you would still be complying with regulations.

Actually you get that message even if the maximum height is set higher. It's just a warning about the regulatory limit of 120 m / 400 ft AGL in most places.

Actually you get that message even if the maximum height is set higher. It's just a warning about the regulatory limit of 120 m / 400 ft AGL in most places.
Did this change with 1.1.5? I didnt remember any warnings passing the 400' mark until recently.

Did this change with 1.1.5? I didnt remember any warnings passing the 400' mark until recently.

I'm not sure about the Fly app - I have not exceeded 400 ft with that app. It was a somewhat recent addition to the DJI GO 4 app however.

Reactions: Max L
i totally agree with what has been said the message about the height limit in settings in the GO4 app if you change the limit to higher than 120m is something recent
and i know that the 400ft geofence has no bearing on how high the drone is above the ground where it is flying at a given time,but if i fly my drone from the bottom of a valley and then try to go up say to a point that is higher than my preset 120m my drone will height geofence ,when it reaches 120m from the height of the home point irrespective of how high it is from the ground below

Last edited:
Reactions: ninja_geezer
if i fly my drone from the bottom of a valley and then try to go up say to a point that is higher than my preset 120m my drone will height geofence ,when it reaches 120m from the height of the home point irrespective of how high it is from the ground below
That is only because that is the height you have set for your Max Altitude limit.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr