DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC mode; is it worth it ?

Darkabaz

Reactions
Hi all,

NLD drones have a patch/program for unlocking some options on the MZ and MP2... Now also available for the Mavic 2...
I'm living in a CE region, and find out the range sometimes sucks... Sometimes i only have 1500m before lost signal and adjust antenna errors.... Of course no trees or obstacles in LOS.
Is FCC mode much better in Ocusync 2.0 when comparing to CE mode?
Got this question because someone told me there is almost no upgrade in range/stable connection... ?
So, shortly speaking: is it worth the money to buy the NLD program when FCC is the only thing you would update?

Thank you.

Reactions: Johann Polt
I really don’t know how this works and how much we are effected by environment. 8km is a massive range.
I’m in CE and usually get around 1500m, which is fine and I’m happy with that, but I do want to know what my capabilities are.
I have gone to a pretty “clean airwaves” area that is line of sight with no obstructions and I can get out to 3700m.
I’ve since applied the FCC patch from NLD, and to be honest, I’m not seeing any extra benefit. Perhaps my signal is stronger, but I’m not getting any more range on same flights.
So either I’m not actually getting FCC, although the methods used to check says I am, or CE was doing better than expected before the mod.
At the end of the day, 1500m is till pretty good and doesn’t hamper anything I do

‘‘Tis for me as when I fly at home I need a little extra signal to get through the trees as I live in the middle of a forest

I really don’t know how this works and how much we are effected by environment. 8km is a massive range.
I’m in CE and usually get around 1500m, which is fine and I’m happy with that, but I do want to know what my capabilities are.
I have gone to a pretty “clean airwaves” area that is line of sight with no obstructions and I can get out to 3700m.
I’ve since applied the FCC patch from NLD, and to be honest, I’m not seeing any extra benefit. Perhaps my signal is stronger, but I’m not getting any more range on same flights.
So either I’m not actually getting FCC, although the methods used to check says I am, or CE was doing better than expected before the mod.
At the end of the day, 1500m is till pretty good and doesn’t hamper anything I do
This is on FCC done via Xcode another user on here Brett who is very helpful helped me get this sorted and it works, only issue you have to resign the app every 7 days, if you do not have an app you can also do the hacked spa Go4 app via windows but need iTunes to sync the tweak file to the iPhone, read on here with this link below but do not download super impactor as it is not working and only supported now for commercial use download cydiaimpactor and use that

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
FCC is much much better, not taking anything from NLD but you can manually apply changes to your drone with a little PC or MAC experience and save yourself 40 something bucks, however if you're in doubt and have Android the NLD might be for you. But FCC is well well worth it for operators in CE zones!

Yeah switched both of mine over to FCC, helps a lot on the air, the MP2 though (with SC) I've not yet had range issues with, but not flown it much yet... Bloomin weather

I also live in CEville. 1500 is fine for me. What I want is to punch through more trees and reach further over hills. I am familiar with RF principals and how poor these frequencies work to "bend" over the horizon. Does FCC give it a bit more punch?

Ironically, the last flight I lost video feed completely when I was LOS at 100 meters, 10 meters above trees with the drone clearly visible in the sky. Drove it back and did a full shut down of the AC and SC to get the video back again.

I am doing a range test tomorrow. Switched to FCC on NLD . I am in a CE zone. So hoping to get better than 5.5km on CE

Reactions: Hauptmann
I am doing a range test tomorrow. Switched to FCC on NLD . I am in a CE zone. So hoping to get better than 5.5km on CE
Please report back. I’m interested.
What are you getting in CE?

Nice. What were you getting before in same location.

I would like to know more about this. I am currently using floater app on my mavic air but would like FCC mode on my mavic pro.

FCC mode only makes a difference if you already have good LOS and Signal Bars but are being limited by the CE distance, similar
to distance limit in settings.
Using FCC mode in an environment, where you are not getting close to CE Max Range (eg: 1000-1500m); it will make almost no difference.

The point is if you need HeIghT and Line of SighT!
Otherwise CE or FCC, the signal cannot get away from your controller properly.

It's just the way 2.4ghz signal works with MP/MPP

Mavic 2 i cant speak for, but Occusync or not, it uses
2.4ghz for long distance (5.8ghz is for obtaining Higher Quality with a very close signal),
so im guessing the same goes for it

I did the NLD mod yesterday, for force FCC mode. I am in South Africa. I did this to see if I can increase the range on my original white DJI Goggles, prior the FCC force, I could not get more than 2.5km. Went and did a range test this morning, and got an impressive 7km, with full signal strength available. Only returned due to battery fail safe, landed with 20% left on the battery. Best thing I ever did.

Reactions: MavicFT1P
Do you mind telling what altitude you were at?
And just to help me understand, were you getting 2.5km or 5.6km before you changed to FCC?
And you are now getting an easy 7km after applying the NLD force FCC patch.
Cheers

I was at 80m height the whole way.
Prior to the FCC patch I could get 2.5km with the original white goggles
Prior to the FCC patch, without the goggles, I could get max 5.6km
Now I am getting 7km easy with the goggles
The FCC patch work perfectly, and signal strength was never lower than 4 bars the whole way

Reactions: Hauptmann
Ahhh. Ok I understand now.
I’m not sure why I can’t get anywhere near this range after the fcc mod. I’m either doing something wrong or I’m just out in the right place
I’ve tried it in 3 different areas where I fly and all are still the same range I got without the mod
But if you were getting 5km without the mod, you must be sweet spot

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots