DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Good stuff - the only issue I have is where he says that outside of the 3 mile radius a hobbyist drone pilot could legally fly as high as he/she wants (7:43).

Good stuff - the only issue I have is where he says that outside of the 3 mile radius a hobbyist drone pilot could legally fly as high as he/she wants (7:43).
Depends on the Class of the Airport. Class B, not so much. Could be 5 miles Zero ceiling stepping up to 100, 200, 300 as you move further away like an inverted wedding cake. I'm in Class B airspace 25 miles from DFW and 8 miles from Dallas Love and my ceiling is 200 FT (two blocks West and it is 100 FT). I have to travel pretty far East (out of the county, maybe 2 counties over) to get to a 400 FT ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Depends on the Class of the Airport. Class B, not so much. Could be 5 miles Zero ceiling stepping up to 100, 200, 300 as you move further away like an inverted wedding cake. I'm in Class B airspace 25 miles from DFW and 8 miles from Dallas Love and my ceiling is 200 FT (two blocks West and it is 100 FT). I have to travel pretty far East (out of the county, maybe 2 counties over) to get to a 400 FT ceiling. In NO case can a Hobbyist ever legally exceed a 400 FT ceiling, I don't care who tells you that unless it's the enforcement division of the FAA.
Don't forget E airspace as well especially when it begins at the surface. Apps like UAV Forecast and B4UFly don't show those areas

Depends on the Class of the Airport. Class B, not so much. Could be 5 miles Zero ceiling stepping up to 100, 200, 300 as you move further away like an inverted wedding cake. I'm in Class B airspace 25 miles from DFW and 8 miles from Dallas Love and my ceiling is 200 FT (two blocks West and it is 100 FT). I have to travel pretty far East (out of the county, maybe 2 counties over) to get to a 400 FT ceiling. In NO case can a Hobbyist ever legally exceed a 400 FT ceiling, I don't care who tells you that unless it's the enforcement division of the FAA.
I've seen it said many times here that there's no height limit.... but even if that was true, it would effectively not matter because flying beyond line-of-sight is prohibited...and it's pretty hard to see (and keep seeing) your drone beyond 1000'.

Reactions: 51 Drones
I've seen it said many times here that there's no height limit.... but even if that was true, it would effectively not matter because flying beyond line-of-sight is prohibited...and it's pretty hard to see (and keep seeing) your drone beyond 1000'.
I see you're in Canada, I don't know what your regs are but here there is a height limit - 400' and that's for hobbyists. It takes some interpretation but it's there.

FAR 101.41(b)The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization

In the US that nationwide community-based organization Is the AMA and a June 2016 letter from the FAA Administrator recognizes the AMA as such. From their safety code;

2. Model aircraft pilots will:
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.

This is the way the FAA will interpret FAR 101.41(b) if you're flying as a hobbyist. In FAR 107 the height limit is spelled out.

And if you can't operate under a "nationwide community-based organization," then you're required to comply with FAR 107

Last edited:
Reactions: AKflyer
Unless it is in uncontrolled airspace, I wouldn't bet my Mavic on that.

I see you're in Canada, I don't know what your regs are but here there is a height limit - 400' and that's for hobbyists. It takes some interpretation but it's there.

FAR 101.41(b)The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization

In the US that nationwide community-based organization Is the AMA and a June 2016 letter from the FAA Administrator recognizes the AMA as such. From their safety code;

(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.

This is the way the FAA will interpret FAR 101.41(b) if you're flying as a hobbyist. In FAR 107 the height limit is spelled out.

And if you can't operate under a "nationwide community-based organization," then you're required to comply with FAR 107
Education not required. I'm commercially licensed on both sides of the border.

But note that the AMA's 400 ft restriction that you quoted clearly states that it only applies when flying within 3 miles of an airport, and doesn't preclude flying above 400 ft - it simply requires notifying the airport. And the FAA letter that you referenced that recognizes the AMA (which was July 2016 if it is the one that I'm thinking of) also confirms that the AMA guidelines do not include a blanket altitude restriction.

Reactions: 51 Drones
But note that the AMA's 400 ft restriction that you quoted clearly states that it only applies when flying within 3 miles of an airport, and doesn't preclude flying above 400 ft - it simply requires notifying the airport. And the FAA letter that you referenced that recognizes the AMA (which was July 2016 if it is the one that I'm thinking of) also confirms that the AMA guidelines do not include a blanket altitude restriction.

I stand to be corrected - now let's talk about where class E airspace begins

Last edited:

That is exactly what I stated in the video. Beyond 3 miles, the 400agl does not apply FOR HOBBYISTS FLYING UNDER PART 101. There is no verbiage anywhere that states otherwise. That being said, because we are lumped in the AMA, we also can not legally fly over ourselves, or catch with our hands, which is ridiculous.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
That is exactly what I stated in the video. Beyond 3 miles, the 400agl does not apply FOR HOBBYISTS FLYING UNDER PART 101. There is no verbiage anywhere that states otherwise. That being said, because we are lumped in the AMA, we also can not legally fly over ourselves, or catch with our hands, which is ridiculous.
As stated, I stand to be corrected BUT you still have to stay out of class E airspace, which in most places start at 1,200' and covers most of the US so you still are technically restricted on how you could fly "in most places"

As stated, I stand to be corrected BUT you still have to stay out of class E airspace, which in most places start at 1,200' and covers most of the US so you still are technically restricted on how you could fly "in most places"

I agree that the rules should require staying out of controlled airspace but, for Part 101, there is no such rule. Airspace constraints only apply to Part 107, courtesy of Section 336.

I agree that the rules should require staying out of controlled airspace but, for Part 101, there is no such rule. Airspace constraints only apply to Part 107, courtesy of Section 336.
Hmmm, that's not what I'm getting from the Feds (at least the ones I deal with in my part of the world), ALL controlled airspace (A,B,C,D and E) is off limits (except with permission), to include Part 101 operations. The rationale was "required equipment" for aircraft (to include Unmanned aircraft under FAR 1), especially those operating within the 30 mile ring of a class B airport.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme