DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finding out about the Mini 3 RC is !!!! UGH!

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
So now that I know the RC only works with the Mini 3 and no other drone and that the RC pro will not work with the Mini 3 ....
I feel my self shaking my head up and down thinking well done DJI , well played , I see where you going with this. Lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Tears .....................

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Yep, canceled my order after finding out it’s not gonna work with the RC Pro. I didn’t really need it anyway. I’m not feeding into DJI’s continued lack of respect for multiple repeat customers. I buy all their drones. Not this time. I truly don’t care about vertical video. If I need it I’ll dust off the ol’ Mavic pro.

Explains why the kit with RC is so 'cheap'. Would be great if that's the only drone you're going to use, and don't have sufficient phone/tablet to use. But I think a lot of us plan to upgrade eventually.

I just got the Air 2S last week and while I find the Mini 3 Pro to have some nice features for the mini class, I'm still not regretting the Air 2S (got it primarily for 10-bit footage and some obstacle avoidance)... but I might eventually get the Mini 3 to replace my Mini 2 down the road.

Explains why the kit with RC is so 'cheap'. Would be great if that's the only drone you're going to use, and don't have sufficient phone/tablet to use. But I think a lot of us plan to upgrade eventually.

I just got the Air 2S last week and while I find the Mini 3 Pro to have some nice features for the mini class, I'm still not regretting the Air 2S (got it primarily for 10-bit footage and some obstacle avoidance)... but I might eventually get the Mini 3 to replace my Mini 2 down the road.
Bad timing on the Air2s, it will soon drop in price significantly

Reactions: Torque
I understand why you shake your head, but it's not like, that this information is new. It was clear upon the official reveal, that the DJI RC is the only RC AT THE MOMENT, that supports the Mini 3 Pro.

As DJI seems to have a habit to antagonise buyers of controllers - Smart Controller anyone - it was also pretty obvious they will sell you the most expensive package first.

My guess is, with the availability of the Mini 3 Pro alone in August, that an update will make it also work with the RC Pro then.

The Air 2S is still an awesome drone - but why you bought it with the 10th May so close and now wonder, that the Mini 3 Pro show some progression?

In my opinion if you don't have problems with regulations, ie with the MTOM, the Air 2S is great. ;)

The Air 2S is still an awesome drone - but why you bought it with the 10th May so close and now wonder, that the Mini 3 Pro show some progression?

In my opinion if you don't have problems with regulations, ie with the MTOM, the Air 2S is great.
Got it because I was pretty confident that the Mini 3's wasn't going to get 10bit video color or the same color profiles given their target market. So I do agree it's great, and it suits my specific need without having to shell out for a Mavic 3 or old M2 Pro. (can you tell that 10bit HLG is that important to me? :D lol).

People were also confident that mini 2 would not get raw photo capabilities either
That's kind of a different ballpark, I half expected it because even a tiny old Pentax Q10 from 2012 or so with a 1/2.3" sensor had DNG raw, it wouldn't have took much at all to incorporate it and was an easy selling point to throw in. 10-bit video isn't that common on most consumer cameras, whereas at that time Raw (especially DNG) was pretty common.

What I didn't expect was them to give a firmware update to give us Mini 1 adopters 2.7K 48p, that was a nice touch, course if I remember correctly, happened after the Mini 2 been on sale for a little bit.

Im ready to jump on one, but i want to ensure i get the OS3 capability, and i cant find clear answers on what controller will allow for this.
The thing that has me interested is the ability for longer hyperlapse shots with the pretty impressive endurance with the bigger batteries

I understand why you shake your head, but it's not like, that this information is new. It was clear upon the official reveal, that the DJI RC is the only RC AT THE MOMENT, that supports the Mini 3 Pro.
The Mini 3 is currently listed with the RC-N1/RC231 on Amazon UK, though the fancy controller version is no longer listed.

For those not needing something today, these RC issues will probably settle themselves shortly (shortly as in the next couple of months). It's almost definite that the DJI RC will work with other drones (DJI said it will). Whether that is future drones only or will also include the Mavic 3 and maybe the Air 2S we'll see.

I would also guess the RC Pro will work with the Mini 3 Pro as well, although DJI has not said that, so it really is just a guess. Think if you are going to hope people spend all that money on the RC Pro in the future they'll want it to at least work with as many drones as the DJI-RC, otherwise it is a less compelling buy.

Reactions: DanJ and Torque
Yep, canceled my order after finding out it’s not gonna work with the RC Pro. I didn’t really need it anyway. I’m not feeding into DJI’s continued lack of respect for multiple repeat customers. I buy all their drones. Not this time. I truly don’t care about vertical video. If I need it I’ll dust off the ol’ Mavic pro.
I completely forgot that the Mavic Pro did vertical video. Thanks for the reminder.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

So now that I know the RC only works with the Mini 3 and no other drone and that the RC pro will not work with the Mini 3 ....
I feel my self shaking my head up and down thinking well done DJI , well played , I see where you going with this. Lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Tears .....................

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
They do seem to have a way of making sure folks keep buying more "stuff" don't they. They did that with the original Smart Controller, put out a few drones that would work with it, then cut it off. Then did with the next Smart Controller, which I'm sure folks bought thinking it would work with other models well into the future. And now is the RC Pro going to be another "one and done", who knows. And none of them have ground breaking technology that would have required a change at all, but it keeps the $ coming. Oh yes, and now the "golden ticket" which appears to be another gimmick to bring in more $ for items they probably otherwise wouldn't have sold. Marketing at its best.

I completely forgot that the Mavic Pro did vertical video. Thanks for the reminder.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water
I only knew it did because I have an photography professor I keep in contact with since graduation, who is still rocking his original Mavic Pro and refuses to flash any firmware since it he doesn't like the idea of control. He'll likely not upgrade until that drone dies. Kind of nifty being able to do portrait orientation without cropping (or defying physics).

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
They do seem to have a way of making sure folks keep buying more "stuff" don't they. They did that with the original Smart Controller, put out a few drones that would work with it, then cut it off. Then did with the next Smart Controller, which I'm sure folks bought thinking it would work with other models well into the future. And now is the RC Pro going to be another "one and done", who knows. And none of them have ground breaking technology that would have required a change at all, but it keeps the $ coming. Oh yes, and now the "golden ticket" which appears to be another gimmick to bring in more $ for items they probably otherwise wouldn't have sold. Marketing at its best.

DJI had traditionally made everything unique (batteries, controllers, etc) requiring more purchases.

That said, it seems they have turned a corner, with the last 5 consumer drones all using the RCN1 remote and now they offer packages with no remote to save some money.

I disagree with you on the Smart Controller/Rc Pro though. The problem with the Smart Controller is it was a mid range processor at the time and after being several year old, it wasn't going to keep up with the demands of the newer drones. No different than trying to use an older (and not top of the line to being with) android phone/tablet for it, it just wasn't going to work well unfortunately. You'll notice the latest supported Samsung Galaxy S series supported now for the fly app is the S10 which was a top of the line processor in 2019 compared to the Smart Controller using a 2016 mid-level processor.

The RC Pro is not yet compatible with the Mini 3 Pro. Too early to say it won't be and I would be stunned if it is not eventually and not compatible with the next several years worth of drones. We'll have to wait and see but calling it "one and done" at this juncture is very premature. Of course, 5 years from now we'll have the same issue that it will be an aging technology and will be put out to pasture and people will complain. The good news is the RC Pro is starting with a high end chip to begin with so hopefully that gives it a little more life than the original Smart Controller.

My Samsung Galaxy S53 works great with FLY. Big enough, 800 nit screen. It's a phone too, but poor audio. My cheap LG sounds way better.

Reactions: Tr 68
I think DJI is getting worse and worse at supporting their existing products and instead just pumping out more new stuff more or less abandoning the past faithful buyers. Many examples as such as the M#, they also were going to come out with 24fps on the FPV,, they also stated they would add new drones to the RC Pro, Even with the Mini 1 instead of acknowledging the issue of the unwanted descents they just came out with the Mini 2. I know there are others. I think that is why you are seeing a number of people with a wait and see attitude of any issues. I like DJI products but my opinion is they need to do a better job of supporting a product when someone invests a decent amount of $$$ in it. Just my opinion

Reactions: DanJ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu