DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally they posted where you can fly!

BcDiver

Reactions
I live in Oregon and alway looking at where you can fly instead of the constant no flying drones signs. We we’re visiting in the Columbia River Gorge this last weekend and I was vis some of the waterfalls along the gorge, Multnomah Falls has always been a place I wanted to photograph and wanted to fly my drone for some pictures. Flying there is not allowed of course but they were nice enough to post places close by that allowed flying. I wish more places posted these so you don’t have to spend time researching bef going. 40455D7F-7929-4705-A7AA-1A99408B5201.jpeg

That’s a great idea, in fact it just gave me a great one also!

I’m thinking of putting together a flier of local places to fly and will donate it to our local park areas so they can pass it out or post it with their NoDrone Zone signs to help our local drone community.

Thanks for posting this!

Fantastic. I fly in Oregon too and this is great info. I was on the coast last month and asked a State Park ranger at Otter Crest State Scenic Viewpoint if it was ok to fly. The offshore rocks and islands all along the Oregon coast are prohibited areas due to bird nesting. No aircraft allowed within 500 feet of these areas. The ranger told me that I could fly to my heart's content in spite of that prohibition since the nesting season was over. She told me that the Oregon Legislature was actually in the process of formalizing new rules for drone use at the State Parks that were more lenient and clear and that we should be seeing those new rules rolled out "soon". Yea Oregon.

Most excellent!

Reactions: eaglesurfing
I live in Oregon and alway looking at where you can fly instead of the constant no flying drones signs. We we’re visiting in the Columbia River Gorge this last weekend and I was vis some of the waterfalls along the gorge, Multnomah Falls has always been a place I wanted to photograph and wanted to fly my drone for some pictures. Flying there is not allowed of course but they were nice enough to post places close by that allowed flying. I wish more places posted these so you don’t have to spend time researching bef going. View attachment 85271
I just got back from southern Oregon and I noticed there were more "drone friendly " places than other places I visit. Looks like I'll be going to Oregon a lot more.

Reactions: Gindra
I live in Gresham and I am in a Drone class at Portland Community College. Finding places to get nice shots has been a pain in the butt. I wanted to go to Cannon Beach, but they have this posted. UGH. copy_of_drone_sign.png

I live in Gresham and I am in a Drone class at Portland Community College. Finding places to get nice shots has been a pain in the butt. I wanted to go to Cannon Beach, but they have this posted. UGH. View attachment 123505
On the one hand, only the FAA can regulate the airspace around that rock. On the other hand, they're spot on on the consequences to wildlife -- so you probably shouldn't be flying there, even if after an extremely expensive court case you'd probably come out the victor.

Still by forbidding launches in a half mile circle like that, you're basically making VLOS impossible, which accomplishes the same effect.

Still, it'd be interesting to write an FAA a letter with the above graphic attached to get their clarification on the matter. I'm sure the FAA would send you a letter back explaining that the city can regulate launch and land sites but has no legal standing to regulate the actual airspace around the rock. I'd encourage you to write them, they're very willing to write back most of the time.

*edit* I did look at the sectionals for this area and that rock is a NWR -- while the graphic the city is posting is probably incorrect as far as the law goes, if you do fly a drone and if the Fish and Wildlife Service decide your drone harassed the birds, it'll be expensive -- not because you violated airspace, but because it's against federal law to harass wildlife at a NWR. This definitely feels like one of those "just don't do it" kind of things, because the spirit of the law is protecting wildlife and you risk harming the wildlife by trying to push boundaries.

Last edited:
I live in Gresham and I am in a Drone class at Portland Community College. Finding places to get nice shots has been a pain in the butt. I wanted to go to Cannon Beach, but they have this posted. UGH. View attachment 123505

Does it really say you must be at least 2000 ft?

Well, if they say its ok to fly at 2000 feet........ :rolleyes:

They are probably going by FAA request (not law - just advice) that pilots of manned aircraft maintain at least 2000 feet altitude above the NWR. Obviously for drones that would not be legal.
I believe if it’s designated as national wilderness the 2000’ is the legal minimum altitude.

I believe if it’s designated as national wilderness the 2000’ is the legal minimum altitude.
It's the "suggested" altitude by the FAA; it's posted in an advisory not in a regulation, and the verbiage is such that it's clear that it's not a regulation but rather a recommendation.

Regardless of the "regulation vs suggestion" if you fly under 2000' over the designated area you are likely "Harassing Wildlife".

Just because you're "able" to fly somewhere doesn't mean it's a good idea nor we should. Some places need to be off limits.

Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
...She told me that the Oregon Legislature was actually in the process of formalizing new rules for drone use at the State Parks that were more lenient and clear and that we should be seeing those new rules rolled out "soon". Yea Oregon.
Anyone have any details on what the new OR legislation will include? They are supposed to roll out in 2021.

The world views drones very differently than when this was posted in 2019. I would bet every dime I have the new rules will not be more lenient. My fear is they will do as many other state parks and become NFZs, that require a permit weeks in advance to fly in. This would decimate my flying, as state parks are the only place I can get well away from people and fly without bothering anyone while avoiding private property. I don't know of many other places to fly that doesn't infringe private property, which in OR the land owner can sue you for.

Regardless of the "regulation vs suggestion" if you fly under 2000' over the designated area you are likely "Harassing Wildlife".

Just because you're "able" to fly somewhere doesn't mean it's a good idea nor we should. Some places need to be off limits.
Indeed, what we can do and what we should do are different things. And both are worth discussing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom