DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107 Study Guides Or Courses?

Genzeka

Reactions
Does anyone know where I can get a good study guide or a good online course for the Part 107 test?

You can find a list of commonly used FAA Part 107 study guides and courses here.

Reactions: Genzeka
A personal recommendation would be to check out RemotePilot101. Jason is a terrific instructor and his curriculum of video lessons is well done. He also produces training videos for private pilots and has a lot of experience in educational videos. He updates his lessons to cover any changes in Part 107 and you have access to them for life.

That being said, I know several folks who invested just a few dollars and used the FAA materials to pass the knowledge test. The list of resources msinger has compiled is impressive and will give you a wonderful base for research and exploration in following your quest.

I didn't take a course and studied on my own. I used Helping Individuals and Businesses Navigate Drone Law, 3DR's sample quizzes, FAA downloads (in particular their study guide), assorted sectional downloads, and plenty of Googling. I kept taking the quizzes over and over until I consistently could get in the high 90% range. Although I have no idea what your test may have on it specifically, I would know at a minimum the following:

Sectional charts, their legends, and how to read them.
Airspace classification and how it reads on a sectional chart.
METAR (weather) abbreviations and how to read them.
Impacts of weather on flying
Aeronautical Decision Making and Judgement.
Know the abbreviations (I made flash cards).

I actually enjoyed studying for the test and I learned a great deal. It seemed overwhelming at first, but going through the quizzes and researching my wrong answers until I really understood how to get the right answer got me through the test. (And I learned a ton of stuff which has already proven helpful!)

I had great success on the actual test. I took my time and still had 33% of my allotted time left over to review my answers (which I did). I booked the test and gave
myself about 10 days/2 weeks to study. I hit it hard (6 hours a day) for the last 2 or 3 days before the test.

Good Luck and Happy Flying!

II have used and highly suggest UAV Ground School.

Here's what one fellow UAS pilot said after passing his Part 107 last week:

I just took and passed my Part 107 course yesterday, thanks to Gold Seal! I found their course here in the forums and decided to buy it and spend plenty time learning the materials and concepts. The practice quizzes and practice tests were a huge learning tool and they have been very responsive and helpful.

I can not recommend Gold Seal enough. It is well worth it to have a solid resource backed with a great reputation and the materials are presented in an easy to assimilate way. You WILL pass if you take your time with this great course.

I have been a technical instructor myself (Apple, iOS, OS X/macOS) for more than 15 years and I teach CLE courses for a number of legal entities and the FL Bar. I appreciate how well the UAS course was put together and I know that it's not easy to construct complex materials to be delivered in an easy to understand format to be most effective. You guys nailed it! Ruddell makes the modules easy to understand and uses excellent illustrations to clarify things that are a bit confusing to the newbies.

Now, as I begin exploring adding 'drone pilot' to my resumé, I truly appreciate the quality product that Gold Seal delivered in getting this off the ground for me. I would tell anyone taking the course to not rush through it, don't just try and memorize answers - instead, take a few weeks or even more, as I did, and learn the concepts behind everything. You need to understand this stuff for practice in the real world, not just to get over the hump of passing the 107 test. This defines the difference between someone just wanting to jump out there and a truly professional approach. Gold Seal can get you started to being the professional you want to be if you take advantage of what they offer.

Which of these books or courses do you like the most?
I don't use them myself. Those are the resources people constantly recommend in this forum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake