DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Final trip aboard Lets Live (Learning By Doing Ep 59)

Vernon

Reactions
This is a sailing video but there is some nice footage from my Mavic. I achieved a goal of getting drone footage while sailing solo, it was pretty nerve wracking bring the bird in to land while still sailing though!

Reactions: Crocket1158
Great Videos you're making, Vernon!
Curious to hear how you managed taking off and landing from the boat? I can see you're going slow, so did you hand-start and then catch when landing?
Going to the French Poly's on a 40 foot cat and still not sure if I can rely on my skills to catch the bird on a moving platform...

Thx and good wind on all your endeavours!

Great Videos you're making, Vernon!
Curious to hear how you managed taking off and landing from the boat? I can see you're going slow, so did you hand-start and then catch when landing?
Going to the French Poly's on a 40 foot cat and still not sure if I can rely on my skills to catch the bird on a moving platform...

Thx and good wind on all your endeavours!

Hi Nikolaus.
I started by having all the sails up but the boat pointing into the wind so not really moving. I hand launched. Then get the boat moving nicely, auto pilot on and start concentrating on the Mavic. Film for 15min then start thinking about landing. On this day it was very calm and I was only doing about 4 knots, so I just flew alongside, reached out and grabbed the drone. In stronger wind I would heave-to first to stop the boat and calm the motion. Its not really the speed you're doing that makes it hard, its the boat going up and down. The drone stays constant. One second the drone is a meter above your hand the next it is hitting the safety rail. I suggest being very confident hand launching and landing before trying it on a boat. To turn off the motors I make sure I have a firm grip then just flip the drone fast and the motors turn off right away. Easier than using the sticks one-handed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54