DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA new rules: test for recreational flyers???

GGehret

Reactions
Hi, all, I keep reading on the FAA site that under the new rules coming out, recreational flyers will have to take and pass a safety test in order to fly their drones. Do you think or know if that test requirement would be retroactive in order to be able to continue to fly or would it be just for new registrants? Just wondering...in the meantime, I'm still reading and studying the manual for part 107. IF I decided to go that route, I'm just hoping I can pass it--I'm terrible at math and memorizing numbers that involve stuff like that. My brain just doesn't work that way--I'm an English teacher!! LOL Thanks.

The test will be for anyone wishing to fly (in the US) under Recreational Rules.

The Part 107 test is really not that hard. It's not about memorizing #'s and answers but learning the subject matter so you come up with the correct answers when asked. You'll probably do a lot better than you expect.

The test will be for anyone wishing to fly (in the US) under Recreational Rules.

The Part 107 test is really not that hard. It's not about memorizing #'s and answers but learning the subject matter so you come up with the correct answers when asked. You'll probably do a lot better than you expect.
I hope so. SO far I've gotten most of the answers correct in the practice questions that follow each chapter in the book I'm reading.
I was just wondering regarding that new test whether or not current rec. flyers will have to take it to continue to fly, or will it only be required for NEW flyers?? I know this is just a "what do you think" question. :) THANKS.

There is no "Grandfathering" when it comes to Federal Regulations. Once the testing is mandated anyone who wishes to utilize the privileges of the operation must take and pass the test. There "could" be a short grace period from the day the test is released until it's enforced but if that's the case it's just a plus.

There is no "Grandfathering" when it comes to Federal Regulations. Once the testing is mandated anyone who wishes to utilize the privileges of the operation must take and pass the test. There "could" be a short grace period from the day the test is released until it's enforced but if that's the case it's just a plus.
Thanks for the info. I sorta thought that might be the case--another reason why I've just started to study the part 107 info. Hopefully, as the FAA website states, this recreational test would be available online. As it is, if/when I decide to take the 107, I'll have to travel 4 hours away. :-(
I appreciate your input. :)

One has to wonder how the FAA will administer applications from potentially more than a million applicants. Badly, would be my guess, seeing as it takes them 2 months to issue a Part 107 cert now.

Reactions: GGehret
With regards to being grandfathered in: On April 6, 1927, William P. MacCracken, Jr., Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Aeronautics, received Pilot License No. 1, a private pilot license. Before accepting the license, MacCracken had offered the honor to Orville Wright, promising to waive the fee and examination. Wright declined because he no longer flew and did not think he needed a Federal license to show that he had been the first man to fly.

MacCracken issued the first Air Commerce Regulations on December 31, 1926. The regulations prescribed operational and air traffic safety rules. They also required all aircraft engaged in interstate or foreign commerce to be licensed and marked with an assigned identification number. Pilots of licensed aircraft were required to hold private or commercial licenses. Commercial pilots were classed as either transport or industrial. Mechanics repairing aircraft engaged in air commerce were required to secure either engine or airplane mechanic licenses, or both. Owners, pilots, and mechanics had until March 1 (later extended to May 1), 1927, to apply for their licenses. Failure to apply was punishable by a $500 fine.
(Today, with inflation, that would be a $7,358.97 fine).;)
Forgot the source reference: https://www.faa.gov/about/history/milestones/media/first_pilots_license.pdf

Is this test an actual Part 107 or is it generic for learning how to fly safe and general rules...

One has to wonder how the FAA will administer applications from potentially more than a million applicants. Badly, would be my guess, seeing as it takes them 2 months to issue a Part 107 cert now.

I would expect that as in Canada, the FAA would institute some form of online testing. In Canada, you go to the transport Canada portal, sign in, choose which test you're applying for (basic or advanced), PAY your money first, then you can proceed to the test. When you finish and submit...or run out of time, it checks the answers and gives you the pass or fail news and what your score is. You can then look at the results. It infuriatingly doesn't tell you what questions you got wrong, but it does tell you how many you got wrong and right in each section...and then some helpful hint like..."Review Air Operations". In the case of the advanced exam, even if you pass, you still have to undergo a flight review...and yes... more money. The flight review is conducted by a qualified flight reviewer and is really f'n extensive...more than just showing you can fly your sUAV.

In discussions at the flight review, there was a TC official who told us that the FAA were indeed looking at the way Canada had implemented the new regulations and the online certification process....so I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the FAA does it...or some variation of it. Makes sense given the potential volume of requests.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I hope so. SO far I've gotten most of the answers correct in the practice questions that follow each chapter in the book I'm reading.
I was just wondering regarding that new test whether or not current rec. flyers will have to take it to continue to fly, or will it only be required for NEW flyers?? I know this is just a "what do you think" question. :) THANKS.
My advice is don’t memorize the practice test answers. You must learn and understand the concepts behind the questions. The Part 107 test ask questions similar to the practice questions, but not word for word.

Throughly understand the sectional charts. Learn the weather section down pat. You’ll do fine.

My advice is don’t memorize the practice test answers. You must learn and understand the concepts behind the questions. The Part 107 test ask questions similar to the practice questions, but not word for word.

Throughly understand the sectional charts. Learn the weather section down pat. You’ll do fine.
Agreed. I am not actually memorizing those, but, as you said, trying to understand the concepts. My truly biggest problem so far, is, as I predicted, is memorizing the airspace altitudes, "sizes", etc. and trying to read the maps. I truly do NOT have a mind for numbers, and even with my glasses, I'm having a hard time actually seeing thru ALL of the jumble of info. on those maps. LOL For one thing, I'm going to have to get myself a magnifying glass to use! I'm also wondering if I "nail" all of the other questions on the test, and screw up the airspace number-involved questions....can I still pass the test. LOL THANKS!

With regards to being grandfathered in: On April 6, 1927, William P. MacCracken, Jr., Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Aeronautics, received Pilot License No. 1, a private pilot license. Before accepting the license, MacCracken had offered the honor to Orville Wright, promising to waive the fee and examination. Wright declined because he no longer flew and did not think he needed a Federal license to show that he had been the first man to fly.

MacCracken issued the first Air Commerce Regulations on December 31, 1926. The regulations prescribed operational and air traffic safety rules. They also required all aircraft engaged in interstate or foreign commerce to be licensed and marked with an assigned identification number. Pilots of licensed aircraft were required to hold private or commercial licenses. Commercial pilots were classed as either transport or industrial. Mechanics repairing aircraft engaged in air commerce were required to secure either engine or airplane mechanic licenses, or both. Owners, pilots, and mechanics had until March 1 (later extended to May 1), 1927, to apply for their licenses. Failure to apply was punishable by a $500 fine.
(Today, with inflation, that would be a $7,358.97 fine).;)
Forgot the source reference: https://www.faa.gov/about/history/milestones/media/first_pilots_license.pdf
Very interesting info. :)

That IS a wonderment. I was reading another post about the Canadian requirements...GOD! I hope the FAA doesn't get THAT crazy. I know there needs to be some level of safety accountability for recreational flyers like myself, but, geezum, I think what they do is overboard. :-(

It looks like Recreational pilots aren't going to get an actual airman certificate (like Part 107 pilots receive). Instead it looks like you will just get some downloadable proof that you took the online test, which you will be required to present to law enforcement officials if questioned. Therefore hopefully the process won't involve any kind of months long delay.

One thing I haven't seen answered yet is if a current Part 107 pilot wants to fly under recreational rules, will their existing Part 107 certificate comply with the recreational testing requirement, or are we going to also need to take that test as well?

Is this test an actual Part 107 or is it generic for learning how to fly safe and general rules...

