Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Facility Maps (LAANC Grids)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
This comes up a LOT and we need to do a PSA to all FAA UAS operators. On the UAS Facility Maps (LAANC Grids) there are boxes with a # in it (0 - 400). Some people mistakenly think this is the "allowed altitude by default" for that grid section. This is NOT the case. The altitude listed is the MAX altitude you will most likely get approval if you submit a request via LAANC. This is a mere shortcut so that you don't ask for 300' in a 100' location (it will get denied).

Any and EVERY flight inside of Controlled Airspace must be pre-authorized before the UAS takes off. This would be done via LAANC if it's available and your request is "normal". If it's outside of the listed altitude you'll have to submit a manual request via the FAA Drone Zone portal.

It's also important to know that not EVERY submission gets approval even if less than the noted altitude. An active airport is a very DYNAMIC area and things like Emergencies, Military Operations, VIP Activity, Maintenance, and Equipment Failures can alter normal traffic etc and a seemingly simple and routine request CAN get denied.

I have a current client request that indicates 0 on this grid. Although the LAANC apps indicate further coordination/approval is possible. If I apply (with Pt 107 info), am I likely going to get denied?

I have a current client request that indicates 0 on this grid. Although the LAANC apps indicate further coordination/approval is possible. If I apply (with Pt 107 info), am I likely going to get denied?

You'll have to figure out what Risk Mitigation Procedures they are looking for. Give it a try and then if you get denied ask for more clarification. But it's possible you can get approved if you don't ask for a silly height (like 400' in the ZERO grid). Don't be greedy, request what you need and can work with and you might get lucky.

You'll have to figure out what Risk Mitigation Procedures they are looking for. Give it a try and then if you get denied ask for more clarification. But it's possible you can get approved if you don't ask for a silly height (like 400' in the ZERO grid). Don't be greedy, request what you need and can work with and you might get lucky.
Thanks for the reply. The caveat is the building is one block east of Las Vegas Harry Reid airport, directly under the main landing pattern. I'll start with 150', but will try subsequent 100 if necessary. I recently shot just a half mile north of exact location and was approved for 125'

Thanks for the reply. The caveat is the building is one block east of Las Vegas Harry Reid airport, directly under the main landing pattern. I'll start with 150', but will try subsequent 100 if necessary. I recently shot just a half mile north of exact location and was approved for 125'

One of our members @Vic Moss might be able to shed some more insight into getting approval in that area. I'm fortunate that most of my flights are VERY easy in terms of LAANC.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Reach out to [email protected] and I'll see if I can help.

Best bet is to call ATC UAS POC and tell them what you're trying to do. Ask if they have any specific safety mitigations they'd like to see in a LAANC or Drone Zone application.

I was wondering if anyone is having the same issue as me when trying to view the gridmaps on an iphone. I have an XS running iOS 15 but the same thing was happening on my 6. When I zoom in to a certain level, the page crashes and reloads to the full US map. Any ideas?

I was wondering if anyone is having the same issue as me when trying to view the gridmaps on an iphone. I have an XS running iOS 15 but the same thing was happening on my 6. When I zoom in to a certain level, the page crashes and reloads to the full US map. Any ideas?
Try a different LAANC provider / different app.

There are several, here’s the current list (scroll down the page).

Wasnt looking at the laanc site…it was the link on the faa page to the gridmaps…thanks.

Yeah, that site crashes phones and tablets. It even loads slow when I use the hotspot in my vehicle.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98