DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC GRANT OF EQUIPMENT AUTHORIZATION for Smart Controller?

VAJeff

Reactions
I know there is a thread dedicated for the Smart Controller, but I did not want this to get buried if it is legit for the Smart Controller.

I was Googling a few things that lead me down the path of a link on DroneDJ, that lead me to go look on fccid.io.

It looks like on Friday that the Smart Controller got a GRANT OF EQUIPMENT AUTHORIZATION . I am not sure I am reading it right, but I did look at the same thing for the Mavic 2 Pro that we know we can buy in the states, they look the same.

It looks like the FCC reactivated the Equipment Authorization System on Friday the 18th.

FCC Reactivating Equipment Authorization System

Here is the Smart Controller
FCC ID SS3-RM5001808 DJI Smart Controller by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD
Controller.png

Here is the one for the Mavic 2 Pro:
FCC ID SS3-L1P1805 Mavic 2 Pro by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD
Mavic 2.png

Hopefully now those of us in the US that want one will be able to buy one soon!

According to Patrick Santucci (Senior Communications Manager at DJI), it's not currently available in the US due to the government shutdown. See more details here.

Same shut down will also keep other new products from market, and the backlog of requests will also slow things down. Future Phantom for one.

Paul C

The FCC re-activated the Grants of Equipment Authorization system on the 18th (only this, most of the rest of the FCC is shut down). This Grant or Authorization was issued on the 18th. I did link to this in my post.

The iPhonedo YouTube clip was filmed at CES, a week or two before the 18th, iPhonedo only posted the video yesterday, he filmed it at CES.

AS Paul C said, the shutdown is keeping products from market, that is why the FCC re-activated the Grants of Equipment Authorization system. In their memo, that is cited as the reason to re-open.

From the memo, "After reviewing our statutory authority, the status of contract obligations and our lapse in funding plan, we will be reactivating this system today. All other provisions of the Commission’s January 2, 2019 Public Notice continue to apply."

Link to the official FCC Memo:
FCC REACTIVATING EQUIPMENT AUTHORIZATION SYSTEM

Copy and Paste of the memo:
PUBLIC NOTICE

Federal Communications Commission 445 12th St., S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20554

DA 19-19 Released: January 18, 2019
FCC REACTIVATING EQUIPMENT AUTHORIZATION SYSTEM
The Federal Communications Commission’s January 2, 2019 Public Notice on the impact of a potential lapse in funding noted that the Equipment Authorization System (EAS) would not be available.1 After reviewing our statutory authority, the status of contract obligations and our lapse in funding plan, we will be reactivating this system today. All other provisions of the Commission’s January 2, 2019 Public Notice continue to apply.

Most radio transmitters are required to be certificated to ensure compliance with the Commission’s technical rules. Applications for certification are reviewed and granted by private sector Telecommunications Certification Bodies (TCBs). The TCBs are required to enter the application and grant of equipment certification into the EAS before the grant becomes effective. The reactivation of the EAS will enable the TCBs to grant equipment certifications, thereby allowing that equipment to be imported and marketed in the United States. While the EAS will be available to the public, no support will be provided by Commission staff.

The TCBs are required to consult with FCC staff before granting certification for certain products under a procedure called Pre-Approval Guidance (PAG). This procedure generally involves products where the required tests are complex or break new ground. TCBs will continue to be unable to grant equipment certification for products subject to the pre-approval guidance procedure until the FCC resumes normal operations and staff is available for consultation.

Last edited:
It looks like what I found was legit and the real thing Just made my purchase here in the States for the Smart Controller!

Thankfully someone at the FCC saw the wisdom in re-activating this system. From what I read on the memo, it looks like for pretty straight forward testing and filing, a third party can do the authorization and it is accepted by the FCC. Looks like that had already been done, and the only thing the third party could not do was file it in the system... Until Friday when the system was re-activated....

According to Patrick Santucci (Senior Communications Manager at DJI), it's not currently available in the US due to the government shutdown. See more details here.
I just now received an email from DJI informing me that the smart controller is in stock., but in limited supply.

Just stop with the coffee this early and drink more beer, whiskey or scotch and ORDER A SECOND one!

I will take your advice! Second one purchased! There is method to my madness and more coffee please. :p

You can use it with as many DJI drones as you'd like. You'll have to relink the remote controller to the drone when switching.

Thanks for the qick response.
Yep,just reading the manual now and of course common sense should have told me that only one drone could be linked at any one time. Pity DJI hadn't thought about a "double" linking feature so that you could select different drones,after linking each, and providing a name for each drone so you could select the desired drone to use on the day.

You would think that. I am trying to see if the controller has 5ghz!

Just checked the manual:
Controller has 2-5ghz band. Looks like you can sync pictures and video from the bird to controller. Be aware, cache is disabled as a factory default and must be enabled before you can use the functon. Has it's own compasss too!

Last edited:
Out of stock in US.
Yup. I got an email from DJI this morning saying it was available. I wasn't going to get it, but I kept thinking about it, and reading about it and thinking some more. Then I decided to get it, a few hours later, and it was out of stock. Oh well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark