DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration to be required again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duplicate post, let us keep it all on the same page please.
FAA Registration to be required again...

Where? (You just linked to my post). I did a quick search. Didn’t see it on the first page of the News section.

And the article came out today, whereas the most recent News posting was 10 days ago.

Instead of jumping on the newbie, I feel like I should be praised for at least posting a news article in the News section (after looking for prior posts of same) instead of in Mavic Pro Discussions or General Discussions... :);):(:p (Since emotion doesn’t come across well in posts, and in case the smileys don’t cover it, I’m just giving you a hard time. Not seriously offended in anyway! Just want to clarify. Haha).

But it’s all good....

Last edited:
It should be clear by now that the _only_ reason this is being done is so the FAA can push safety information to people who fly drones and to circumvent section 336 (the "registration" allows the FAA to add a 400' rule to flying).

i would assume this is retroactive too, right? to anyone who bought a drone during the time when it wasn't required, they'd now be required to register.

Reactions: fbcx
i would assume this is retroactive too, right? to anyone who bought a drone during the time when it wasn't required, they'd now be required to register.

It's about buying a drone, it's a registration to fly. So it won't apply to past flights but it will apply if you want to fly after the registration. You are not registering a drone, you are registering yourself as a person who wants to fly a UAV.

I'm not sure about what this does or doesn't suggest as far as FAA dictating things like max flight height, etc, but from a "user education" standpoint of being a way to educate people on safe flying and airspace rules, etc, that seems to be a good thing, correct?

I'm not sure about what this does or doesn't suggest as far as FAA dictating things like max flight height, etc, but from a "user education" standpoint of being a way to educate people on safe flying and airspace rules, etc, that seems to be a good thing, correct?

What about asking (or even requiring) manufactures to simply put a brochure in the box with the drone? There is a novel idea on how to educate people. When you click okay to a long, long agreement... how often do you read everything in that agreement? Truth is, the registration does next to nothing to educate people. It's also a way for the FAA to push information to people via their email address.

I don't have much of an issue with the registration as it does next to nothing (I do have an issue with them adding in the 400' rule) but it's simply a lie from the FAA. Always has been. What would better serve this issue is to have a sit down with manufactures and agree how to _educate_ the public. The registration _will_ (again) help get the media off this non-subject but it won't actually solve any issues.

I guess the other issue I have is that the registration creates more issues. There are soooo many laws and rules for flying UAV's right now it's just stupid. No one can be expected to know all that apply to flying. There are people every day that post in this forum that are not clear on all of them.

As I mentioned above, I think the public would be much better served if manufactures simply put a big bright warning in with each drone that lists the Section 336 rules (for the US). It would be _far_ more effective then this registration.

What about asking (or even requiring) manufactures to simply put a brochure in the box with the drone? There is

As I mentioned above, I think the public would be much better served if manufactures simply put a big bright warning in with each drone that lists the Section 336 rules (for the US). It would be _far_ more effective then this registration.
What about asking (or even requiring) manufactures to simply put a brochure in the box with the drone?

Maybe they could put some common sense in the box too, alongside the brochure, maybe a course of anti stupid pills too :D;)

But seriously, your idea makes sense, far more than the registration idea - which a lot people wont bother with anyway-
Plus many who buy a drone, may not see it any different to say buying an RC Car or boat and may not realze there are rules/laws so a brochure seems a sensible way to educate and hopefully for some once they know there are rules they will look into it more and understand its not a fly wherever you like toy

Does anyone have a link to the page to register and when this goes effective. I literally just bought my drones and was under the assumption I didn't have to register but I guess I do now.

Follow-up this is the registration that requires the $5 fee correct?

I literally just bought my drones and was under the assumption I didn't have to register but I guess I do now.

At this very moment it's NOT required but it will be any time now. Go ahead and register now IF you intend to when it is required.

Follow-up this is the registration that requires the $5 fee correct?
$5 for 3 years.

Keep in mind you will be registering YOU the operator and putting that FAA Reg# on any and all "hobby" aircraft. It's the same # for all hobby but commercial UAS will register each aircraft and get a different FAA Reg# for each one.

If you own 25 hobby aircraft you register YOU and put the same assigned FAA Reg# on all of them.

If you own 25 "Commercial" UAS you register the aircraft individually and each one gets a unique FAA Reg# and each one costs $5 per 3 years.

... Plus many who buy a drone, may not...realze there are rules/laws so a brochure seems a sensible way to educate and hopefully for some once they know there are rules they will look into it more and understand its not a fly wherever you like toy
This has been a concern of mine ~ for all of the drone owners in the world, we here (on this forum) are but a very small percentage of the total. I read just about everything here, and continue to learn something new every day. But, I fear that the majority of droners out there are just winging it (see what I did there? quite clever, I must say)... @tcope's idea of including a brochure with every drone would go much further than FAA registration. I registered years ago when it was first announced. Then I kept my FAA reg on my drone after the FAA lost their case in court. So then, what have I learned by having an FAA reg # on my drone? Absolutely nothing...

Reactions: Dw911
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121