DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Feels like I'm flying blind!

bfgweb

Reactions
Hi all... I'm new to quad flying and really pleased to have come across this forum!

Mavic Pro unboxed couple weeks ago and am really impressed with the Mavic's performance and stability.

However, when my phone is attached to the controller the screen image is so dark (despite setting phone on full brightness) I can't see any of the video footage or even read any of the 'warnings' or other data on the screen. I have no idea until I land and view footage on PC whether captured video is good quality or even recorded my target! Last two outings were complete failure as firstly I forgot to focus so video capture was blurred and ISO settings insufficient on second attempt. I can see the drone but I can't see what the drone is seeing hence I feel like I'm flying blind!

How do you 'experts' get round this issue? Are there any recommended phones, tablets or screens which you find are better than others?

I, as well as many others, used the iPad mini 4 (cellular in my case). It fits perfectly in the controller's legs and I have never had any issues at all! It is responsive and the image it projects is great! It's a bit costly but well worth the money!

Reactions: HVYMTL
So do I follow you correctly that you can see your phone screen just fine until you place it into the controller mount? (As in you might have a screen auto brightness sensor getting covered up causing the phone to "think" it is night time turning down the screen brightness?? Shut off the phone adaptive screen brightness perhaps?)

Reactions: Ping^Spike
If the light sensor is being covered you could get round it perhaps by using longer USB in bottom full size socket then no need to push phone so far into the arms.
The short USB lead supplied is not very good quality anyway.

I had the same problem with my Nexus Huawei phone. Could hardly see the text in bright sunlight. Usually I try to operate it a shadow area under a tree or flying on cloudy days. Of course the phone screen was on full brightness.
However last week I did something which improved the display drastically: I removed the Screen protector !

And I wish DJI would make this little cross -top right- more distinct/clear.screen.jpg

So do I follow you correctly that you can see your phone screen just fine until you place it into the controller mount? (As in you might have a screen auto brightness sensor getting covered up causing the phone to "think" it is night time turning down the screen brightness?? Shut off the phone adaptive screen brightness perhaps?)
Thanks for response...No sorry not made it clear. The fact is the phone screen just cannot cope in sunshine and almost becomes a mirror making it impossible to see anything. If I find somewhere in the shade it helps a little but it is frustrating to not be able to see what the camera is recording during a flight. Will try a sunshade and see if that is worth the money.

If the light sensor is being covered you could get round it perhaps by using longer USB in bottom full size socket then no need to push phone so far into the arms.
The short USB lead supplied is not very good quality anyway.
Not a light sensor issue. I'm going to try a sunshade like Robbyg suggested. Perhaps I should just wear a large sombrero :). Would get some funny looks though here in the UK.

Not a light sensor issue. I'm going to try a sunshade like Robbyg suggested. Perhaps I should just wear a large sombrero :). Would get some funny looks though here in the UK.
Try wearing very dark clothing while using the sunshade also

Thanks for the info. Just ordered similar item from Amazon so will give it a go and maybe look in to the goggles for a future Christmas! :)

Your welcome. I even tried the DJI shades and they pretty much sucked but the Freewell ones worked very well. At least I can see the screen and make out most of the details and check focus. If I need to fly in very low and close I use the goggles. With those I can see even thin power lines.

Rob

I had the same problem with my Nexus Huawei phone. Could hardly see the text in bright sunlight. Usually I try to operate it a shadow area under a tree or flying on cloudy days. Of course the phone screen was on full brightness.
However last week I did something which improved the display drastically: I removed the Screen protector !

And I wish DJI would make this little cross -top right- more distinct/clear.View attachment 20556
I actually took the opposite move. I am mostly using iPhone 6 Plus for flying. While iPhone screen are quite good indoors, they are not so good outdoor in bright condition.

Since tempered glass screen protector for iPhone 6 Plus are quite cheap now, I took a chance on a MATTE antiglare screen protector and installed it on my phone. It only cost me about $5. While it does not magically make the screen look very good in bright sunlight, it does help quite a bit.

Reactions: deltamike
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS