DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming Legal Advice

Pilotjake

Reactions
Hi all new to this forum and I’m sure to be roasted for asking a legal question here.
Just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with filming locations that have people in the shot and if this is technically allowed? One location I’m looking to film is a really nice office style building that looks sweet at sunset. I realized before going out today that possibly everyone in that building may become paranoid that I am trying to film them. Is this technically not allowed? Building looks like below image

Attachments

• 7BB0A118-23BD-4C0A-9651-510E9EAA8F1B.jpeg
    7BB0A118-23BD-4C0A-9651-510E9EAA8F1B.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum and your not going to be roasted for asking a question.
I have moved this to Rules & Regulations and someone will answer you. Thumbswayup

I don't see a problem with this. It is an office building and the camera is far enough away from the building that it's highly doubtful that anybody inside the building is recognizable. Now if it was a residential building and you got close enough to it, you might be accused of being a peeping tom, lol!

welcome to the forum

Reactions: Thomas B
Office 'style' building ?
If it's purely office space, it's unlikely many people would be inside at sunset, coupled with not many are at work just looking out windows . . . it's highly likely no one would even see your drone, and if at distance and moving, would probably not be of concern if they did.

I know Canada has some strict drone regulations . . . drone registration, over 250g pilot certificate, VLOS, 400' max alt, flying over people (with 30m lateral buffer), but I don't recall anything about buildings or built up areas.
If you can fly that and keep to CAA drone regulations, then I would have no problems flying it (ha, if tourists were allowed to fly in Canada atm).

Seeing as you wrote 'style' I wonder if you know it's part or full residential ?
If so, then might be best to look for an office block, most have the reflective solar control glass you seek.

What drone ?
If wifi, you should be aware of wifi connection issues in urban areas, interference from buildings (materials) that could cause compass errors, which could lead to loss of control and a crash into a building, onto a street below, . . . people 30m remember, even at sunset what's below ?

If occusync, then still if you got behind a building partially, risky losing signal LOS (uh oh, VLOS required), and RTH obstacle avoidance feature (no mini) and settings are vital.

If you get the footage smart and safe, would be great to hear how it goes and see it posted up.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98