DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA, AMA & INSURANCE UNDERSTAND IT

ksull72487

Reactions
Well it's late. But I want to put things into perspective for people.

Due to the Demand and popularity of drones. The FAA has obviously required a registration. It's quite basic.

You pay $5, You Read 5 rules and you place a Certificate number on your Drone.

That Certificate is not a privilege or license from the FAA. It's a registration or unique identifier to link you to an accident in the event it falls from the sky etc.

You are not supposed to advertise your number as it has no assignment to a specific drone like an N number on an airplane. Short story. If somebody sees and steals your FAA number lives nearby he can crash it through the window on your account. N number on an airplane a little different. There are plenty of serials recorded.

The commercial part 107 is the same except your are licensed to do commercial work with your drone.

Now for the AMA

Most fields or RC Aircraft Fields require you have insurance to operate your drone. The AMA is a membership that gives you basic liability for recreational use if you abide by their rules. The membership is affordable and the best way to go for most of us as it's recognized.

Commercial use is exempt from the AMA benefits. You will need a policy through AIG etc. Liability is important but you can get full coverage or comprehensive. Personally I'd run the DJI Refresh alongside a Liability policy as it would be cheaper until it's expired. Then add in full coverage if you wish.

Feel free to comment. But in a nut shell that's the deal. The AMA and FAA have worked closely in RC Aircraft for ages. They have taken on drones as well. This is all going to change extremely fast.

Point is if your drone falls from the sky. The police or who ever investigates it picks it up reads your FAA number gives you a call and says you are at fault and fines you, then says you damaged a house and you hope your AMA membership or insurance policy benefits you. I'm surprised I don't hear about people putting an AMA number on the drone or policy info lol. That's actually more beneficial to you than the FAA registration lol.

For those of you with AMA memberships they do recommend you place your member ID on your drone along with your FAA number.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Point is if your drone falls from the sky. The police or who ever investigates it picks it up reads your FAA number gives you a call and says you are at fault and fines you, then says you damaged a house and you hope your AMA membership or insurance policy benefits you.
I'm thinking it wouldn't since the AMA prohibits members from flying over houses.

A lot of AMA members and/or people wanting to become AMA members have this preconceived notion that the AMA has insurance that's going to cover them in any type of accident. However, it appears the insurance really only covers members while flying at AMA fields/events. Perhaps a knowledgeable AMA member will come along and set this record straight.

Reactions: sonof40
I'm thinking it wouldn't since the AMA prohibits members from flying over houses.

A lot of AMA members and/or people wanting to become AMA members have this preconceived notion that the AMA has insurance that's going to cover them in any type of accident. However, it appears the insurance really only covers members while flying at AMA fields/events. Perhaps a knowledgeable AMA member will come along and set this record straight.

I agree. It's debatable although. I have read into their terms quite a bit. It does not give a whole lot of info on whether the insurance would cover outside an RC field. The point is just about every field in the country will require it. So I'd consider it as a cheap alternative especially if your using a designated RC field.

I have read into their terms quite a bit. It does not give a whole lot of info on whether the insurance would cover outside an RC field.
I think the insurance will cover incidents outside of an RC field. The problem is that you almost have to be flying at an RC field in order to follow all of their rules. The insurance is null and void if you're not following their rules.

I think the insurance will cover incidents outside of an RC field. The problem is that you almost have to be flying at an RC field in order to follow all of their rules. The insurance is null and void if you're not following their rules.

Bingo!!! I just looked up their code and their insurance summary. You are covered but yeah you got to play by their rules. Flying over a highly populated area they may fight you if you ever went to file a claim. They have different policies for different things. But the short story is your covered.

Still though not bad to have for $75 and makes you legal at an RC field.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/insurancesummarymembers.pdf

I have 4 items on my drones. The FAA number, the AMA number, my name and phone number. The only time that I fly over a house or business is by mistake. I have a square mile of open space north of my house and a city park half a mile away. The city park is open space with ponds and fields in 3 directions. Yesterday I took my P4 out and tried sport mode a few times as well as just working on smooth videos. I also took out the Typhoon H that is much better suited to slow smooth flying that the area allows.

I guess I'm a rebel and maybe I'm the minority but I live in the Los Angeles area where houses are stacked on top of each other. I don't think I have ever flown where no one is around or where houses are not around. Beaches around here are generally packed on a good day and most of my videos are with people and popular sites (where people gather for the same reason I'm there). So I generally try to keep it safe and not directly over anyone, but I do make pass overs and such where people are. I really would not have much fun if I only shot in places no one was or wanted to go. I don't see myself flying only in airfields for the same reasons above. Generally there is not much to see or enjoy on a flat open area.

I tend to think alot of people (even if they don't admit it) will not qualify for the AMA rules of insurance.

This is a clip from their website insurance coverage summary. It doesnt seem to make a difference where you fly. Correct ?AMA insurnace.png

Reactions: ksull72487
For the most part no. They have sanctioned fields. But they could fight you on a claim if you intentionally broke one of their rules etc.

A full insurance policy will pay either way. Also the AMA has a large amount of subscribers that's how that policy is paid for. Everyone pitches in.

$75 is a drop in the bucket for their benefits regardless. I'd say everyone should have it.

This is a clip from their website insurance coverage summary. It doesnt seem to make a difference where you fly.
Right, but you must follow the AMA Safety Code or else the insurance will not cover your operations. Here are some of the rules from the AMA Safety Code:
  • All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures
  • At all flying sites a safety line(s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place
  • RC model aircraft must use the radio-control frequencies currently allowed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
  • No powered model may be flown outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual
  • Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power
  • RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times
  • Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot
Most members of this forum are probably breaking at least one of these rules on every flight.

Just sent in my application and membership fee. It looks like sending the application by mail is the only way you can join. By the way, if you are a senior it is $65/year. I also feel that the DJI damage insurance is worth the $99. The magazine and were the locations to fly might be worth the cost too. Any other thoughts on this?

To say the least! lol!
Right, but you must follow the AMA Safety Code or else the insurance will not cover your operations. Here are some of the rules from the AMA Safety Code:
  • All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures
  • At all flying sites a safety line(s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place
  • RC model aircraft must use the radio-control frequencies currently allowed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
  • No powered model may be flown outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual
  • Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power
  • RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times
  • Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot
Most members of this forum are probably breaking at least one of these rules on every flight.

State Farm has a policy called PAP (Personal Articles Policy). I would highly recommend calling and getting it. The lowest price a year is $60 (least in Mn) so you can add some other items like electronics, cameras and jewelry. I pay $5.50/Month for my MPP, DSLR and my DSLR Lenses.

This includes $0 deductible and covers you in case of a crash, lost or stolen. It won’t cover natural wear and tear though.

My understanding though is this policy is only good for recreational uses.

If you are flying commercial look at SkyWatch.ai. FAA has no regulation flying over houses but your local government may. If I fly over house I fly high. If I am filming a roof or something for real estate advise the neighbors. Put a plan in place, have a spotter if you can and be safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu