DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA's awful drone app B4UFLY to undergo private sector revamp

Kudo's to ZDNet for being 100% accurate and honest about the app. It _IS_ 100% crap. Simply another example of how the FAA has dropped every ball when it comes to drone regulations and information. It takes two hands to count all of the FAA screw ups in this regard.

I use B4UFly for quick checks, but
always use sectionals and check NODAMS because it doesn’t cover MOA operational times and such that well.
Something that he average hobby drone flier should not need to do in order to assure compliance.

Now I'm just waiting for the FAA to increase the cost of the registration in order to pay for this.

Everyone should do it. Its not for compliance, it’s for safety.
Everyone should read the vehicle statues for every state that they drive through, for safety reasons.

The actual problem is the FAA. The FAA puts out their official app so people SHOULD be able to rely on it. They are being mislead... by the FAA.

Reactions: Arcadias
Everyone should read the vehicle statues for every state that they drive through, for safety reasons.

The actual problem is the FAA. The FAA puts out their official app so people SHOULD be able to rely on it. They are being mislead... by the FAA.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you that B4UFly is incomplete. That’s why I always check all of the available information, especially before flying in new places I am not familiar with, like where there are so many MOA’s in the desert. It is for safety, compliance is not enough. Besides, who is ultimately responsible?

Last edited:
Kudo's to ZDNet for being 100% accurate and honest about the app. It _IS_ 100% crap. Simply another example of how the FAA has dropped every ball when it comes to drone regulations and information. It takes two hands to count all of the FAA screw ups in this regard.
and no shoes

Good grief I am the average dude with a little money to get into drone hobby bought a MPP last July. Have been on this forum daily and really thought the B4UFLY app was my go to prelaunch app. Since I live within 5 mile radius of small airport and grew up In Nashville, TN I have yet to check in with B4UFly and it steer me wrong in identifing airports or helipads when I have cellular service. I have half dozen other apps that majority of time agree with B4UFly in identifying airports or helipads. What am I missing please educate me. Remember I am not a retired pilot, have not been a RC hobbiest just own a drone almost 9 months and loving the hobby. I would have never joined the drone hobby if I knew what I know now. My little world that interest me seldom can I leagaly fly in.

Good grief I am the average dude with a little money to get into drone hobby bought a MPP last July. Have been on this forum daily and really thought the B4UFLY app was my go to prelaunch app. Since I live within 5 mile radius of small airport and grew up In Nashville, TN I have yet to check in with B4UFly and it steer me wrong in identifing airports or helipads when I have cellular service. I have half dozen other apps that majority of time agree with B4UFly in identifying airports or helipads. What am I missing please educate me. Remember I am not a retired pilot, have not been a RC hobbiest just own a drone almost 9 months and loving the hobby. I would have never joined the drone hobby if I knew what I know now. My little world that interest me seldom can I leagaly fly in.

Hi Rich, what airport are you near? Use this online sectional to see if there are any other potential restrictions in your area. If there’s a MOA or other, you will have to find their operations times and elevations of use. Just scroll the map to your area or pit the name or abbreviation of the airport in the search function.

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

And also check the NODAMS listed on B4UFly.

Reactions: Rich55
Hi Rich, what airport are you near? Use this online sectional to see if there are any other potential restrictions in your area. If there’s a MOA or other, you will have to find their operations times and elevations of use. Just scroll the map to your area or pit the name or abbreviation of the airport in the search function.

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

And also check the NODAMS listed on B4UFly.

I am closet to Sumner County Regional Airport FAA#M33 XNX that airport does not have control tower they refer me to Nashville main airport BNA they don’t care and advise me to talk to SCRA. Bottom line neither airport cares till someone reports drone or something happens. I am ok with that I have my email advising my local airport. I used a form letter provided on this forum as a go by to inform airport manager of my future flying. I try to be as safe as possible and bring no more bad publicity to the drone community.

Thanks for the app and reply. I have got to get my butt in gear and start studying for the 107 Certification. I have a job offer waiting on me to get certified. Just like photogr

I’d add that whoever maintains the FAA website should take down all the incorrect pages and outdated info so that people can’t see older policies and become confused.

I am closet to Sumner County Regional Airport FAA#M33 XNX that airport does not have control tower they refer me to Nashville main airport BNA they don’t care and advise me to talk to SCRA. Bottom line neither airport cares till someone reports drone or something happens. I am ok with that I have my email advising my local airport. I used a form letter provided on this forum as a go by to inform airport manager of my future flying. I try to be as safe as possible and bring no more bad publicity to the drone community.

Thanks for the app and reply. I have got to get my butt in gear and start studying for the 107 Certification. I have a job offer waiting on me to get certified. Just like photogr

Hey Rich55, I'm just under 30 miles south of you near Smyrna Airport I haven't contacted them yet to fly out here but I have a feeling I'll get about the same reception as you. I've been told that Smyrna airport has a tower but it isn't manned so I guess I'll be referred to BNA also. I haven't had the opportunity to fly around here much, have you found any good spots?

Reactions: Rich55
Goodness gracious. Do you mean that the British government has actually done something competently, albeit by privatising the agency? The NATS (National Air Traffic Service) Ltd "Drone Assist" app is actually quite useable.

Hey Rich55, I'm just under 30 miles south of you near Smyrna Airport I haven't contacted them yet to fly out here but I have a feeling I'll get about the same reception as you. I've been told that Smyrna airport has a tower but it isn't manned so I guess I'll be referred to BNA also. I haven't had the opportunity to fly around here much, have you found any good spots?
Sorry for such a late response just now read it because of post #14. To answer your question about good spots no. Main reason I am studying as often as I can for 107 test. Hopefully I will test this week or early next week. I have learned contacting airport is not the correct protocol. You have to go online and file your flight plan. If you are in air space G your good to go with no need to notify FAA. Skyvector now is good resource for me after learning how to interpret air map. If you have the time and money invest in learning how to conduct yourself in air space much like you learned how to obtain your drivers license. I think you will then really begin to appreciate the ownership of a drone. Have a great day.

Reactions: Hauptmann
<sarcasm> I just LOVE the B4UFLY app.
For the past 4 years, it has told me I am within 5 miles of an airport.
So I tap "more status information" to be told 'Warning, Action Required'.
The only highlighted action is "Airports within 5 miles".
So I tap that and I get the next page titled "Nearby Airports" - the page is blank.
</sarcasm>

Have a look at the app:
"Can I fly there"
By Drone Complier.

It's the Australian Govt. official RPA guidance app for where you can fly RPA's within Australia.
It's simple, it works, it's accurate.
I know it doesn't cover the rest of the world but does show how a good app covering this topic can work.
If your interested in it, install it, open it and turn on Location, then scroll the map over to Sydney or anywhere in the country, drop a pin and voila!
There's hope yet.....
:)

It is for both Android & iOS, but I'm not sure of the exact iOS steps.
Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU