DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finding somewhere to fly

jwwphoto

Reactions
Do you find it difficult finding a place where you can fly. I live in SW Louisiana and I would have never dreamed of so many registered airports. Every Hospiital has a Helo Pad and there is even an airport near me that is no longer operating (Private strip for a single engine pilot) but shows up many years after that property owner sold to industrial complex.

So do I plan a trip to the middle of nowhere? Any ideas? I am sure I will get flamed again for asking a question, but maybe a few of you have some honest input as to some ideas on finding a place to fly.

Jeff

I bet its a lot easier to find places to find then you believe. You really shouldn't be prevented from flying unless you're within 5 miles of a airport. Why are you having problems?

Here is my location on AirMap. Why is the entire gulf coast restricted? There are places there that is sparsely populated or even visited.

I guess I am just a little disappointed that My area is so restricted.

Jeff

Attachments

• F06CF021-4461-4F44-9EFB-906BA8924D05.png
    F06CF021-4461-4F44-9EFB-906BA8924D05.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
Here is my location on AirMap. Why is the entire gulf coast restricted? There are places there that is sparsely populated or even visited.

Jeff

Most likely, it's MOA. They are usually huuuuuge. You'll get a dialog box in Go 4 with two checkboxes, you tick them and good to fly excercising common sense and caution - those military jets can fly low and appear out of nowhere in seconds.

Reactions: jwwphoto
Hopefully i am not going to receive tons of "drone police" posts for this, but here we go...

Switch the AirMap app to the part 107 mode. This will stop the app from marking every single airport and helipod, marking location where controlled airspace extends all the way to the surface instead. I either avoid flying in controlled airspace or fly really low (below buildings/tree tops). I do, however, feel free to take off in an uncontrolled airspace, but will immediately back off and yield at the first sight (or sound) of any air traffic.

This is not exactly following the rules by the letter, but slightly more sensible than not flying anywhere there may be a field that is used as a landing stripe for some cessna about once a year.

Obviously, do NOT fly over crowds, busy highways, or any places you losing power may mean someone losing one's life or some of one's body parts! Bending the rules doesn't mean you gotta do it wrecklessly.

Reactions: jwwphoto
Suggestion, fly low, turn your return to home to "hover" when lose signal settings and start flying low under and through the trees if battery gets low or lose signal it'll hover instead of going up and sticking high in those trees. Practice practice and get good stick time.

I would NOT suggest anyone to fly between trees, unless highly proficient flying, and those trees aren't nearly at some dark forest density. But yea, if you do fly anywhere with anything but an open sky above - set RTH to hovering, indeed.

But whats worse slowly flying and getting stick time or loosing the drone in Louisiana Pine trees? With DJI first year insurance youll have something to return rather than no returns. I'll agree it depends on your level of skill and remembering to leave the Mavic in tripod mode at first.

Jeff
I live in Bonita Springs Florida. I'm right between the Fort Myers International Airport airspace and Naples Florida airport airspace. I bought my new mavic Pro, all ready to fly. Then I find out Bonita Springs has a city ordinance that prohibits drone flying in the city of Bonita Springs that leaves me with absolutely no where to fly. What the heck is anyone else that live in this area have the same issue and where are they flying.

Welcome to "drone-dom's" best kept secret! All those wonderful drone images...commercially & professionally done-which means permit$ and approval$. I did the same thing-bought my Mavic and found that technically it's illegal to fly in my back yard due to the medical facilities with helipads (which are used) within short distances from my home. Virtually ALL city and county parks are posted off-limits to all Remote Controlled (RC) vehicles across the Denver metroplex! There were two places close to where I live that allowed flight. One county park with a $10 annual permit and the other at a state park with an annual pass ($18) that's maintained by the local RC flying club. Thanks to drones, I was exposed to a fantastic group of fixed wing RC fliers. I've taken and continue to take lessons to learn fixed wing RC flying. My garage has become my "hangar" and my interests in aviation and flight has increased exponentially!!! Find a RC flying club close to you-see where their field is and if they permit quadcopters. Stay legal. Put on a good face to the public by staying legal ((and out of the news.) Join and have some fun.

BTW They say flying LARGE is easier than flying small. I agree. Here's one of the RC planes in my new hangar!

Attachments

• 20171203_111515_edited-1.jpg
    20171203_111515_edited-1.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 14
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54