Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is JUST NOW released so details to follow ASAP!

Remote Identification. A good start from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) – Drone Service Providers Alliance

Nights Ops and Recurrent Training from DSPA​

*Fixed error in duplicate links... sorry*

Last edited:
Good write up. Not sure how older DJI drones can be retrofitted with new tech ie Phantom 4, Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro.

Only leaves the Mavic Air 2. Which I believe has the features needed built in.

Author mentions 18-30 months away. So fly while you can.

Paul C

Keep in mind there are THREE sections to this release. It's not JUST about Remote ID! There are different time frames for each section. Some of them are going to take place in "roughly" 45-60 days. It's important to read ALL three links.

I received one of them by email. It mentioned RID an that could exempt having to get a waiver for flying over people. Doesn't mention the technology required to be used for RID.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Keep in mind there are THREE sections to this release. It's not JUST about Remote ID! There are different time frames for each section. Some of them are going to take place in "roughly" 45-60 days. It's important to read ALL three links.
Good point. I read all three links. 2 appear to be the same article. The issue of night operation didn’t interest me as I never plan to fly at night. Will be curious to see how much longer existing drones without RID
Tech will be allowed to fly.

Paul C

Good point. I read all three links. 2 appear to be the same article. The issue of night operation didn’t interest me as I never plan to fly at night. Will be curious to see how much longer existing drones without RID
Tech will be allowed to fly.

Paul C
Paul,
Looks like 2.5 years after the effective date of the rule requiring manufacturer. 18 months for the manufactures and 12 months more for users. Pretty sure I will be looking for a new drone by then.

I'm hoping that RID can be retrofitted to the Mavic 2 series. Ocusync 2.0 is based on Wi-Fi hardware, but with custom protocols. In theory, you could have the drone broadcast the RID messages over Wi-Fi. It only has to send a message once a second. Since the M2 uses a SDR, it could send a message formatted as a Wi-Fi broadcast while still maintaining an Ocusync connection. Since the Wi-Fi broadcast would be a different format than an Ocusync packet, the RFC should just ignore it.

The other FAA shoe has finally dropped and it’s not that bad.
The FAA appears to have taken the position that drones are a technology and use that needs regulation but have not reacted with dogmatic regulations. The current Federal legislation seems more about creating reasonable safety regulations.
(Quoted from John Lietske)

Blue skies and Happy Trails

Last edited:
I read the full text of the FAA document, https://www.faa.gov/news/media/attachments/RemoteID_Final_Rule.pdf
It still seems unclear as to drones produced before the above final rule... guess I’ll contact a couple of FAA folks and try to find out.

Guess I’m good for about 2 years all things as they are.

I think it is is pretty clear. If your drone can't comply with the Remote ID rule, you can only fly in designated/approved areas. That said they went out of their way to allow you to affix an add-on module to an existing drone to meet the rules.
I'm sure someone will sell a battery operated GPS/Broadcast module that you can affix to the drone.

I'm hoping that RID can be retrofitted to the Mavic 2 series. Ocusync 2.0 is based on Wi-Fi hardware, but with custom protocols. In theory, you could have the drone broadcast the RID messages over Wi-Fi. It only has to send a message once a second. Since the M2 uses a SDR, it could send a message formatted as a Wi-Fi broadcast while still maintaining an Ocusync connection. Since the Wi-Fi broadcast would be a different format than an Ocusync packet, the RFC should just ignore it.

Me too, and there is probably an easy solution....The newer birds all seem to have dual Radios (2.4 and 5), so if the processor can handle it, one used to communicate with the controller, the other to broadcast. The question is how much does DJI want to invest in creating firmware, testing, and certifying old drones. Since we are 30+ months out from needing it and we'll likely be at Mavic 4 by then, as a total guess, the Mavic 2 series won't get any updates.

Thanks @BigAl07 . I'm processing what the FAA posted along with your links.

Reactions: MavicPeter
@BigAl07 Looks like you have the first link pasted twice and intended an OPS over people link for the second one.

Reactions: Thomas B
@BigAl07 Looks like you have the first link pasted twice and intended an OPS over people link for the second one.

I think you're right. I fixed the original post... uggggggg lol

That said they went out of their way to allow you to affix an add-on module to an existing drone to meet the rules.
I'm sure someone will sell a battery operated GPS/Broadcast module that you can affix to the drone.
Unfortunately, I think the add on module may have to be made by DJI, as one of the rules state that the module would have to prevent take off if not broadcasting and give the location of the controller. I don't see DJI working with any after third market players as it's not to their advantage in selling new drones. Who knows. I also have not read the entire pdf (actual language) so maybe there is something excluding the retrofitted add on modules for this.

Unfortunately, I think the add on module may have to be made by DJI, as one of the rules state that the module would have to prevent take off if not broadcasting and give the location of the controller. I don't see DJI working with any after third market players as it's not to their advantage in selling new drones. Who knows. I also have not read the entire pdf (actual language) so maybe there is something excluding the retrofitted add on modules for this.

The wording they use is confusing, but they basically created two close, but separate instances:

1 - "Built in" ( what the FAA is calling "Standard") Remote ID
and
2 - Remote Module Remote ID.

The main changes for the Remote Module are:
A) - Broadcast Take off point instead of control station
B) - Let user know if it is not working before taking off (instead of actually preventing takeoff)
C)- Requires the user to maintain VLOS at all times (which is required now anyway, but part of the push for Remote ID is to eventually allow some more BVLOS flights).

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+