DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA expands LAANC TO 100 Airports

Northern_Bob

Reactions
FAA expands LAANC capabilities to 100+ new airports
By Kara Murphy

At the beginning of this month, the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Acting Deputy Administrator, Carl Burleson, announced that Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) would be made available to an additional 109 contract towers. The government agency has acted quickly since the news broke at AUVSI Exponential's keynote presentation.

The FAA has expanded LAANC to increase access for commercial drone pilots in controlled airspace. Still in beta, LAANC was introduced to the public in November, 2017. Applications such as Kittyhawk, AirMap, and Skyward give qualifying remote pilots approval in real-time to access controlled airspace. Without LAANC, the process of getting approval via a waiver could take up to 90 days.

Approximately 600 airports are now covered by the LAANC capability. The FAA also mentions that the list of facilities taking part in LAANC will change. Some airports will drop it altogether. The full list airports added today can be viewed here.

Some of the airports that were recently discontinued LAANC include the following:

Dallas Love Field (DAL)
Baltimore/Washington International (BWI)
Washington/Dulles Int. Airport (IAD)
LaGuardia Airport (LGA)

For a complete guide to LAANC rollout, as it happens, Skyward provides this comprehensive resource free of charge.

Reactions: dawgpilot
All of the airports near me, except the one Class Charlie, are live on LAANC.
I passed the exam for this.
Now all we have to do, is create something interesting worth filming. Nothing but retail, small scale industrial, and pastures.
Class G is better. In this area, much better. I just have to be prepared to pack a lunch
I'm glad I took the exam, though. At least, now I know how the airspace works, albeit to a small extent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User