DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA-recognized CBO safety guidelines?

PeRo

Reactions
I am shortly ahead of an Arizona Road Trip. Already did the registration and TRUST, but now struggling with the following requirement (from TRUST)

"If asked by law enforcement or FAA personnel, a recreational flyer must provide proof of drone registration and that they have completed this course. Both documents may be in paper or electronic format. Recreational flyers must also be able to explain which FAA-recognized CBO safety guidelines they are following."

What am I expected to tell LE about "FAA-recognized CBO safety guidelines"? Are that common guidelines or does each CBO its own thing?

Thanks!

I downloaded and printed the AMA Safety handbook.
Heres the link....

Thanks, lots of important stuff there.

But to put it in other words, what would you tell the Authorities if you are asked for ? "Recreational flyers must also be able to explain which FAA-recognized CBO safety guidelines they are following."

As of right now, the AMA is the closest thing to a CBO yet I don't think they are yet "officially" a CBO. If you follow ~44809 you're good to go until CBO's do become recognized but of course the AMA's guidelines are safe to follow but make sure you follow whichever closely because if you are flying outside of "whatever" you subscribe to then you are then by DEFAULT liable for all of Part 107.

Reactions: PeRo
As I understand it, I think.
If asked by a LEO, i would show him that safety handbook. That's why your required to carry the Trust cert, safety handbook either paper or digital copies.
Additional items to be considered are a mantinence logbook and a preflight checklist. Although i dont think those 2 are required for a Rec flyer, yet. Probably good to have though.

Reactions: PeRo
As of right now, the AMA is the closest thing to a CBO yet I don't think they are yet "officially" a CBO. If you follow ~44809 you're good to go until CBO's do become recognized but of course the AMA's guidelines are safe to follow but make sure you follow whichever closely because if you are flying outside of "whatever" you subscribe to then you are then by DEFAULT liable for all of Part 107.

Thanks for your explanation! What did confuse me was the word 'which` in the expression `...explain which FAA-recognized CBO safety guidelines`...
I was up to date with the FAA regs until beginning of 2020, when recreational intercont-travel to US more or less was stopped. So, now need to familiarize with new doc requirements. However, the guidelines are similar to those in Europe.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for your explanation! What did confuse me was the word 'which` in the expression `...explain which FAA-recognized CBO safety guidelines`...
I was up to date with the FAA regs until beginning of 2020, when recreational intercont-travel to US more or less was stopped. So, now need to familiarize with new doc requirements. However, the guidelines are similar to those in Europe.

Yes it's worded/designed so that many CBO "can" be recognized but as of right now none are official.

If asked by a LEO, i would show him that safety handbook. That's why your required to carry the Trust cert, safety handbook either paper or digital copies.
Additional items to be considered are a mantinence logbook and a preflight checklist. Although i dont think those 2 are required for a Rec flyer, yet. Probably good to have though.

Thanks again!
Seems, I missed that point to carry a digital copy of the safety handbook. As the regs are similar in USA and Europe (at least major parts), sufficient knowledge should not be an issue.

Reactions: BigAl07
You don’t have to carry around the handbook, you just need to be able to say you are following either the AMA guidelines or the basic FAA safety guidelines for recreational flyers if asked which CBO rules you are following.

Pro tip: it’s easier to follow the basic FAA safety guidelines for recreational flyers because they are essentially the same as the statutory requirements you have to follow anyway. If you follow the AMA guidelines there are some things they require you wouldn’t have to do under the FAA safety guidelines.

Thanks for the info, brett.
But this is exactly how the confusion starts. Being a new pilot I read a lot of threads, more than i can remember, lol.
Its repeated quite often about using rules from a recognized CBO's. Ok, but none are faa endorsed, hmmmm, wtf. Ok, the AMA rules are acceptable, I'll use them.
Now heres the really confusing part...
Out of everything I've read, and that's a lot over the last 2 months. I've haven't seen mentioned the faa has their own safety guide to follow.
Wouldnt this be easier if the faa just put together a short concise outline type info memo on exactly what's needed to fly within 44809 criteria. The way it is now, it's a cluster duck. A little info here, a little there, use a CBO's, oh none are faa approved, but AMA is ok. Geeesh!

I'm starting to the think the FAA doesnt want the 44809 exception, probably cause it wasnt their idea. So, let's make it really confusing and hard.

Reactions: 883
But this is exactly how the confusion starts. Being a new pilot I read a lot of threads, more than i can remember, lol.
Its repeated quite often about using rules from a recognized CBO's. Ok, but none are faa endorsed, hmmmm, wtf. Ok, the AMA rules are acceptable, I'll use them.
Out of everything I've read, and that's a lot over the last 2 months. I've haven't seen mentioned the faa has their own safety guide to follow.
Wouldnt this be easier if the faa just put together a short concise outline type info memo on exactly what's needed to fly within 44809 criteria. The way it is now, it's a cluster duck. A little info here, a little there, use a CBO's, oh none are faa approved, but AMA is ok. Geeesh!

I'm starting to the think the FAA doesnt want the 44809 exception, probably cause it wasnt their idea. So, let's make it really confusing and hard.
The FAA is all for the 44809 exemption. They fully understand that the recreational drone world is the best gateway to instill a love of aviation in today's youth.

Also, the FAA didn't come up with 44809, Congress did. They just told the FAA to implement it.

You don’t have to carry around the handbook, you just need to be able to say you are following either the AMA guidelines or the basic FAA safety guidelines for recreational flyers if asked which CBO rules you are following.

Pro tip: it’s easier to follow the basic FAA safety guidelines for recreational flyers because they are essentially the same as the statutory requirements you have to follow anyway. If you follow the AMA guidelines there are some things they require you wouldn’t have to do under the FAA safety guidelines.

Thanks for this practical hint!

The FAA does have their own safety guidelines but it’s just the rules from the law that everybody has to follow regurgitated. I think the only additional rule the FAA has is to fly in a safe manner, including not flying under the influence, which isn’t explicitly required in the law. The FAA’s safety guidelines are here:

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio