Join Us Now

FAA: Strategy to prevent drone disruption soon to be released

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
FAA: Strategy to prevent drone disruption soon to be released
The National Security Council (NSC) will soon release a strategy for preventing drone disruptions at major US metropolitan airports, according to the FAA.

The concept of operations (conops) for deploying counter-drone technology will be applied at the FAA’s Core 30 airports—those which serve major metropolitan areas with the highest volume of air traffic. It will be a tactical response plan “with a unified concept that involves all of the relevant stakeholders in the airport environment,” FAA Deputy Associate Administrator Angela Stubblefield told the agency’s Drone Advisory Committee on Oct. 17.

(Read the FULL story at the link below)

Thanks Big Al . . . I thought the Gatwick Airport Drone Incident was much to do about nothing. For the NSC to implement this based on that incident seems reckless. Last I heard the dudes arrested at the Gatwick incident were released with no charges. Police think it was an inside job. Yes, airports need to be protected but don't use an incident that (in many eyes) never really happened.

EDIT: I went back and read it again . . . they are saying they want to 'prevent' that type of scenario' . . .

Thanks Big Al . . . I thought the Gatwick Airport Drone Incident was much to do about nothing. For the NSC to implement this based on that incident seems reckless. Last I heard the dudes arrested at the Gatwick incident were released with no charges. Police think it was an inside job. Yes, airports need to be protected but don't use an incident that (in many eyes) never really happened.

EDIT: I went back and read it again . . . they are saying they want to 'prevent' that type of scenario' . . .
when the government says prevent usually means they will

Plenty of commercial anti-UAS devices out there that are effective at dropping them out of the sky. Having them at airports, stadiums, and areas where large groups of people routinely frequent makes a ton of sense. Less opportunity for idiots to give the hobby a bad name.

Reactions: JS1600
Plenty of commercial anti-UAS devices out there that are effective at dropping them out of the sky. Having them at airports, stadiums, and areas where large groups of people routinely frequent makes a ton of sense. Less opportunity for idiots to give the hobby a bad name.

I agree.

Interesting at the CES show, right across from DJI - this biggest drone booth there - is the FAA and a handful of counter drone tech companies... yes there is plenty of tech out there to reduce/eliminate consumer drones in airport airspace. Let's see how this gets implemented.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143