DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming wolves at night

This drone is quite amazing. There aren't many night videos available online, so here I'm sharing mine:

Very cool! How much of the M2E 16x dynamic zoom were you using?
  • Thermal: 640 x 512 & Up to 16x Zoom
I can imagine that it might be even more impressive with the dynamic 56x zoom from the newest Mavic 3 Thermal at 640 x 512.
Pricey, at $5500.
However, great for surreptitious, night time surveillance!

No zoom at all. It is a digital zoom so it doesn't help much.
Thanks for clarifying and sharing. Those 4 wolves were very entertaining! Please share more of your nocturnal discoveries, as you find them!

They do call it dynamic zoom rather than strictly digital, so its usefulness and lack of pixelation may depend upon the resolution selection of the video, which is likely more relevant for video from the normal camera if shot at 2.7k or 1080p when it is capable of 4K. Does the thermal camera only have the one video resolution of 640 x 512?

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
Does the thermal camera only have the one video resolution of 640 x 512?
Yes.

Here is an older video with 2 wolves (part of the same pack) 2 horses and a bunch of goats. Don't be too thrilled - no animal was harmed during this film:

Yes.

Here is an older video with 2 wolves (part of the same pack) 2 horses and a bunch of goats. Don't be too thrilled - no animal was harmed during this film:

This one was only available to view in 320p.
Was it downsized, or was it shot at 2x?
Horses didn't seem too thrilled with the wolves, kicking up dust around themselves in an aggressive move.
Aren't they potential prey for the wolves?
Cool behavioral interactions!

It was probably downsized while I uploaded it to Vimeo.

No, baby horses might be at risk.
The wolves are coming for the nearby goats.
Ah, OK. Just different than the first one.

Wolves taking down a goat would definitely make for an interesting night video!
More surveillance!

What time of year? Have you seen the wolves during the day? Where is this? A horse could be taken down by wolves if they wanted to. They get moose all the time. Have you lost any goats?

As I thought, your wolves are our coyotes. Although called wolves, they are little more than what we have as coyotes. Much smaller than the northern wolves that we re introduced into the lower 48 states. From the video, it’s was apparent to me. Still very cool video.

Saloam

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803