DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Announces 8 Partners in Remote ID Development

IShouldBeWorking

Reactions
  • Sad
Reactions: dawgpilot
A sharp eyed poster, from another group I'm in, mentioned that Skyward is owned by Verizon and Wing is owned by Google (or Alphabet). So pretty much all very large corporate partners. Not sure who, if anyone, on that list is looking out for the hobbyist flyer.

This is technology and standards development and implementation, not policy.

It appears that FAA has made no attempt to read the overwhelming negative comments from the remote ID, NPRM. How's the NPRM "due process" working ? 53,212 comments from the industry just got poo poo-ed and dismissed. Who's idea or suggestion was remote ID in the first place, private or public ?
There will always be 20 times the number of Hobby UAS versus commercial UAS, just like the ratio of private planes versus commercial planes, yet all recreational UAS are taking a back seat to aid commercial UAS remote ID. What if Amazon learns from trial and error, that hub/spoke UAS delivery isn't any more efficient than a truck on a predetermined route with multiple drops ? After learning this, abandons all UAS operations in favor of conventional delivery methods. The damage to the UAS industry will already have been done. Time to start writing to our representatives. I would've thought the FAA would have the courtesy to "address" the NPRM comments before announcing partners in remote ID development.

Is there anything in that post that isn't unsupported speculation?

Dont worry they are looking out for the interest of hobby flyers very carefully....they only want want is best for all of us...

View attachment 100648
Here's the official list of partners working with the FAA on Remote ID:

Airbus
AirMap
Amazon
Intel
One Sky
Skyward
T-Mobile
Wing

Some of these partners certainly have big interests of their own in this space. Lookin' at you Amazon! Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Press Release – U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Technology Partners for Remote ID Development

Chk out the Commercial Drone Alliance purpose and the current list of members.

This group has unlimited financial resources and influence.

I wonder if us 107/Rec pilots are the “Barriers” that need to be reduced.

Reactions: badaxed
This is technology and standards development and implementation, not policy.

True, however I personally don't like just the big guys in there... not a single R/C company an interest in the implementation of Remote ID for the "hobby"? I will still hope someone somewhere might be able to have some kind of remote ID that would be able to retrofit older aircraft. Otherwise, as I have said before, all my other aircraft (primarily talking about fixed wing) will be completely obsolete.

Reactions: rhberg and Cw4bray
I did not recognize some of the players.
Here's the list I compiled from the internet.

Airbus
Aircraft manufacturer and international pioneer in the aerospace sector.

AirMap
is a global provider of aeronautical data & services to unmanned aircraft, or drones.

Amazon
Large Potential Customer for commercial UAS operations.

Intel
Supplier of ICs such as integrated transceivers and integrated power supplies
Commercial Drones from Intel
www.intel.com › www › drones › drone-applications › co...

One Sky
Multiple choices I think this one is the most likely. OneSky
provides analytics for aerospace systems, particularly within the commercial unmanned aerial systems (UAS) market.

Skyward
Commercial Drone Software & Services | Skyward
skyward.io

T-Mobile
Cellular Service Provider ( in absence of a wifi connection cellular technology will provide the link)

Wing
Delivery service using UASs
Wing
wing.com

Logical choices when you consider that Amazon, as a customer will likely fund a large portion of this.

I did not recognize some of the players.
Here's the list I compiled from the internet.

Airbus
Aircraft manufacturer and international pioneer in the aerospace sector.

AirMap
is a global provider of aeronautical data & services to unmanned aircraft, or drones.

Amazon
Large Potential Customer for commercial UAS operations.

Intel
Supplier of ICs such as integrated transceivers and integrated power supplies
Commercial Drones from Intel
www.intel.com › www › drones › drone-applications › co...

One Sky
Multiple choices I think this one is the most likely. OneSky
provides analytics for aerospace systems, particularly within the commercial unmanned aerial systems (UAS) market.

Skyward
Commercial Drone Software & Services | Skyward
skyward.io

T-Mobile
Cellular Service Provider ( in absence of a wifi connection cellular technology will provide the link)

Wing
Delivery service using UASs
Wing
wing.com

Logical choices when you consider that Amazon, as a customer will likely fund a large portion of this.

Sounds like WE will be funding most Of this.

I have to question why amazon. Speculation from the announcement of remote ID has swirled around amazon and they’re personal interests. Not sure I consider them a tech company. i would rather see a Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman or even a Garmin type company over amazon. What exactly does amazon bring to the table technology wise?

