DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA registration duration?

Digitaldias

Reactions
Just curious how long the 5$ registration with the FAA is valid for?
I am travelling to Seattle in January, and might be back again in july, and if the registration is only valid for a year at the time, I may want to delay it.

At this time, hobbyists are no longer required to register with the FAA. See more details here.

Thanks! That saved me 5$ :)
Other than the obvious rules of conduct, such as max height and being able to see the drone at all times, not flying over people, accidents, buildings and airports, are there any particular things I should be mindful of in the state of Washington? I.e. Would it be OK to fly off a dock in downtown Seattle to get aerials of the city skyline?

Not that it matters at the moment but it was for 3 years .

While the court decision has been made, it has not been enforced as of yet. The decision is under appeal by the FAA.

The FAA website still requires operators to register their UAVs if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg).

Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.

The FAA's website: sUAS Registration

Reactions: Digitaldias
While the court decision has been made, it has not been enforced as of yet. The decision is under appeal by the FAA.
Do you know of a legit source to verify this? This is the last related article I could find on the FAA's website. This thread started by John Taylor states the following:

"The ruling was issued on May 19, 2017, but does not become effective until the clerk issues a “mandate.” The court ordered that the mandate be held until seven days after the disposition of any timely petition for rehearing or petition for rehearing en banc. The FAA has 45 days to file such a motion. By my calculation, the mandate could issue July 5, 2017, or upon disposition of any motion by the FAA, whichever occurs later."

Last edited:
I agree, the mandate to the ruling that sUAVs are not required to register could become effective after July 5, 2017, or upon disposition of any motion by the FAA.
However at this date, June 25, 2017, the registration requirement is still in effect.

However at this date, June 25, 2017, the registration requirement is still in effect.
I hear you -- and I see the same in John's comments in the thread I linked above. Where did you see the decision is under appeal by the FAA?

I heard this, albeit casually, from FAA operations inspectors I am in contact with through my work.

Got it. It's odd that there's no official source that documents this (or it's hard to track down). All we have is a bunch of reports from seemingly legit sources saying registration is no longer required.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu