DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA registration renewal

wco81

Reactions
Registered my Mavic 2 Pro back in April 2019 and went to renew my registration.

On the home page of the FAA Drone Zone site, it all showed info only about Part 107.

I tried to renew as recreational flyer but there was no easy way to do it so I emailed them and they informed me that my certificate number is for a Part 107.

Don't you have to pass some test to get a Part 107 registration? Or anyone can register but there is a license which is separate from FAA registration?

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Do you have a 107 pilot certificate? If so, all your drones get registered there.

Do you have a 107 pilot certificate? If so, all your drones get registered there.
No, I never did any training or take a test, which is what I thought was required.

Do you take a test through the FAA or how else did they issue me a Part 107 certificate number without my proving I studied or passed a test?

I think you need one of the FASS Team members to weigh in. But my understanding is that when you get your recreational certificate you can get a recreational registration that you use for all your drones. However, if you register your drones individually, that is under Part 107 even though your license is recreational.

Reactions: RJCRNA and Maviac
No, I never did any training or take a test, which is what I thought was required.

Do you take a test through the FAA or how else did they issue me a Part 107 certificate number without my proving I studied or passed a test?
I don't know if it's changed but at one point the FAA site was not super intuitive about recreational v. Part 107 registration. For example, I realized after the fact back in 2018 that I'd registered my first UAS under Part 107. No big deal, and I got my part 107 certificate a month later, but I could have registered under recreational.

My understanding is that anyone can register their AC under 107 if they want (someone can correct me if I'm wrong; I know they CAN register them but not sure of the legal effect). The number they're giving you is almost certainly the AC registration certificate number, not a Part 107 airman number.

Well in the last 3 years, I was never asked to show the certificate. I have the email with the cert handy.

I did my part, figure I will never be asked to produce it so maybe it's not worth worrying about.

Drone registration has little to do with the rec flyer or commercial pilot certificate.

Only that if you are flying a Pt. 107 mission you need both the 107 drone registration on your aircraft and your current Pt. 107 Remote Pilot Certificate.

You could register your drone anew as rec and change the tail #. The advantage of doing so is that for rec flying you can put as many drones as you want on one rec registration.

Pt. 107 registration is only for one drone.

Reactions: Crow Horse

Your drone is registered for Part 107 you do not have a 107 certificate from registering the aircraft.

When you originally registered your drone did you do it yourself on the FAA DroneZone or did you go through a third party that registered it for you?

Since it is up for renewal you can remove it from 107 individual registration and you can register under the exemption for recreational and be able to use the same number on any drone you own.

Did it myself.

I think I knew what Part 107 entailed back then but maybe I clicked the wrong links.

Did it myself.

I think I knew what Part 107 entailed back then but maybe I clicked the wrong links.
If you have no plans to get 107 certified I would suggest you cancel the 107 registration near its expiration date and then register under the exception for recreational. Then that same $5 for 3 years will go a lot farther if you have more than one drone.

Reactions: SethB
I don't know if it's changed but at one point the FAA site was not super intuitive about recreational v. Part 107 registration. For example, I realized after the fact back in 2018 that I'd registered my first UAS under Part 107. No big deal, and I got my part 107 certificate a month later, but I could have registered under recreational.

My understanding is that anyone can register their AC under 107 if they want (someone can correct me if I'm wrong; I know they CAN register them but not sure of the legal effect). The number they're giving you is almost certainly the AC registration certificate number, not a Part 107 airman number.
I think you’re right. I went through the same experience when renewing my Registration and I got confused by reference to 107 which of course I don’t have. It was clarified by the FAA and I simply think I paid twice for Registering my drone. Only a few $s. I have Trust of course.

Registered my Mavic 2 Pro back in April 2019 and went to renew my registration.

On the home page of the FAA Drone Zone site, it all showed info only about Part 107.

I tried to renew as recreational flyer but there was no easy way to do it so I emailed them and they informed me that my certificate number is for a Part 107.

Don't you have to pass some test to get a Part 107 registration? Or anyone can register but there is a license which is separate from FAA registration?

All drones do not have to be registered for Part 107. You only need to register a drone Part 107 IF you are using it that way. You can still own and operate any drone for recreational purposes and register it that way. Now, that said, when you originally registered your drone you could have registered it under Part 107 many people do with the intent to compete training and fly commercially. You can make that distinction when you intitally register. I always say register it Part 107 and you won't have to change it later on if you decide to fly commercial and complete the testing. Any drone above 249 grams, (that's ABOVE 249 grams) must be registered one way or the other.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
I have 2 M1P's so they are over the 250gram mark. Prior to these i had a SkyViper 2900 pro which i also had to register. this morning i got an email form the FAA saying i had 180 days to renew my registration. so i filled out the form for my two M1P's and was charged $10 and got two different reg numbers that frankly are different from the original ones. I am very confused. I am a recreational flyer and thought i only needed one registration number and can use it on multiple drones. any thoughts?

I have 2 M1P's so they are over the 250gram mark. Prior to these i had a SkyViper 2900 pro which i also had to register. this morning i got an email form the FAA saying i had 180 days to renew my registration. so i filled out the form for my two M1P's and was charged $10 and got two different reg numbers that frankly are different from the original ones. I am very confused. I am a recreational flyer and thought i only needed one registration number and can use it on multiple drones. any thoughts?
When you registered did you pay attention to exactly how you were going to register them? There should have been options as for 107 recreational.
The email reminder is an automated message sent out so you need to pay attention exactly what it states for for what aircraft.

It sounds like you didn't "remew" but actually registered both aircraft as new. No harm no foul it's only an extra $5.

I made the same mistake in 2019 as @maviac described. When I discovered the error, I just canceled the drone in the 107 area and re-registered it in the Recreational area. An additional cost of about the same as a Salted Caramel Mocha Grande...

Thank you all for the help. I reached out to the FAA and as mentioned above, i cancelled the 2 regs under the 107 and renewed as a recreational pilot. I basically donated $10 to the FAA as that money will not be refunded. Small price to pay for a learning lesson.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost