DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA restrictions (400 ft altittude, local park policies, etc..) any reason to still get a Mavic?

j_bravo14

Reactions
I was really excited to get my first Drone -- a mavic pro. But then started reading through all the regulations and all the restrictions implemented.

With all the restrictions, it got me thinking do I really need a Mavic or will the Spark suffice given all the restrictions.

Aside from longer flight time, and additional features, is there anything that Mavic's or Phantoms can do that the spark can do within the FAA restrictions?

Still a newbie here, thank you all in advance for your help.

You got a good point. I guess it all depends on what you want to use the drone for and what you want to spend. For example my 1st "REAL" drone was a Phantom 3 Standard that did everything I wanted it to do but after range issues and my needs increased (portability, reliable connection, range) I upgraded to the Mavic.

From the reviews I've seen, the Spark looks like a good choice if range isn't an issue, plus it's less expensive.

First off: There are no regulations/restrictions, only recommendations. They become regulations if you go get 107 certified...but for hobby flight, they don't have any teeth.

Second: Yes. The Mavic is still worth it.

Reactions: Cbslagle
First off: There are no regulations/restrictions, only recommendations. They become regulations if you go get 107 certified...but for hobby flight, they don't have any teeth.
Local and national park restrictions do still apply to hobbyists.

Second: Yes. The Mavic is still worth it.
I believe part 107 still applies to all UAV's operating in US airspace...

107.51 Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.
A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).

(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:

(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and

(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.

(c) The minimum flight visibility, as observed from the location of the control station must be no less than 3 statute miles. For purposes of this section, flight visibility means the average slant distance from the control station at which prominent unlighted objects may be seen and identified by day and prominent lighted objects may be seen and identified by night.

(d) The minimum distance of the small unmanned aircraft from clouds must be no less than:

(1) 500 feet below the cloud; and

(2) 2,000 feet horizontally from the cloud.

I believe part 107 still applies to all UAV's operating in US airspace...

It does not. Only section 336 applies to hobby use. This does not mean some of the restrictions might not be the same.

National Park = yes
Local = ??? (depends on where you are).
You might get away with flying a drone over a local park, but if you take off and land from within the park, you are subject to park rules.

With all the restrictions, it got me thinking do I really need a Mavic or will the Spark suffice given all the restrictions.
IO don't see why FAA regulations should make a difference when considering a Spark or Mavic.

Aside from longer flight time, and additional features, is there anything that Mavic's or Phantoms can do that the spark can do within the FAA restrictions?
Yes. You simply need to look at the specs and anything the Mavic has that the Spark does not would be on that list. The Mavic can film in 4k, it has a (semi useless) display on the controller, etc.

You might get away with flying a drone over a local park, but if you take off and land from within the park, you are subject to park rules.
Same with the National Parks though you can fly over you just can't take off / land / operate within the park.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e