Reactions: rhberg
Monthly fees?

The estimated $5 fee going to the USS RID service providers? That's going to pay for the service perhaps, but I have no idea how you think it is going to fund the entire RID development costs. The big commercial players are going to be the ones footing the bill.

• Haha
Reactions: TheRock
In response to deleted post:

It appears that FAA has made no attempt to read the overwhelming negative comments from the remote ID, NPRM. How's the NPRM "due process" working ? 53,212 comments from the industry just got poo poo-ed and dismissed. Who's idea or suggestion was remote ID in the first place, private or public ?

The FAA still has time to respond to those 53,212 comments. They just want to set up everything now so they can move quick once the concerns and comments from the public are officially "reviewed" and discarded.

Who's idea or suggestion was remote ID in the first place, private or public?

Here is a list of the members of the 2017 UAS ID ARC Committee which "advised" the FAA

1) A3 & Aerial by Airbus 2) Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) 3) Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) 4) Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) 5) Airborne Law Enforcement Association (ALEA) 6) Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) 7) Airmap 8) Airspace Systems, Inc. 9) Alliance for System Safety of UAS through Research Excellence (ASSURE) 10) Amazon Prime Air 11) American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE) 12) American Petroleum Institute (API) 13) Analytical Graphics, Inc. 14) Ariascend/DUGN 15) Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) 16) ASTM International 17) AT&T 18) BNSF Railway 19) California Highway Patrol, Office of Air Operations 20) College Park, MD Airport 21) Commercial Drone Alliance 22) Consumer Technology Association (CTA) 23) CTIA/Akin Gump 24) DJI Technology 25) DLA Piper 26) Drone Aviator, Inc. 27) Dronsystems Limited 28) Fairfax County Police Department 29) Farris Technology 30) Flight Safety Foundation 31) FlyTransparent/Black River Systems Company 32) Ford Motor Company 33) General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. 34) General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA) 35) General Electric Aviation 36) Globalstar 37) Grand Forks Sheriff’s Office 38) Hangar51 39) Helicopter Association International (HAI) 40) Insitu, Inc. 41) Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) 42) Intel Corporation 43) International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
44) Just Innovation 45) Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) 46) Metropolitan Police Department 47) Miami Beach Police Department 48) Miami-Dade International Airport 49) Montgomery County Police Department 50) National Agricultural Aviation Association (NAAA) 51) National Association of State Aviation Officials (NASAO) 52) National Governors Association (NGA) 53) New York City Police Department 54) News Media Coalition (NMC) 55) Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems 56) PrecisionHawk 57) Professional Helicopter Pilots Association (PHPA) 58) Public Safety Aviation Accreditation Commission (PSAAC) 59) Qualcomm 60) RelmaTech 61) Rockwell Collins 62) RTCA 63) SAE International 64) SkyPod, USA 65) Skyward, A Verizon Company 66) Texas Department of Public Safety, Aircraft Operations Division 67) The Brookings Institution 68) The MITRE Corporation 69) The Police Foundation 70) The Toy Association 71) T-Mobile USA 72) uAvionix 73) Verizon 74) X

The estimated $5 fee going to the USS RID service providers? That's going to pay for the service perhaps, but I have no idea how you think it is going to fund the entire RID development costs. The big commercial players are going to be the ones footing the bill.

“Estimated” can can be a slippery slope when dealing with for profit only organizations. Plain and simple business dictates these entities are only in this for financial gain. Costs are always passed on to the consumer....always.

Reactions: Cw4bray and badaxed
“Estimated” can can be a slippery slope when dealing with for profit only organizations. Plain and simple business dictates these entities are only in this for financial gain. Costs are always passed on to the consumer....always.

Yes - for their own financial gain in supplying that service - not to pay for the costs of developing the entire system and subsidizing large-scale commercial use.

This is all way above my 'pay scale' but I do see a fix for those who don't have remote I.D. on their drones... I don't have a clue if my Mavic 2 Pro or Mini, both bought this past late Fall do or not..... from a post on this forum I bought Marco Polos for my drones.... (have never had to use one) but since there is this simple little transmitter that can attach to either drone and does not impede flight... why could a company not develop the same thing with a specific ID code that is programed and then transmits to the controller and ultimately to the internet where possible?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242