DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Favorite Austin Tx drone flying areas

marklyn

Reactions
Would appreciate knowing of your favorite local Austin Texas drone flying areas.
Would prefer open, sparsely populated area, easy or no permission needed and something within 30 minutes outside of Austin (prefer inside city limits).
I've found a few places (ball park @ Walnut creek), Cook Elementary school track field (too small though), but would like to hear about more places where it's ok to fly and learn without obstructions and decent view of the craft.

First flight at track and field Akins High School. I am also looking for good places to fly here in Austin.
McKinney Falls?

It is a little ways, not sure if it is too close. I am trying to find something towards the South that has some scenery.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Haven't tried it yet, but there's that church overlooking Lake Travis off 620 I think? Could probably launch from their parking lot and get some great views of the lake. Also thought about flying near the Stevie Ray Vaughan statue, and shooting downtown from across the lake, or the bats at sunset. I live in Houston, and haven't had a chance to make it to Austin with the Mavic yet, but plan to soon.

First flight at track and field Akins High School. I am also looking for good places to fly here in Austin.
McKinney Falls?
No - state park and they won't allow it.Zilker Park, Greenbelt off 290 has some nice spots. Head out Beecave or 2222. Head out 290 to LBJ Ranch and stuff - nice scenery out there.
In Austin most folks fly out of Butler Park.

It is a little ways, not sure if it is too close. I am trying to find something towards the South that has some scenery.
Go out Old San Antonio Hwy - tehre's a couple of parks. San Marcos there the Aquarena and the whole river. Back hiways out towards Devils Backbone.
Lordy - I take it y'all don't go exploring much?

The 360 bridge and Mount Bonnell have treated me well. Beware at Mt. Bonnell of both the nearby dam and military base, but it's a straight shot from Mt. Bonnell to downtown without any restrictions.

Looking at NFZ maps... I will be in the Austin Area in a few weeks, primarily on Lake Austin. From the maps it looks to be a good place to fly my Mavic Pro, did not see any restricted areas... is it good to fly there? I have friends that live on this lake and know there are some multi-million dollar homes all around the lake, don't want to assume but feel like I should be fine to fly over the lake and video/photo some wake surfing and views of the homes surrounding the lake. Don't want to get there and find out I cannot take-off there. Here is an approximate location... Google Maps I noticed there is a park nearby... can you fly here too : Google Maps ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11