DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Drone Webinar for Recreational Flyers: Fly Safe. Have Fun.

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
FAA Drone Webinar for Recreational Flyers:
Fly Safe. Have Fun.

Recreational Flyers! Please join Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) experts on Thursday, June 27 at 4:00 P.M. ET for a free LIVE webinar on “Recreational Flyers: Fly Safe. Have Fun.”

We will break down the new law that describes how, when, and where you can fly drones for recreational purposes, as well as how the FAA is incrementally rolling out changes.

We’ll also update you on the Low Altitude and Authorization Notification Capability (LAANC), which provides automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. You won’t want to miss this!

Register Here!
Webinar Format:

• Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  • Webinar sessions are hosted in audio and visual format via GoToWebinar.
  • 24 hours before the webinar, you will receive a unique URL that you will use to access the webinar. Please note: your confirmation email will come from “EON Team ([email protected]).”
  • You must download the GoToWebinar software on your computer, smartphone/tablet app, or use the link provided in your registration email.
  • On the day of the webinar you can access the session via the join link in your confirmation email, or using your 9-digit Webinar ID.
  • You are encouraged to read the GoToWebinar How-To Guide ahead of the webinar.
  • Questions and answers received during all of our webinars are available online here.
Recordings of past drone webinars in the series are available on the FAA’s YouTube Channel:

If you can’t join it, they will have it available later for streaming on the same website. Theres also a “How to use LAANC” webinar on July 18, and “How to Navigate UAS Facility Maps” and “How to use DroneZone” for LAANC later in August, scroll down on the above link to see them as well.

Good stuff for all of us!

Here are some Questions and Answers that were handled by the FAA Subject Matter Experts during the Webinar.

This is not an all inclusive list of questions asked and answered.

Q :How will the knowledge test be rolled out? Will it require you to go to a testing center like a part 107? Or will be it be online?

A:The FAA is currently developing the test content and is getting ready to issue a Request for Information to the public to get input on how the test can and should be administered. The intent is for the test to be made available electronically and the FAA is not planning to administer the test at testing centers.

Q: Do FAA rules supersed local rules?

A:The Fact Sheet on State and Local UAS Laws has excellent information on preemption. It can be found at FAA Issues Fact Sheet on State and Local UAS Laws

Q:If I fly over a 100' building... as I'm over it can I go to 300' above it or can I go 400' feet above

A:Under the guidance for recreational flyers, 400 ft above ground level is your maximum altitude. In the example you cite, you could fly no higher than 100 ft above a 300 ft tall obstacle.

Q:What restrictions are there, if any, for operating a recreational drone near a non-towered airfield.

A:It's really more a question of what airspace that airfield lies within. If the airport is in Class G, you only need not interfere with manned aircraft and give way. If it's in controlled airspace, you can only fly at an approved fixed flying site if flying as a limited recreational flyer, or obtain an airspace authorization via LAANC or DroneZone if flying under Part 107.

Q: Will the LAANC Map altitude limitations be considered a hard limit when n LOA is granted by local ATC. What would be the method to obtain a higher limit?

A:The maximum altitude for flight is 400 feet above ground level. If the LOA has established a lower level than 400 feet AGL, LAANC provides for a "Further Coordination" mechanism that allows you to request an altitude higher than your potential LOA but lower than 400 Feet.

Q:If you are within 5 miles of multiple airports, must you notify all of them?
A:The notification of airport/s is no longer valid. That was the old Section 336 rules. Now you must have an Airspace Authorization to operte in controlled airspace. If an airport/s are in Class G airspace, you do not have to notify them of your flight.

Q:If I obtain part 107 certification and also fly for fun do I need to register as recreational flier as well?

A:If you only have "one" drone that you use for Part 107, then you should register that drone under Part 107. You can still operate under "Recreational Exception" with the Part 107 registered drone.

Last edited:
Q: my Aunt is finding shingles in her yard, can I take my drone up so I can see her roof close up to see if any is missing. She is 93 and I am her caregiver and need to see if they are missing so we can turn it in for insurance.
A:Yes - this operation requires a Part 107 certificate.

However , if you recreational fly over the house as long it is in Uncontrolled Airspace Class F or G and not higher than 400 feet and "happen" to get a picture of the roof from various angles then whose to say that was not for fun? It sounds fun to me. :)

i think the faa made it clear in the webinar that intent is the key factor.

overall, i think it was a very, clear and to the point for people that are new and just learning. most folks here wouldn't have learned alot but for me, it's always good to hear it directly from them.

however, some people are not going to be happy with some of the answers. i got the distinct feeling that a recreational laanc was going to be different than a commercial laanc and not simply based on the regulations.

Reactions: BD0G
Q: my Aunt is finding shingles in her yard, can I take my drone up so I can see her roof close up to see if any is missing. She is 93 and I am her caregiver and need to see if they are missing so we can turn it in for insurance.
A:Yes - this operation requires a Part 107 certificate.
Fly over the house, take pictures. Tell your aunt you noticed the shingles. No problem. It is not being done by commission or for pay. You can even give her the pictures. Not flight for commercial (or any) gain.

Reactions: BD0G
Fly over the house, take pictures. Tell your aunt you noticed the shingles. No problem. It is not being done by commission or for pay. You can even give her the pictures. Not flight for commercial (or any) gain.

agreed but you realize the faa wasn't talking loopholes in the regulations. they just gave their answer. their answer to the question (Q) is noted above (A).

there were several answers the faa gave that alot of people won't like. as long as we know what we are getting into; i hate having to depend on "didn't know the law." intent is awesome as long as you know how to use it or have the money/power to use it to your advantage. unfortunately many people are going to be caught off guard. i'm sure there will be thousands who will say "absolutely i went up there look at the roof, what's wrong with that?" thinking climbing up there on a latter or pulling out a camera and taking the picture from the ground level, how's that any different? so they'll admit it. they won't know.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54