DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Investigating Pennsylvania State Police Helicopter Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photo Booth

Reactions
This isn't about drones, per se, but I still think it is pertinent discussion because it involves airspace and flying over crowds of people.

The FAA is investigating the Pennsylvania State Police for using a helicopter to break up a rowdy tailgate party. Video:

Watch after the helicopter doubles back and flies so low that it causes EZ-Ups to become airborne. VERY dangerous because one of the EZ-Ups could have flown into the helicopter's rotors and caused it to crash into the crowd. Not to mention injuries to person or property from flying debris. Reportedly it wasn't just EZ-Ups that went flying. Apparently some BBQ grills and other items were sent flying too.

I don't care how rowdy a party might be, this is absolutely an inappropriate and unsafe use of a helicopter. I hope the FAA takes this pilot's license away.

Here's an article containing the Pennsylvania State Police's statement as well as additional videos shot with cell phones directly below the helicopter. This pilot needs to be permanently grounded for such a monumental lapse in judgement.

FAA investigating state police's use of helicopter for Penn State crowd control

Mark

Reactions: zwt100
I am surprised to see that a helicopter from the state police doing risky and dangerous stuff over people. You don't expect that from a police agency.

Reactions: Mavic-Markie93
Yeah saw that earlier in the week. Direct Violation of safety protocol. Pilot needs to always be sure to have a safe and clear landing spot in case of issues with Helicopter that they could encounter. In this scenario they had none as people were directly below.

This is so irresponsible and does not take property and more importantly human life into account.

Reactions: Mavic-Markie93
Sorry Mark and you can post your update in a ongoing thread on this but this has been posted already .
Another incident for the FAA.
Just carry on in it to cut back on the clutter.
Thanks
IMG_8138.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose