Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA RPIC/Part 107 . . . they don't "Expire"

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
This topic is possibly the one I get the most comments and Private Messages about so I thought I'd do a Write-Up so others can read and hopefully get a better (more accurate) understanding of this topic that causes so much confusion.

Your RPIC/Part 107 (and Pilots License for that matter) don't expire. You merely go out of "Currency". This applies to Part 107 as well as other "FAA Credentials" but for the most part I'm focused on Part 107 and PPL.

"Currency" merely means you have met the criteria set forth by the agency to be able to exercise the privileges of the credential. Many things can lead to loss of currency such as:
  • Medical Condition
  • Required Test/Training

Your RPIC/Part 107 is good (if all over things remain constant) until the END of the MONTH 24 months after you become Current. It's the END of the MONTH that so many people don't understand so let's dig into that one.

In regards to RPIC/Part 107 (not Part 61) you become Current by taking/passing the initial test at a testing facility. The day you pass the test is when you become "Current". Let's assume you take and pass your initial test TODAY, March 1st, 2021. So you are good to exercise Part 107 privileges until the END of the Month 24 months after March 1st, 2021. This means you are good to fly (assuming all other things remain constant) until Mart 31st, 2023. On April 1sr, 2023 you fall our of Currency and are not allowed to utilize your Part 107 until you again "become Current".

If you took and passed your initial test or did whatever was required to become Current on Feb 14th, 2019, you were good to fly up until Feb 28th, 2021 (yesterday). As of MIDNIGHT last night your Currency lapsed and you'll have to do whatever is currently required to Become Current before you can fly under Part 107 again. Your Part 107 didn't expire, you're just no longer CURRENT.

* It's important to note that even though your RPIC doesn't expire, it can be REVOKED by the FAA.

Hopefully this will help shed some light on this "Grey Area" which seems to confuse so many.

and in the example above, with currency lapsing on feb 28th, 2021. One is able to become current again, today, april 7th, ~38 days after currency lapesed via Online learning and test via faasafety.gov. ? Correctomundo ?

and in the example above, with currency lapsing on feb 28th, 2021. One is able to become current again, today, april 7th, ~38 days after currency lapesed via Online learning and test via faasafety.gov. ? Correctomundo ?
Yes! There is no limit/allowance as to how long you are out of Currency. If you meet the requirements (Take & pass the training) you become Current again and resets your 24month clock.

Hey from oneBig Al to Another...With the Constant Changing of the Part 107 Regs as the Industry continues to Evolve, Wouldn’t it be a good idea to take the Refresher Course and Renew @ least once a year if not 6 months?…I guess I just miss 121 CheckRides @ Flight Safety every 6Months

Reactions: LoudThunder
Hey from oneBig Al to Another...With the Constant Changing of the Part 107 Regs as the Industry continues to Evolve, Wouldn’t it be a good idea to take the Refresher Course and Renew @ least once a year if not 6 months?…I guess I just miss 121 CheckRides @ Flight Safety every 6Months
There's nothing wrong with taking a "refresher course" but except for the last couple of months the actual test itself hasn't changed much at all since 2018. This 24 month clock is put in place for exactly that reason so that you are "exposed" to training/testing at least every other year.

I really utilize resources like this forum and Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov to help me stay abreast of changes etc.

In case this isn't well-known here (I'm a new member here), if you're no longer current, getting your "Part 107 Small Uas Recurrent" certificate is dead simple, and takes less than 2 hours. Online. For free. All training for the exam is included, along with some memory-joggers throughout the training, then an exam at the end that you basically can't fail.

Where? Your friendly neighborhood faasafety.gov website. If it isn't obvious when you get there, search for "Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent".

I literally just finished this "course", printed out my certificate, and am now good for another 2 years. Stoked!

In case this isn't well-known here (I'm a new member here), if you're no longer current, getting your "Part 107 Small Uas Recurrent" certificate is dead simple, and takes less than 2 hours. Online. For free. All training for the exam is included, along with some memory-joggers throughout the training, then an exam at the end that you basically can't fail.

Where? Your friendly neighborhood faasafety.gov website. If it isn't obvious when you get there, search for "Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent".

I literally just finished this "course", printed out my certificate, and am now good for another 2 years. Stoked!
Is the part 61 necessary for the part 107?

Is the part 61 necessary for the part 107?
Part 61 is for Manned Aircraft Pilots and in no way has anything to do with Part107/Drones. The only connection is "Current" Part 61 Pilots have already been able to take an online test to add Part 107 to their wallet. It's a much shorter and easier test because Manned Pilots have already tested and proven (in person) a broad understanding of Aviation terms, practices, and hurdles.

This topic is possibly the one I get the most comments and Private Messages about so I thought I'd do a Write-Up so others can read and hopefully get a better (more accurate) understanding of this topic that causes so much confusion.

Your RPIC/Part 107 (and Pilots License for that matter) don't expire. You merely go out of "Currency". This applies to Part 107 as well as other "FAA Credentials" but for the most part I'm focused on Part 107 and PPL.

"Currency" merely means you have met the criteria set forth by the agency to be able to exercise the privileges of the credential. Many things can lead to loss of currency such as:
  • Medical Condition
  • Required Test/Training

Your RPIC/Part 107 is good (if all over things remain constant) until the END of the MONTH 24 months after you become Current. It's the END of the MONTH that so many people don't understand so let's dig into that one.

In regards to RPIC/Part 107 (not Part 61) you become Current by taking/passing the initial test at a testing facility. The day you pass the test is when you become "Current". Let's assume you take and pass your initial test TODAY, March 1st, 2021. So you are good to exercise Part 107 privileges until the END of the Month 24 months after March 1st, 2021. This means you are good to fly (assuming all other things remain constant) until Mart 31st, 2023. On April 1sr, 2023 you fall our of Currency and are not allowed to utilize your Part 107 until you again "become Current".

If you took and passed your initial test or did whatever was required to become Current on Feb 14th, 2019, you were good to fly up until Feb 28th, 2021 (yesterday). As of MIDNIGHT last night your Currency lapsed and you'll have to do whatever is currently required to Become Current before you can fly under Part 107 again. Your Part 107 didn't expire, you're just no longer CURRENT.

* It's important to note that even though your RPIC doesn't expire, it can be REVOKED by the FAA.

Hopefully this will help shed some light on this "Grey Area" which seems to confuse so many.

• Medical Condition
  • Required Test/Training

How do I check if I am current or not. I tried to check the FAA site but couldnt find it

How do I check if I am current or not. I tried to check the FAA site but couldnt find it

Check the issue date on your Pt. 107 certificate. If greater than 24 months then you are not current. You can also check the FAA IACRA website.

You look at your last test pass date and count 24 months after that.

Check the issue date on your Pt. 107 certificate. If greater than 24 months then you are not current. You can also check the FAA IACRA website.
I checked the site and it was blank and I am sure I took the test about flying at night and over people that was supposed to extend it for another 2 years

I checked the site and it was blank and I am sure I took the test about flying at night and over people that was supposed to extend it for another 2 years
It will be blank. But you will have a certificate from the online Part 107 recurrent course (ALC-677) that shows a completion date. It is current for 2 years from the end of the month of completion.

Let's assume you take and pass your initial test TODAY, March 1st, 2021
Two things I would like to add…

One thing some folks get confused about is the Test Date verses the Issuance Date. Going back to the original proposed test date of March 1, 2021, and for some reason the license is not issued until April 1st, the two years (or more accurately 24-calendar months) started on the test date, not the date the license was issued… So, whether you had your initial test on the 1st or the 31st of March 2021, your currency is valid only until March 31, 2023.

It seems that once one has gone through the recertification process, the 24-calendar month recertification, it all makes sense.

The second thing is if you lose your currency for any reason, you may not fly under the Part 107 rules (you know, for money…), but you can still fly your drone for fun, as a recreational flyer…. (and no, you cannot fly your drone to inspect your neighbor's roof as a favor…).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys