DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107 Recertification

Cmeflydrone

Reactions
Not seeing much on the forums about this. Any thoughts on prep or online resources for?

My sources tell me it has less questions than the first test, but the questions are harder.

My 107 is up for recert next month and I'm worried that with the Coronavirus it might be tough getting into a testing facility

Reactions: hiflyer201
My sources tell me it has less questions than the first test, but the questions are harder.

My 107 is up for recert next month and I'm worried that with the Coronavirus it might be tough getting into a testing facility
Hopefully they will make some accommodation or temporary extension.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger

It does have fewer questions, but they did not seem harder. Removing all the METAR stuff apparently made them easier for a lot of non-aviation people.

It does have fewer questions, but they did not seem harder. Removing all the METAR stuff apparently made them easier for a lot of non-aviation people.

Found this, I don't know how accurate it is.

initial-versus-recurrent-remote-pilot-aka-drone-license-test.jpg

Reactions: Gindra
Thanks all, good to know.

That's a concern for sure. There are several places online that give locations of testing facility's and it looks like most general aviation class D airports have a flight school with a testing facility. Any flight school will be able to supply you with the one closest. With the current situation, getting an appointment to take the exam could be a problem. The online scheduling website is saying that there are delays and that no-shows won't be charged. I would rather go directly thru the Testing facility however. As to the FAA..who knows what the FAA policy will be as far as extending expiration dates.
The Knowledge test doesn't require an instructor endorsement for either the initial re-currency test or the test after a failure. (that's a good thing)
Everything one needs to know is listed in FAA S_ACS_10A available at FAA.GOV.
I was surprised at how many different items one could be tested on..I'm a licensed pilot..I didn't have to know anything ;)

Found this, I don't know how accurate it is.

initial-versus-recurrent-remote-pilot-aka-drone-license-test.jpg
Very accurate from my experience with the recurrent test a couple of months ago. Although I didn't keep track, I'm estimating that at least 50% (probably more) of the questions were airspace classification questions requiring intimate knowledge of sectionals. If I were studying again, which I will eventually, I'll spend much more time familiarizing myself with sectionals and airspace classification.

That chart is accurate. Its from Jonathan Rupprecht - he's a well known UAS attorney in the US.

That chart is up to date and correct. For anyone using sample questions be careful reading the questions on the actual test. The FAA is known for using some of the wording in sample questions in incorrect answers on the actual knowledge test...as in.. sounds right and you jump on the answer without reading the other two choices.. RFQ is important! In the last re- certification class for flight instructors it was drilled into the study text that the FAA was making a major effort to remove all questions that appear in ground school sample tests.
Darn..it's a bummer that they are requiring UAS remote pilots to appear in person to take the re-currency exam. They really have to re-think that rule. Maybe they will because of the current situation.

Took the part 107 exam two days ago and passed on my first try with an 85%. I was averaging 91-92% on my practice exams. The actual test is tricky and will require one to really put in the time and effort to learn the material. While its not as hard as the Bar exam, its still pretty tough.

Last edited:
Took the part 107 exam two days and passed on my first try with an 85%. I was averaging 91-92% on my practice exams. The actual test is tricky and will require one to really put in the time and effort to learn the material. While its not as hard as the Bar exam, its still pretty tough.
congratulations!

Reactions: Starhawk
I found the recurrent to be much harder because guessing is not something I do well.
When they are asking if you can register your drone in two countries, they are getting desperate.
It was like "if your cat runs out of the house while you are flying, should your visual observer log it?
Hah, trick question, you have no visual observer"
It was enough real knowledge you can always pass, then a free for all on how ridiculous they could be.
Really worth my $160, what a shame the FAA got forced into fake regulating drones.

I found the recurrent to be much harder because guessing is not something I do well.
When they are asking if you can register your drone in two countries, they are getting desperate.
It was like "if your cat runs out of the house while you are flying, should your visual observer log it?
It was enough real knowledge you can always pass, then a free for all on how ridiculous they could be.
Really worth my $160, what a shame the FAA got forced into fake regulating drones.

What was wrong with the registration question?

nothing, by definition if they ask it its relevant. They are not regulating drones though, no more than they are herding cats in South America.

nothing, by definition if they ask it its relevant. They are not regulating drones though, no more than they are herding cats in South America.

I don't follow your reasoning. In what sense are the regulations relating to sUAS registration not regulating drones?

I don't understand either. Violations of the FAA regulations can land you in front of an administrative law judge with significant civil penalties hanging in the balance. FAA regulations all seem theoretical until you're a defendant up against highly trained FAA lawyers/prosecutors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme