DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

False Collision detection?

simsurf

Reactions
Flying at my local beach today and started getting a couple of warnings that didn't make any sense to me. I think are collision detection warnings? There was nothing in the sky, and I've had crows fly in front of the drone a few days ago that I could see on the screen and they were not detected...

Last edited:
Usually it's when you are pointing towards the sun - like the camera the front sensors seem affected by refraction.
Unless you are likely to be near things to hit it's best turned off - but you can leave the radar on, and it will beep when near to things.
OA reduces your top speed by quite a lot and it is less able to fight strong wind too

Sometimes heading towards the sun can initiate the OA causing the issue you see.
Its quite common and not a whole lot you can do to remedy it.

Hmmm i am thinking I can just turn of the collision detection sensors? I flew a phantom 2 for two years with no crashes and no sensors!

Usually it's when you are pointing towards the sun - like the camera the front sensors seem affected by refraction.
Unless you are likely to be near things to hit it's best turned off - but you can leave the radar on, and it will beep when near to things.
OA reduces your top speed by quite a lot and it is less able to fight strong wind too

OA? sorry i am not familiar with that term

Just watch out for those crows :D
not to worried about the crows!:eek: The closest call I had was a Whistling Kite circle my drone for a few minutes at about 80m altitude , and then when i decided to land it followed the drone all the way to the ground! Obviously it was trying to decide whether to attack or not!:confused:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradl