DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fastest way to download Video from SD Card

Rogerc

Reactions
Doing a lot of trial and error with my Mavic Pro 2 and video and photos.
Getting tired of only being able to get 18 mb/s with my downloads.
I am using a SanDisk Extreme SD card that is suppose to be fast and using an SD card reader plugged into my 3.0 USB slot on a fairly fast computer onto a reguar disk drive no SSD.
How can I speed up the transfer. I tried formating the disk to NTSF but the Mavic Pro 2 would not write to the SD card then.
What speed is everyone else getting and how are you accomplishing higher speeds?

Some USB card readers don't support USB3.0 speeds. Make sure you have a 3.0 compliant reader, otherwise you will experience USB2.0 speed.

Reactions: Flycaster
Is there a chance you’re using a USB 2.0 SD card reader?

Your post had me wondering the same thing, however I did see up to 30 MB/s when my SanDisk microSD are sitting in their own SD adapter. I’d get around 8-18 MB/s when I placed the microSD card into the PNY SD adapter.

And then I realized I was using a USB 2.0 card reader in my computer’s USB 3.0 port. Whoops.

BA9E9E5C-9257-4C28-B542-0270FCA0E5D2.jpegC556BA53-945D-4C8C-ADE1-B9A78736034C.jpeg

What card reader are you using and what PC? At a guess it sounds like either a slower USB2 card reader or a USB2 port, the fastest combo is a decent USB3 card reader and USB3 port.
We should extend these so called "fastest" options to incorporated SD slots (laptop and desktop) and others, the slots on my thunderbolt 3 connected NAS will run at whatever the card can support.

I think your assumption will likely prove correct, the card reader is likely the bottleneck.

We should extend these so called "fastest" options to incorporated SD slots (laptop and desktop) and others, the slots on my thunderbolt 3 connected NAS will run at whatever the card can support.

I think your assumption will likely prove correct, the card reader is likely the bottleneck.

I was speaking in the context of the OP's PC not in general.

I’ll go online and purchase a USB 3.0 card reader and check it out. My current card reader is about a 2 year old model. Probably will solve the problem. Any suggestions os a good SD Card Reader 3.0?

Reactions: pelagic_one
I'm curious as to whats fast. I just plug the drone into the computer and drag the dcmi file to my computer takes just a few min's to download my sd card all the photos and video I took on a shoot. So what are you guys saying is fast? You pull the sd card from the drone then put it into a card reader download the files and then put the card back in the drone. That process seems time consuming to me.

Use the time the files need to be transfered from the card to the computer to get a coffee, say hello to your partner, give your kids a kiss or just wait. There were times we had to move videos from the recorder to the computer in "real time", so why hurry now?

I’ll go online and purchase a USB 3.0 card reader and check it out. My current card reader is about a 2 year old model. Probably will solve the problem. Any suggestions os a good SD Card Reader 3.0?
Before you rush out and buy a USB 3 card reader make sure your PC has a USB 3 port to plug it into. USB 3 port should be blue.
A USB 3 reader in a USB 2 port will only transfer at USB 2 speed.

Not all card readers are created equal, cheap ones are generally slow (probably USB 2 as mentioned) and good card readers (more expensive to expensive) are much faster.

Nowhere near as slow as using a cable is.
True. And by using the drone as a card reader you are running at the higher end of the operating temperature for the electronics (no airflow) and clocking up unnecessary charge cycles on the flight batteries.

Well it’s pricey but the sd extreme pro plus 128 reads beyond 90mb/s and comes with a 3.0 usb reader

Reactions: RFaust
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803