DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA map of heights they would approve

If you have a Part 107 commercial certificate, this map shows what heights they would approve for an exception such as within 5 miles of an airport.
If you are a hobbyist, this could be a useful guide.
ArcGIS Web Application

Thanks for the link, this has been a work in progress and is not complete yet but a great start. Someday we will be able to get real time approvals for flights within the grids.

What I find interesting is that the boundaries in the Airmap app don’t agree with that FAA map. Try this address as an example: 31 Reservoir Rd, West Hills NY. Airmap says that location has no restrictions but the FAA map does.

What I find interesting is that the boundaries in the Airmap app don’t agree with that FAA map. Try this address as an example: 31 Reservoir Rd, West Hills NY. Airmap says that location has no restrictions but the FAA map does.

If you click on "Whats Your Mission" in Airmap and select FAA-107 you will see that your address is now in the boundaries of the airport. I am not sure why it doesn't include it in the "Fly For Fun" mode.

I now see that address appears within the airport boundaries according to the app B4youFly.

But a test with measuring a straight line distance in google maps shows that location as over 5 miles from the designated measuring point of the airport, which is the intersection of the two runways.

I wonder how that airport was allowed to extend its boundaries beyond 5 miles in some areas.

I have a theory: recreational UAV flyers have a 5 mile limitation in regards to flying near an airport. Part 107 commercial flyers can have more restrictions.

I now see that address appears within the airport boundaries according to the app B4youFly.

But a test with measuring a straight line distance in google maps shows that location as over 5 miles from the designated measuring point of the airport, which is the intersection of the two runways.

I wonder how that airport was allowed to its boundaries beyond 5 miles in some areas.

After taking a look on my Foreflight App, it appears that there is a Class B Airspace area that might be over the address you supplied. Class B airspace is not always circular and can take irregular shapes. Not being able to pinpoint your address on my chart it appears that the Class B Airspace in that area ranges from 4000' to 7000'.

IMG_0004.PNG

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000