Any answers right now are purely speculation as only the FAA knows which direction they are going with this material.

Oh the money that's going to be made, incredible!
Could you explain how/where the $$ will be generated? I'm interested to understand this point more indepth.

Brilliant and spot on advice. Knowing the Subject Matter is the key to Aviation Safety as opposed to "memorizing test answers".

It looks like Recreational pilots aren't going to get an actual airman certificate (like Part 107 pilots receive). Instead it looks like you will just get some downloadable proof that you took the online test, which you will be required to present to law enforcement officials if questioned. Therefore hopefully the process won't involve any kind of months long delay.

One thing I haven't seen answered yet is if a current Part 107 pilot wants to fly under recreational rules, will their existing Part 107 certificate comply with the recreational testing requirement, or are we going to also need to take that test as well?

Yes a Part 107 operator is allowed to fly "recreationally" without additional testing.

Any answers right now are purely speculation as only the FAA knows which direction they are going with this material.
Could you explain how/where the $$ will be generated? I'm interested to understand this point more indepth.

How the funds will be generated? Really? UAV owners for one! Betch'a a buck there will be fees... $5 - $20 I suspect. Multiply that by millions in the US and easily build that new HQ for the FAA. Why not just raise manned aircraft? (To easy of a fix) To FAA Guide to Low-Flying Aircraft Section 1. LFA.Part B. (I just made that up) Manned Aircraft may not be operated closer than 700 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

I'll go on record and take that bet. I bet you a solid $10 that the Recreational Test, if done online (in person testing is always a fee but the FAA doesn't make anything from it) there will be no fee for testing. I'll send you a $10 bill in the mail if the Recreational test (NOT in person) costs anything.

A good portion of Manned Aircraft is done below 700', 500' etc for reasons.

Everyone wants to change the rules when they get their new R/C toys and that's not how it works. We're lucky we get to use the airspace at all and not regulated to Fixed Sites forever.

I'll go on record and take that bet. I bet you a solid $10 that the Recreational Test, if done online (in person testing is always a fee but the FAA doesn't make anything from it) there will be no fee for testing. I'll send you a $10 bill in the mail if the Recreational test (NOT in person) costs anything.

Everyone wants to change the rules when they get their new R/C toys and that's not how it works. We're lucky we get to use the airspace at all and not regulated to Fixed Sites forever.
Oh great, now 91,788 people will see there's gambling on this site, might have some new interest "Premium Gambling Pilots" There's a fee for that too ;) With the invention of UAVs and technology spreading like biblical locus in the air space, it's only going to get more traffic. Pizza, can of Coke, Amazon, your prescriptions, the list goes on. It's coming like it or not. Layering the airspace needs a'bit more thought-out process to accept these Pizza's and your pack of smokes, not to mention Ehang. It's not the "Flying toys" as you mentioned that needs to be regulated...well somewhat. It's accepting them into the layers of goods and services to come...again, not to mention Ehang and others. I agree Manned Aircraft has had the airspace at these levels, might be time to change that. If we talk about safety, Manned AC will have a better chance of finding someplace to land, recovering from no lift in the wings. You see it in the News almost every day, engine failure, running out of fuel (this was just in the News) not high enough to recover and BAMM, skin rash! That's another death! Has there been a death with a small UAV?

I have a 1$ stuck on the wall, let's C how this all plays out.

Last edited:

In my military career I used to be one of those guys that spent a lot of time flying below 500'. However, I predict that if UAS are ever going to proliferate in a commercial sense then the airspace occupied by manned aircraft has to shrink, and raising the floor makes most sense. I'd go even further and say that existing controlled airspace needs to be reviewed and in many cases shrunk; for example, I live 2 miles away from an airport that has Class D around it, and that airfield does almost nothing but recreational flying. If the volume of traffic at any airport is low, especially if it has no scheduled commercial traffic, it shouldn't have any controlled airspace at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929