DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filters and Gimbal Protector-Issues

MavicFlyer

Reactions
6449C3D9-2E15-41A7-A80B-E6D6E91546D4.jpeg I have a set of Sunnylife filters for my Mavic Air. I was able to remove the ring and replace it with a filter.

Unfortunately, I’ve found that you can’t put the gimbal protector on, with a filter in place. The filter is 2 mm taller than protective ring (see below). When you put the cover on the front of the barrel, the back of the cover doesn’t snap down. It seems the the OEM protector is designed to work only without a filter.

Does anybody know of a gimbal protector for the Mavic Air which can accommodate that extra 2 mm? It seems that this problem would exist with other brands of filter.

View attachment 36403 I have a set of Sunnylife filters for my Mavic Air. I was able to remove the ring and replace it with a filter.

Unfortunately, I’ve found that you can’t put the gimbal protector on, with a filter in place. The filter is 2 mm taller than protective ring (see below). When you put the cover on the front of the barrel, the back of the cover doesn’t snap down. It seems the the OEM protector is designed to work only without a filter.

Does anybody know of a gimbal protector for the Mavic Air which can accommodate that extra 2 mm? It seems that this problem would exist with other brands of filter.
This is only with the brand of filter that you are using. Those Sunnylife filters are very deep. I use Skyreat filters and they work well with the gimbal cover.
Many other brands do as well. I have had no issues at all with mine. I tend to leave the ND 4 on most of the time. It is the same thickness as the stock lens ring.

Reactions: Former Member
I sent my sunnylife filters back, they produce so much that you get dark corners in your footage.

It seems that this problem would exist with other brands of filter.

It doesn't. Basically every other filter manufacturer looked at the excellent gimbal cover and decided it was best to design their product to fit appropriately.

I'm unaware of where you could get a replacement gimbal cover from, but replacement filters - basically everybody else. I use PolarPro filters and these work with the gimbal cover absolutely fine.

Paid the bucks and went polarpro. Yes you should have the protector on. IMO, pay the bucks for top filters.

View attachment 36403 I have a set of Sunnylife filters for my Mavic Air. I was able to remove the ring and replace it with a filter.

My Sunnylife filters fit. Either you have cross threaded them or they are not the correct filters.

Last edited:
My Sunnylife filters fit. Either you have cross threaded them or they are not the correct filters.

I did check, and it's not cross-threaded.

Here's the thing: I probably can get the protector to fit, because the lens barrel does fit in the tube part of the protector. Unfortunately, pushing down the hinged tail piece encounters more resistance than without the Sunnylife filter, and I don't feel comfortable pushing down harder. I can see that the lens barrel is up against the front of the protector, and if I did press it down to lock in place, I'd be moving the gimbal from its normal resting position (towards the rear of the MA), putting stress on it for as long as the protector is in place - that can't be good for the gimbal. If that's the way it's supposed to be and doesn't harm the gimbal, Sunnylife should publicly say so, and put a notice to that effect with the filter case...and they do not.

I see you returned, but this is what I found if someone is in need.
For DJI MAVIC AIR Sunnylife filters Lens Cover Protector Gimbal Protection HOT | eBay
I do have PolarPro filters though which work great with the original gimbal protector.

I did check out the link, but I have to wonder: If the Sunnylife filters are designed to fit with the MA gimbal protector, why would Sunnylife make their own protector?

I did notice that the Sunnylife is not hinged...makes me wonder what keeps it in place...the DJI has the "prongs".

In any case, I did order the PolarPro UV filter for $29.99 and started the return process for the Sunnylife set.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun