DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming indoors in Tripod mode. Automatically exits Tripod mode and goes crazy hitting wall

sambarnett

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I have a Mavic Pro and was filming the inside of a house for real estate in tripod mode. Everything was going fine until the drone exited Tripod mode on it's own, became unstable, and crashed into the wall. This actually happened 3 different times.

Anyone ever had this happen? If so do you have any suggestions?

I've been flying outside for 6 weeks and never had any issues of it going crazy or losing control.

I was using the controller and an iPad mini 4.

I would share log file but I don't know how. Could share video if needed.

Please help!

Thanks,
Sam

There a saying "if at first you dont succeed, try, try again, unless you crash into something. Then one time is good."

I could be wrong, but you might have started out in Tripod mode, lost GPS (likely since you were indoors), then the drone switched to Atti and lost control. If were to fly indoors, I would use prop guards. So many accidents happen indoors because the Mavic simply wasnt meant to do it. Yes, it can be done, but so many accidents occur because of it.

Last edited:
First off WELCOME to the forum Sam.

I think @Thunderdrones most likely hit the nail on the head. The aircraft lost GPS lock (reverts to ATTI mode) which would require you to be able to fly the aircraft manually to keep it from drifting into anything.

Good luck and hopefully it did minimal damage to your aircraft.

Allen

Reactions: Former Member
Agree with the above - Just because the drone is in Tripod mode, there is no reason to think that it no longer needs all of it's stability sensors to keep it steady ... In fact, due to the slow speed it will adopt in all planes, it probably needs them more! (an outdoors Mavic in tripod mode is still very steady even in gusts). Modern housing with reflective insulation surfaces (and polished floors) would make it even more likely that you'll lose GPS sat's (and down-looking cameras) as you fly around indoors ... It's just not a good idea. As suggested above, the Osmo was designed exactly for this ... You can prune your Rose bushes with a chainsaw - but that's not the ideal tool for the job!

if you really must use your mav to take pictures indoors then just remove the props take off the gimbal cover and hold the mav with your hand over the top you can then move about to line up a pic and use the controller button to take it with, or press record and move slowly about for a flying affect the gimbal will keep the picture level. just be smooth in your movements

Hi everyone,

I have a Mavic Pro and was filming the inside of a house for real estate in tripod mode. Everything was going fine until the drone exited Tripod mode on it's own, became unstable, and crashed into the wall. This actually happened 3 different times.

Anyone ever had this happen? If so do you have any suggestions?

I've been flying outside for 6 weeks and never had any issues of it going crazy or losing control.

I was using the controller and an iPad mini 4.

I would share log file but I don't know how. Could share video if needed.

Please help!

Thanks,
Sam
DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Upload a log following these instructions. FYI there's no way I would even consider flying indoors.

Reactions: BigAl07
Reactions: 53-63-6f-74-74
Waiting for that great shot of the light switch and the cinematic view just over the lamp shade....can't wait:(

We've shot some pics and video inside some larger homes with the Mavic. With the right lighting, positioning, and careful control you can make some very nice shots INSIDE with your Mavic.

Just because it doesn't work for you and your needs doesn't mean it doesn't work for others . . . .

I've noticed when flying in my studio 20x20x35 (ceiling) that after a while it will drift away, usually backwards as well as become a tad harder to control. I think it may have, not an expert, something to do with air flow in the space. As the drone is pushing a good amount of air around in a closed space the air becomes more and more turbulent?
BTW I m not using/relying on tripod mode as I prefer being in full control. The loss of GPS signal makes sense too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