DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Feeling very pleased with myself

Reactions
I bought a second hand Mavic Air a couple of weeks ago but only got to try it out today. A combination of work, winds and cowardice kept me grounded apart from playing with it indoors (I know - don't do this at home kiddies!). So today batteries were charged for aircraft, controller and tablet, the tide was out, the field behind the house clear and the wind stronger than I'd like but within limits (13-15 mph). I'll just have to work till 2100 or so to catch up. I snuck out of the house, avoiding the neighbours and leaving the dog at home - she gets very interested in mechanical things like bicycles, refuse wagons and boat trailers and I thought chasing a drone without prop guards wouldn't be a good idea.

I set up, crossed fingers and lifted off. I could see the Air bucking in the wind but the video looked steady on the tablet. At the back of the field is an expanse of mud, covered at high tide and a marina. I sent the drone over, had a wee look, checked the battery and pressed RTH. Back it came, spotted my H landing pad and descended. Tried the same again, bringing it back manually. Not quite so easy as I have little or no depth perception so it was a matter of forward, sideways, back a bit. I was very impressed by the way the machine hovered when I stopped moving the sticks and waited for me to sort myself out.

Came back, downloaded the video and, apart from being half a stop overexposed it's rock steady and very detailed. I realise there is a great deal to learn and the only way is to do it, not read about it. Look forward to doing just that!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

I bought a second hand Mavic Air a couple of weeks ago but only got to try it out today. A combination of work, winds and cowardice kept me grounded apart from playing with it indoors (I know - don't do this at home kiddies!). So today batteries were charged for aircraft, controller and tablet, the tide was out, the field behind the house clear and the wind stronger than I'd like but within limits (13-15 mph). I'll just have to work till 2100 or so to catch up. I snuck out of the house, avoiding the neighbours and leaving the dog at home - she gets very interested in mechanical things like bicycles, refuse wagons and boat trailers and I thought chasing a drone without prop guards wouldn't be a good idea.

I set up, crossed fingers and lifted off. I could see the Air bucking in the wind but the video looked steady on the tablet. At the back of the field is an expanse of mud, covered at high tide and a marina. I sent the drone over, had a wee look, checked the battery and pressed RTH. Back it came, spotted my H landing pad and descended. Tried the same again, bringing it back manually. Not quite so easy as I have little or no depth perception so it was a matter of forward, sideways, back a bit. I was very impressed by the way the machine hovered when I stopped moving the sticks and waited for me to sort myself out.

Came back, downloaded the video and, apart from being half a stop overexposed it's rock steady and very detailed. I realise there is a great deal to learn and the only way is to do it, not read about it. Look forward to doing just that!
Welcome and you said it . Air Time , Air Time , Air Time .

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Air, I love mine. Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome to the Forum from the Nature Coast of Florida! Take advantage of this Forum and read it everyday. I do, like the daily newspaper. There is much to learn from hear. Questions? If you can't find it, ask!

Reactions: Scotty99

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580