DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Cert for non restricted airspace?

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I have an M2P for recreational use, and live in Marin County. All of the NPS Seashore area is NFZ in Marin and San Francisco (Airmap red zones). Most of the open space lands in Marin are under the jurisdiction of CA State Parks, MMWD (local municipal water district -a private entity) and Marin County Parks (Open Space). AIrmap only puts the NPS areas in the red zone. But the other entities expressly prohibit recreational drones -EXCEPT for commercial purposes with permit. So a commercial operator can get a permit and film a movie, TV commercial etc. I'm assuming the fees are substantial.

Currently, I just capture stills & some video for personal use - am only interested in landscapes of primitive areas, etc. But most of the areas I have been taking land based photos of for years are off limits to drones. My day job is commercial photographer/retoucher. And I often create enhanced landscapes for my business website. I certainly don't intend to rock the boat or make waves for recreational fliers. But I'm wondering if I get FAA certification, if it would be worth trying to get permits to capture aerials in the county. To be clear, recreational flying is prohibited, but COMMERCIAL use with fees/permit can be allowed. Of course this could well be beyond my means, as I have heard that a permit can cost $3k+. And I'm also guessing they are not issued with great frequency. Not seeking a loophole, just interested in the possibility of legal access, IF possible.

My guess is that this would NOT be a process worth pursuing. But I am interested in understanding laws/regs just as a taxpayer seeks to understand what's permitted/prohibited with tax laws, etc.
Anyone with similar circumstances? Any opinions?

The first thing to do would be to call one of the entities in question and ask them what the process and cost is.

There are many many states, counties, cities and local municipalities that make up their own regulations and or laws to prohibit drone flight and doing so is completely unlawful. The only regulation that these local governments can legally prohibit is where a drone can takeoff of land from in their jurisdiction. They cannot prohibit drone flight of any kind in the National Airspace. The National Airspace is controlled exclusively by the FAA.

For an example, The California State Park near my home has a posted notice that prohibits the flight of model aircraft or UAS in the State Park. The posted notice does not say anything about “taking off or “landing” in the park, only about prohibiting “UAS FLIGHT”. The State Park even made up their own No Drone Zone signs posted at the entrance of the park. This is totally unlawful according to the FAA Press Release dated July 20, 2018 “FAA Statement-Federal vs. Local Drone Authority”.

The first thing to do would be to call one of the entities in question and ask them what the process and cost is.
Thanks. Yes, that goes without question. But I was looking for feedback from the forum wizards who either live here, or have experienced similar local restrictions.

There are many many states, counties, cities and local municipalities that make up their own regulations and or laws to prohibit drone flight and doing so is completely unlawful. The only regulation that these local governments can legally prohibit is where a drone can takeoff of land from in their jurisdiction. They cannot prohibit drone flight of any kind in the National Airspace. The National Airspace is controlled exclusively by the FAA.

For an example, The California State Park near my home has a posted notice that prohibits the flight of model aircraft or UAS in the State Park. The posted notice does not say anything about “taking off or “landing” in the park, only about prohibiting “UAS FLIGHT”. The State Park even made up their own No Drone Zone signs posted at the entrance of the park. This is totally unlawful according to the FAA Press Release dated July 20, 2018 “FAA Statement-Federal vs. Local Drone Authority”.

Can you provide a link to that ruling? I'll print a copy and put it in my travel bag behing the MP@ protective padding. Never know when it might come in handy for discussion with any individual assuming/asserting authority without knowledge.

^i can pretty much assure you that press release is not going to work when you need it the most. like most anything else, if the situation is under control, you don't need it. if the situation is out of control, a press release is not going to get it under control. doesn't hurt to have it with you but i would be surprised if someone changed their mind about what they think after they read it. i'm a pretty knowledgable person and if i worked for the state and wanted to shut you down, that piece of paper wouldn't even slow me down. ;)

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143