DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

faa faa far away almost Worthless

frank candor

Reactions
it's probably just me, but i think the FAA should just concentrate on keeping aircraft flying, and leave the pretend pilots and their toy camera drones to themselves, like the Gun Nuts došŸ˜‚

it's probably just me, but i think the FAA should just concentrate on keeping aircraft flying, and leave the pretend pilots and their toy camera drones to themselves, like the Gun Nuts došŸ˜‚
Why the gun nuts insult ? I have both so guess that makes me drone nut too.

I can't find anything about drones or pretend pilots in the US constitution. ;) And ironically, for a little over 75 years, the FAA did just that. Hmmmm. . . . something must have happened.

I can't find anything about drones or pretend pilots in the US constitution.
There also nothing in the Constitution that says anything about Parking Tickets either, but rake up enough of them and you're going to jail...

Can't imagine aviation without everyone flying by the same set of rules.

I for one am glad the FAA is out there. I do not necessarily agree with all the rules, but I am but one and the rules are written for the majority and I can also accept that I am not the center of the Universeā€¦

Now, if the rules were not out there and imagine if you will; you sitting in your favorite seat at the Baseball/Football Game that you spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars to buy, you have taken off work, you paid to fly to the game, you've paid for Motel rooms, and you've rented a car to travel back and forth.

OK, with the stage set and half way though the game, someone decides that they want to watch the game for free and fly their drone into the stadiumā€¦ Due to safety issues the game is delayed. So the drone flies away, the game resumes, but the drone returns, since this is the second time, the game is cancelledā€¦ What the Hey, it's only a game, you would probably have only wasted that money on the rent, the car payment, you kid's braces, etcā€¦ But, Boy aren't we glad we do not have to put up with some those "stupid, wimpy rules" put out by the FAAā€¦

I could go on about drones flying over or hovering over your home, your picnic, outside you daughter's bedroom window. But I think I made my point.

There also nothing in the Constitution that says anything about Parking Tickets either, but rake up enough of them and you're going to jail...
The 10th Amendment. :)

Let's keep it civil guys.

And I'm glad they did. Can't imagine aviation without everyone flying by the same set of rules.

Having been in RC long before drones emerged, I often reflect back at what has happened and it is quite revealing and I think a lot of drone pilots don't realize how they got here (the point of regulations).

That 70 year period that I referred too was roughly from the late 1940s through about 2014. That was the beginning of UA (RC Model) flight in the US. During that stretch the FAA did have a few things to say about UA flight BUT, they appointed the AMA as the over-seer of all model operation in the US. Interestingly enough, the AMA outlined a structure by which flying sites could be established and recognized but had stringent requirements to be met.

In turn, those hundreds and eventually thousands of individual flying sites were run accordingly. Those that wanted to fly models therefore went through a process - they joined the AMA, then they joined a club that had a sponsored field and were introduced to the rules and procedures they needed to learn. New pilots were watched and guided carefully until they became competent. If a new pilot was lazy about rules and safety they could and were booted or quickly found that the cost of crashing and rebuilding was more than they wanted to give and took up a different hobby. Tons of folks who wanted to fly RC found that the skill and experience needed was beyond them.

When drones showed up the process was officially broken. New drone pilots no longer needed to find a field or club. They didn't need to join the AMA and most importantly they didn't need any skill, experience or guidance. They could take off from anywhere at anytime and fly well beyond the pilot's comprehension and skill level.

Then the explosion of new pilots happened, and within just a few years there were enough instances of crashes and near misses for anyone with a brain to see where this hobby was headed. So here we are facing RID and an ever-increasing regulatory atmosphere and yet we still have the same broken process.

YOU NAILED IT !
The F and Double A IS just concentrating on keeping aircraft flying while we pretend pilots and our toy camera drones are INFILTRATING the NAS (NATIONAL AIR SPACE.) We are flying with the Big Boys and if you want to play in the sandbox, NAS, then we need the FAA and their regulations.
B52-D

Last edited:
Why the gun nuts insult ? I have both so guess that makes me drone nut too.

"Mmmm, forbidden dronenut.." (Homer Simpson). ;)

The FAA is treating drones like they do aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54