DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Finally, no Wobbles on my Hyperlapses with my new M3!

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I'm glad to be finished with the Chile video. It took 30 days, 8 hours at the computer a day! I was excited to get back to learning about the M3. Last night I did some more filming. I did two more hyper lapses, 2 second intervals, one 300 shots, and one 125 shots. I stabilized them in Premiere Pro warp stabilizer, and also tried out the telephoto lens. I was actually able to shoot downtown from my house which is 12.2 miles! Thankfully there were no visible wobbles in the stabilized clips, as opposed to multiple trials with my M2P.

Secondly, neither video would have shown the foreground which was black in the drone-generated version. I opened it up easily in the new Adobe masking. The original video , generated from the drone, was useless. The foreground was all black with no details. But in LR Timelapse, I used the linear adjustment tool inside masking and made the foreground visible. I also did the sky adjustment with the mask. Love that tool! Here is the 35 second video.

There's some odd ghosting around the buildings between 15 and 25 seconds. Don't know how hard that would be to fix.

One trick I found useful for timelapses shot with my Nikon was running every picture through Photomatix, set to the most realistic setting, and then using those HDR images to make the time-lapse. I've done it with both bracketed and non-bracketed sequences. The raw images have enough shadow detail that Photomatix can pull it out, and I didn't end up with any more flicker than I'd have expected just from the shutter.

There's some odd ghosting around the buildings between 15 and 25 seconds. Don't know how hard that would be to fix.

One trick I found useful for timelapses shot with my Nikon was running every picture through Photomatix, set to the most realistic setting, and then using those HDR images to make the time-lapse. I've done it with both bracketed and non-bracketed sequences. The raw images have enough shadow detail that Photomatix can pull it out, and I didn't end up with any more flicker than I'd have expected just from the shutter.
Robert:

I saw the "ghosting" and attributed it to internal lens reflections, or flare. When shooting directly at the sun, it is extremely difficult to eliminate. I used to have Photomatrix when I used a PC but now, with my Mac, I rely mostly on the LR Timelapse software using Lightroom for processing. I used the Photomatrix for HDR images.

The clip was mainly to prove to myself that I have finally been able to get rid of the maddening wobble of timelapses that I was not able to eliminate with my Mavic 2 Pro, by buying the M3.

Dale

Last edited:
I'm glad to be finished with the Chile video. It took 30 days, 8 hours at the computer a day! I was excited to get back to learning about the M3. Last night I did some more filming. I did two more hyper lapses, 2 second intervals, one 300 shots, and one 125 shots. I stabilized them in Premiere Pro warp stabilizer, and also tried out the telephoto lens. I was actually able to shoot downtown from my house which is 12.2 miles! Thankfully there were no visible wobbles in the stabilized clips, as opposed to multiple trials with my M2P.

Secondly, neither video would have shown the foreground which was black in the drone-generated version. I opened it up easily in the new Adobe masking. The original video , generated from the drone, was useless. The foreground was all black with no details. But in LR Timelapse, I used the linear adjustment tool inside masking and made the foreground visible. I also did the sky adjustment with the mask. Love that tool! Here is the 35 second video.

Nice work Dale! Dispite all the negative things people have said, I love my Mavic 3, it is an awesome drone.

Glad your timelapse worked out @Dale D. As Eagle Eye said, I too find the Mavic 3 to be an awesome drone. I was testing it out yesterday in windy gusty weather and it performed flawlessly and with the my recent purchase of the RC Pro, flying in bright sunlight and having the ability to zoom, etc has been a real treat. I feel the combination of the Mavic 3 and the RC Pro is as close as I can get right now to the imaging I would get from my DSLRs as a hobbiest photographer.

I haven't tried out the timelapse or hyperlapse features yet but am looking forward to trying them out soon especially for a camping trip planned for July out to Newfoundland. I am hoping to have some good opportunities to try out those features then, as well as shooting lots of panos and low light shots.

Chris

I saw the "ghosting" and attributed it to internal lens reflections, or flare. When shooting directly at the sun, it is extremely difficult to eliminate.
It doesn't look like lens flare — at least, not any lens flare I've seen. Lens flare wouldn't match the silhouette of the skyline so closely, would it?

It looks more like the masking you mentioned is being applied to the sky as well as the foreground, as if the mask is out of sync with the frames, or possible shifted a bit.

I don't use Lightroom, so to deflicker timelapses I use an app called Sequence (now nearly 10 years old and apparently no longer supported). So I'm just guessing about how LR Timelapse works.

Glad your timelapse worked out @Dale D. As Eagle Eye said, I too find the Mavic 3 to be an awesome drone. I was testing it out yesterday in windy gusty weather and it performed flawlessly and with the my recent purchase of the RC Pro, flying in bright sunlight and having the ability to zoom, etc has been a real treat. I feel the combination of the Mavic 3 and the RC Pro is as close as I can get right now to the imaging I would get from my DSLRs as a hobbiest photographer.

I haven't tried out the timelapse or hyperlapse features yet but am looking forward to trying them out soon especially for a camping trip planned for July out to Newfoundland. I am hoping to have some good opportunities to try out those features then, as well as shooting lots of panos and low light shots.

Chris
If you are camping and planning to fly the drone, are you bringing along a portable charging device? The timelapse is especially good at devouring time off of the battery. The sunset took 25 minutes once I had the drone in the air and all of the settings ready, so add 5 minutes to that.

Very nice Dale. That ghosting is odd, starting at 14 the "normal" lens flare shows, and as the sun goes down it seems more like a negative image of the buildings and it follows the lens flare movement exactly. Never saw that before.

Very nice Dale. That ghosting is odd, starting at 14 the "normal" lens flare shows, and as the sun goes down it seems more like a negative image of the buildings and it follows the lens flare movement exactly. Never saw that before.
Yes I saw it but there was little I could do to avoid it or to fix it. Have really no clue what it is.

If you are camping and planning to fly the drone, are you bringing along a portable charging device? The timelapse is especially good at devouring time off of the battery. The sunset took 25 minutes once I had the drone in the air and all of the settings ready, so add 5 minutes to that.
Most of the camping will be in two National Parks - Terra Nova and Gros Morne - where drone flying is not allowed. I have a generator (daytime use) as I do not have electrical sites so should be fine. I also have a Goal Zero power bank and solar panels for smaller jobs. Any drone flying will be outside of National parks and where it is allowed but I should be OK for charging with the generator.

Chris

I too see the ghosting and it is in the time lapses only. It is as if there are two clips of each time lapse (one on top of the other) with one clip placed maybe three or frames behind the other and its opacity is cut to maybe 30%. This shows up vividly in the opening clip where there are cars moving on the street.

The faster moving cars' 'ghost is further behind and it is interesting to note that this is not flaring or reflection, as the cars and their corresponding ghost are not seen when passing behind objects like buildings or trees. This is why it looks like a duplicate clip just slightly behind and at a lower opacity. Not sure if this is happening in LR or PP but something is duplicating images.

Here is a cropped screen shot at 200% and you can see it. Notice the ghosts of the cars are in different directions based upon the flow of traffic and I have color coded arrows so you can see a little clearer.

Ghosts.jpg

And here is the screen shot

Ghosts2.jpg

Last edited:
I too see the ghosting and it is in the time lapses only. It is as if there are two clips of each time lapse (one on top of the other) with one clip placed maybe three or frames behind the other and its opacity is cut to maybe 30%. This shows up vividly in the opening clip where there are cars moving on the street.

The faster moving cars' 'ghost is further behind and it is interesting to note that this is not flaring or reflection, as the cars and their corresponding ghost are not seen when passing behind objects like buildings or trees. This is why it looks like a duplicate clip just slightly behind and at a lower capacity. Not sure if this is happening in LR or PP but something is duplicating images.

Here is a cropped screen shot at 200% and you can see it. Notice the ghosts of the cars are in different directions based upon the flow of traffic and I have color coded arrows so you can see a little clearer.

View attachment 148680

And here is the screen shot

View attachment 148681
All of these sequences were created in LRTimelapse, and were all totally automatic processes of the software.I load the RAW files (300 RAW images) from the drone into the program.

I only dragged on clip at a time into the timeline, so there are not two clips out of synch playing at the same time. I think this is a product of the software. Here is the same exact clip I submitted several days ago. I do not see a ghosting, do you. Let me know.

I love your image depicting the vision of the timelapse.

Here is the traffic clip. No ghosts seen for me.

Yeah, that clip has them also. This time I just did one pair in each direction. The white car moving right to left - it's ghost is on the right and the Red truck moving left to right and it's ghost is on the left partially hidden behind the tree.

I don't use LR so I can't speak to what it is doing or how this is happening but I have noticed it in your time lapses. I first saw this anomaly in one of my favorite videos of yours: Port of Miami and South Point sunrise. In that video you have a mixture of stills, time lapse, and sped-up video, and there again, the ghosting is only on the Time lapse coming from LR.

Like you I've worked with Adobe (and loved it) for years but sometimes there is one little dialogue box that needs to be checked or unchecked to make things just right.

Ghost3.jpg

Ghost4.jpg

Yeah, that clip has them also. This time I just did one pair in each direction. The white car moving right to left - it's ghost is on the right and the Red truck moving left to right and it's ghost is on the left partially hidden behind the tree.

I don't use LR so I can't speak to what it is doing or how this is happening but I have noticed it in your time lapses. I first saw this anomaly in one of my favorite videos of yours: Port of Miami and South Point sunrise. In that video you have a mixture of stills, time lapse, and sped-up video, and there again, the ghosting is only on the Time lapse coming from LR.

Like you I've worked with Adobe (and loved it) for years but sometimes there is one little dialogue box that needs to be checked or unchecked to make things just right.

View attachment 148684

View attachment 148686
I thank you for being a sharp observer and taking the time! I frankly think this is part of the motion blur created inside the software program and I don't think there are any boxes I can check. I will check the next time on the render video page to see if there are any other boxes or items that might pertain to this, but I think this "ghosting" is a part of the motion blur.

Dale

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I thank you for being a sharp observer and taking the time! I frankly think this is part of the motion blur created inside the software program and I don't think there are any boxes I can check. I will check the next time on the render video page to see if there are any other boxes or items that might pertain to this, but I think this "ghosting" is a part of the motion blur.

Dale
I went to the LR Timelapse website to look for some examples and found this. I watched it carefully (it is long-25 minute but you can watch a few minutes) and did not see any ghosting. The website also shows a photo of the render page if you wasn't to check it.

This is definitely not my work. I sure wish it was! be sure to check off high resolution on the lower right corner.

Reactions: dmiles119

Dale

Ya know, it's funny - as I was watching these clips, I was thinking that it was some AI's (artificial Intelligence) attempt at creating motion blur - in some spots it looks okay and in others it sorta sticks out.

Also, not trying to be critical just putting it out there what I was seeing. Really like your videos and one day wish I could do maybe 1/10 of the traveling you do. ;) Keep up the good work.

I went to the LR Timelapse website to look for some examples and found this. I watched it carefully (it is long-25 minute but you can watch a few minutes) and did not see any ghosting. The website also shows a photo of the render page if you wasn't to check it.

This is definitely not my work. I sure wish it was! be sure to check off high resolution on the lower right corner.

Yeah, thats defiantly some great work those guys did. And I found a spot on the video (12:43), where this 'ghosting' would have shown up IF it was being used, and there was no ghosting; rather just a butter-smooth look using a 1/2 second exposure time getting real motion Blur.

This is what makes me think it (AI motion Blur) is a parameter than can be turned off before you export out of LR.

No Ghost.jpg

Ya know, it's funny - as I was watching these clips, I was thinking that it was some AI's (artificial Intelligence) attempt at creating motion blur - in some spots it looks okay and in others it sorta sticks out.

Also, not trying to be critical just putting it out there what I was seeing. Really like your videos and one day wish I could do maybe 1/10 of the traveling you do. ;) Keep up the good work.
I will certainly look for the "motion blur" box before I render next time. I think the AI is right and that the blur shows more when objects are on a light background. I don't see these ghosts around clouds, for example.My Nikon intervalometer does not have less than a 1 minute interval.The New York video looks like longer than a 1 second interval. The longer the interval the faster things move.

My philosophy on travel has always been, you only live once. Put you money into EXPERIENCES, NOT THINGS." Sure I live in a nice home and have a nice car, but jewelry and clothes, not so much. I have always believed in travel over school for my children, and they have been to India twice, Mountain gorillas (Rwanda), Alaska, Africa twice,Europe many times, all over the USA, etc. We have been to over 100 countries. Not bragging. Just stating that I would rather take them out of school and have them learn from travel. They are now fully grown and on their own. They learned more than being in school. There will always be something in your life that stops you from traveling. Do not let it stop you! Just GO! I spent more money on travel than I made in my medical practice while away. Of course it's not the money. Don't wait until you are retired, older, kids away, etc. etc. GO NOW. Deal with the problems when you get back home.

Dale-age 83!

I will certainly look for the "motion blur" box before I render next time. I think the AI is right and that the blur shows more when objects are on a light background. I don't see these ghosts around clouds, for example.My Nikon intervalometer does not have less than a 1 minute interval.The New York video looks like longer than a 1 second interval. The longer the interval the faster things move.
Dale, when I said 1/2 second, that is the exposure time not the interval. So in that video they are using a shutter speed of around 1/2 a second and the interval of perhaps 1 or 2 seconds to get that look. But the motion blur is created 'in camera' using a long exposure time. Depending on the camera, lens and aperture, they might even be using ND's to achieve that 1/2 second shutter.

This guy (Blue Mantle Films), was one of the first I saw that did amazing Hyperlapses with Mavic 2 pro going back about four years. In this video he gives specific on the setting he uses in terms of exposure as well as some pretty amazing examples. The same would apply to a Mavic 3.

Reactions: dmiles119
Dale, when I said 1/2 second, that is the exposure time not the interval. So in that video they are using a shutter speed of around 1/2 a second and the interval of perhaps 1 or 2 seconds to get that look. But the motion blur is created 'in camera' using a long exposure time. Depending on the camera and aperture, they might even be using ND's.

This guy (Blue Mantle Films), was one of the first I saw that did amazing Hyperlapses with Mavic 2 pro going back about four years. In this video he gives specific on the setting he uses in terms of exposure as well as some pretty amazing examples. The same would apply to a Mavic 3.

Yes- I am familiar with this video. I have watched it many times. I also purchased his LUTs. I was never able to fly like he does. He is my hero with those videos. I think I will just have to keep at my usual routine an try to learn asw much as I can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada