DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming demolition

mavikelli

Reactions
I am super excited,on December 14 Entergy has a power plant in Stamps Arkansas they are going to blow up.I am working on getting permission to film it right now but so far have got the run around,I’ll keep pressing on till I find the right person and hopefully get a video for you guys.Stay Tuned!

A nice POI would be sweet if it's an implosion . :cool:

If you obey local drone ordinances, launch from a public right-of-way, go straight up and hover, I would not think you would need anyone's permission. You would need to be aware of other aircraft (news helicopters) and if any temporary NFZ's have been imposed. If you do fly illegally and post video you leave yourself open to a fine or lawsuit.

Flying or not, get a weather forecast and try to station yourself upwind. You do not want the dust cloud to obscure your view (or your lungs).

Last edited:
If you obey local drone ordinances, launch from a public right-of-way, go straight up and hover, I would not think you would need anyone's permission. You would need to be aware of other aircraft (news helicopters) and if any temporary NFZ's have been imposed. If you do fly illegally and post video you leave yourself open to a fine or lawsuit.

Flying or not, get a weather forecast and try to station yourself upwind. You do not want the dust cloud to obscure your view (or your lungs).

Good tips, I didn’t think of the wind direction. Hopefully they will get back with me, there is a 1000 foot radius that we have to stay behind but would like to get the mavic in at least to 300, the dolly doom would be awesome

Sometimes the old adage of "it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission" comes into play. At the least you can say that you tried to contact them. Hopefully, at 300 feet an errant piece of concrete wont knock it out of the sky. You will need to do your own cost/benefit analysis.

Giving it some more thought, without approval I would stay out of the 1000 foot zone. Citing safety concerns, I could see them stopping the demolition if your Mavic was spotted and following it to you. Then you would be liable for the extra costs associated with the delay.

Last edited:

Exactly...... I GO STRAIGHT UP TO 400 ft, fly over to the filming site and people don’t even notice. Descend slowly while filming and you may not even be heard anyway....

Good tips, I didn’t think of the wind direction. Hopefully they will get back with me, there is a 1000 foot radius that we have to stay behind but would like to get the mavic in at least to 300, the dolly doom would be awesome

Only 1000 ft? That's too close by normal explosives protection standards for the quantity of explosive needed to bring down a large structure.

300 feet up is going to be too high to get any real good detail. Fly outside of that 1000 foot radius you mention and more like 200 feet.

Only 1000 ft? That's too close by normal explosives protection standards for the quantity of explosive needed to bring down a large structure.

this why it is a implosion not a explosion. the building does not explode. (but things have been know to fly out) but internal columns are destroyed. making it fall (hopefully) in a way they want.
but 1000 feet is good. pending height of said building. and yes by every way possible KEEP OUT of the exclusion zone.
no they will never give you the permit to video this event. might already be a company doing such. so you would be stomping on bigger toes. and then just the liability of it all. wavers be (). if they see your drone in time they will stop everything. and there lawyer will be in contact with you while you are sitting in a cell. yes you can bet there are "special" laws for this event.

find a good spot, and use a cam with a long lens. then post up a legal video. i love seeing buildings blown down. not much to see really. but i just find it interesting watching things go boom.
maybe with the long shot you can get a good view of a "oopsi".

Reactions: mavikelli
this why it is a implosion not a explosion. the building does not explode. (but things have been know to fly out) but internal columns are destroyed. making it fall (hopefully) in a way they want.
but 1000 feet is good. pending height of said building. and yes by every way possible KEEP OUT of the exclusion zone.
no they will never give you the permit to video this event. might already be a company doing such. so you would be stomping on bigger toes. and then just the liability of it all. wavers be (). if they see your drone in time they will stop everything. and there lawyer will be in contact with you while you are sitting in a cell. yes you can bet there are "special" laws for this event.

find a good spot, and use a cam with a long lens. then post up a legal video. i love seeing buildings blown down. not much to see really. but i just find it interesting watching things go boom.
maybe with the long shot you can get a good view of a "oopsi".

I wasn't referring to the building - just the overpressure due to the quantity of explosive.

I am super excited,on December 14 Entergy has a power plant in Stamps Arkansas they are going to blow up.I am working on getting permission to film it right now but so far have got the run around,I’ll keep pressing on till I find the right person and hopefully get a video for you guys.Stay Tuned!

We expect to see full FPV scenes as your drone escapes from inside the station as it implodes. Get a group of drone pilot friends to join in, as a squadron will increase the dramatic quality. Perhaps a local chapter of Team Black Sheep could be of assistance. Add some CGI laser shots for effects, and we would not mind a good original soundtrack, however dubbing audio from the following example would be permissible. We are expecting to see quality results on par with this:

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest