DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally found a decent (compatible) tablet for a decent price

Lordy

Reactions
Just a heads up for android lovers.
After owning 3 different tablets in the last month I have finally found the perfect tablet for under £200. It' a lenovo tab 4 8" plus.
It doesn' quite fit in the mavic controller so you do need an adaptor but other than that I have been using this tablet for the past couple of weeks with no issues whatsoever. Look it up, it has a great spec, is a good size and well I can't really find a fault with it. This is currently around £160-£170 & has a better spec than the Nvidia shield

How bright is it compared to the wunderphone that seems to be the brightest thing out there in sunny daylight, so far? Brightness view ability is most important.
Being honest it has not been sunny enough to check that yet, I'm in the UK so it may be a while before I find out

I'm from Wales but live in the US now. We have snow and winter clouds here too. However, if you are saying there is no problem in the brightest part of the day, even if not sunny, that is, the screen looks almost as good as it does inside, then that will be a good screen to contemplate. The thread on what is now called the Wunderphone, has been about the XT2 android phone, which is superb in bright sun and has a 5.5 inch screen. So far no tablets, other than the very expensive Crystal sky or something, is the only really good screen. The say the new iPad 4 mini is one of the best as far as being stable but there is still the draw back of it not being very good in bright sunlight, and that is the best of the ipad screens.

Last edited:
I'm from Wales but live in the US now. We have snow and winter clouds here too. However, if you are saying there is no problem in the brightest park of the day, even if not sunny, that is, the screen looks almost as good as it does inside, then that will be a good screen to contemplate. The thread on what is now called the Wunderphone, has been about the XT2 android phone, which is superb in bright sun and has a 5.5 inch screen. So far no tablets, other than the very expensive Crystal sky or screen or something, is the only really good screen. The say the new iPad 4 mini is one of the best as far as being stable but there is still the draw back of it not being very good in bright sunlight, and that is the best of the ipad screens.

It really has been good at the brightest part of the day and the brightess setting hasn't been anywhere near full.

I know about the iPad mini, I'm not a fan of Apple products & I basically thought you should not have to spend so much on a tablet just to stream from a drone on any brand. I understood what the specs needed to be roughly but that isnt enough with softwar bugs etc throwing a spanner in the works. I am just really happy up to now.

So far then you have had no problems with loss of signal, shutting down, glitches etc. it has simply been working fine the whole time? I have not flown too much but I have to say I have been lucky with my iPhone 6 with never any problems during flight. I had a few problems with no connection when preparing for a flight, but that sorted itself out somehow.

I bought the Wunderphone (XT2) to use just for flying but I might just look at this screen because it is nice to have that larger 8 inches compared to the XT's 5.5 inch screen. I found a Lenovo Tab 4 for $147.50 on ebay. That's about 103 pounds.

So far then you have had no problems with loss of signal, shutting down, glitches etc. it has simply been working fine the whole time? I have not flown too much but I have to say I have been lucky with my iPhone 6 with never any problems during flight. I had a few problems with no connection when preparing for a flight, but that sorted itself out somehow.

I bought the Wunderphone (XT2) to use just for flying but I might just look at this screen because it is nice to have that larger 8 inches compared to the XT's 5.5 inch screen. I found a Lenovo Tab 4 for $147.50 on ebay. That's about 103 pounds.
Not a single problem. I was using my galaxy s7 which has been trusty but I wanted the bigger screen also.
But No issues with the new tablet either. I just connect the lead with the tablet already switched on so no special sequence has been needed, I leave Wi-Fi on & no even been using aeroplane mode. I also have my own apps, games on it now too just to see if anything happened but nothing to report. Another great feature is it uses usb type c so the cable can be inserted any way like the Apple devices so it helps to set it up when you are rushing and have your hands full

Not a single problem. I was using my galaxy s7 which has been trusty but I wanted the bigger screen also.
But No issues with the new tablet either. I just connect the lead with the tablet already switched on so no special sequence has been needed, I leave Wi-Fi on & no even been using aeroplane mode. I also have my own apps, games on it now too just to see if anything happened but nothing to report. Another great feature is it uses usb type c so the cable can be inserted any way like the Apple devices so it helps to set it up when you are rushing and have your hands full

I am wondering if you are still happy with the brightness factor. I see these for $129 in the US now. If brightness is good, I may pick one up.

It has been measured at about 420 nits which is pretty good. The very brightest tablets are around 450 & this is not much of a difference because the numbers are not relative to percentage with this measurement if that makes sense.
If I get a sunny day soon I'll take a picture with it outside with full brightness.
It has been a while sine ice uploaded a picture in a forum though (I remember needing to use photobucket or similar) so I'll try my best

From mavichelp.com-
upload_2018-2-5_11-34-57.png

I'm talking about the plus version just to make this clear. And I've seen multiple spec sheets list is as 4gb ram but it's actually 3gb.

That list is handy but not detailed enough. Like some are quad core processors & octacores etc. And not all versions of each model are the same.

I have a 4gb version, with 64gb storage (ZA2E0053GB). It's generally not available in the UK shops, but can be had directly from the Lenovo store, at about £50 more than the standard plus version (ZA2E0123GB). The standard plus version is 3gb.

Btw, contrary to the OP, I found that it does fit directly into the Mavic Air controller arms, without an adapter.

I also found that the adapter I do have, ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071XP2MJ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) is slightly too large for the Tab 4 8. I ordered a bumper case for it, so that should make it snug.

Brightness seems good, but haven't had a really sunny day since purchase to test fully.

I have a 4gb version, with 64gb storage (ZA2E0053GB). It's generally not available in the UK shops, but can be had directly from the Lenovo store, at about £50 more than the standard plus version (ZA2E0123GB). The standard plus version is 3gb.

Btw, contrary to the OP, I found that it does fit directly into the Mavic Air controller arms, without an adapter.

I also found that the adapter I do have, ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071XP2MJ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) is slightly too large for the Tab 4 8. I ordered a bumper case for it, so that should make it snug.

Brightness seems good, but haven't had a really sunny day since purchase to test fully.

Impossible to fit. Is it smaller too?
20180427_163525.jpg

Mine looks the same, but I do have a Mavic Air controller, not a Mavic Pro.. maybe that's the difference. I thought they had the same dimensions.
20180427_170901_resized.jpg

EDIT: Oh and much to my chagrin, the Lenovo UK / Irish site has these reduced by £30 since I bought mine, so if you want one now is a good time to buy.

Last edited:
Mine looks the same, but I do have a Mavic Air controller, not a Mavic Pro.. maybe that's the difference. I thought they had the same dimensions.
View attachment 36663

EDIT: Oh and much to my chagrin, the Lenovo UK / Irish site has these reduced by £30 since I bought mine, so if you want one now is a good time to buy.
Yeah there must be a difference.

Well I did the same, I think I paid £240 but a week later it was £170. I was tempted to return it & buy another haha

I'm buying a Asus Zenpad 3S 10 and am hoping it is going to work with my MA. It is a 9.7" screen and I do have one of those tablet mounts for my controller. The Zenpad 3S is not a new model, so is a lot cheaper than some other current models.,.

... I'm also wanting to try adding a matt/non-reflective screen protector on it to improve outdoor visibility. Anyone tried that??

https://www.amazon.ca/kwmobile-prot...=8-1-spons&keywords=asus+3s+matt+screen&psc=1

These official stats may be of interest to anyone looking at purchasing:

Compared to its similarly priced competitors, the Tab 4 8 is on the brighter side, at 429 nits. This score surprisingly beat out showings from the Lenovo Tab 4 10 (307 nits) and Amazon Fire HD 8 (380 nits), as well as the category average (392 nits). The Apple iPad (470 nits) is brightest.

I'm buying a Asus Zenpad 3S 10 and am hoping it is going to work with my MA. It is a 9.7" screen and I do have one of those tablet mounts for my controller. The Zenpad 3S is not a new model, so is a lot cheaper than some other current models.,.

... I'm also wanting to try adding a matt/non-reflective screen protector on it to improve outdoor visibility. Anyone tried that??

https://www.amazon.ca/kwmobile-prot...=8-1-spons&keywords=asus+3s+matt+screen&psc=1

A friend has one of those anti glare protectors. It basically does what it says on the tin. It doesn work miracles but does help a lot for obvious reasons.

These official stats may be of interest to anyone looking at purchasing:

Compared to its similarly priced competitors, the Tab 4 8 is on the brighter side, at 429 nits. This score surprisingly beat out showings from the Lenovo Tab 4 10 (307 nits) and Amazon Fire HD 8 (380 nits), as well as the category average (392 nits). The Apple iPad (470 nits) is brightest.

I looked at these statistics too & the results when tested properly are slight different but the iPad did come out on top still but the figures in "nits" at the end of it were negligeable I the real world. They do not equate to a percenta
Just to chime in on this... the Fire HD8 (refurb from $30) is also a fabulous screen for flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian