DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firewall on Android

Calhoun Ranger

Reactions
I am on Android 5.0.1 on a Samsung Note4. After carefully reading nearly every posting on the new firmware/app debate, I chose to install OS Monitor and NetGuard firewall, and block DJI apps from internet access. My phone is not rooted.
These questions are very specific to those who use NetGuard firewall and OS Monitor on Android.
For the time being, I am choosing NOT to update firmware and app. I disagree strongly in principle with DJI's methods and corporate attitudes.
NetGuard is supposed to be enabled whenever the phone starts; mine, however, will not. I get a java error, and have to turn on the firewall manually each time I turn the phone on. Any hints on fixing this would be appreciated.
In the meantime, according to OS Monitor (another nice Android app), DJI GO 4 already establishes connection to and/or listens to various servers BEFORE I can get the firewall turned on.
For anyone such as myself trying to prevent communication with DJI servers for a while, it seems that they still have outsmarted me, unless I can get a rooted phone.
Given my non-rooted phone, is there any way I can truly prevent communication with DJI servers? Basically, if they have communication with my phone, I expect they can PUSH any changes they want to push.
It is not necessary for anyone to make "foil hat" comments; I think DJI has the capability to do just about anything they want to do related to their firmware and their app.

How about preventing Go4 from autostart and then switching your phone to flight mode before use? This will have the good side effect of no other messages disturbing the flight...

Disable automatic update on all apps.
Done, I just failed to mention that. Thanks for the response . . . I am concerned that DJI can fetch data through these established internet connections that occur BEFORE the firewall kicks in.

How about preventing Go4 from autostart and then switching your phone to flight mode before use? This will have the good side effect of no other messages disturbing the flight...
Thanks, I do use airplane mode as well. I am just concerned that these connections that get made before the firewall kicks in will allow DJI to make changes ANYWAY.

I am on Android 5.0.1 on a Samsung Note4. After carefully reading nearly every posting on the new firmware/app debate, I chose to install OS Monitor and NetGuard firewall, and block DJI apps from internet access. My phone is not rooted.
These questions are very specific to those who use NetGuard firewall and OS Monitor on Android.
For the time being, I am choosing NOT to update firmware and app. I disagree strongly in principle with DJI's methods and corporate attitudes.
NetGuard is supposed to be enabled whenever the phone starts; mine, however, will not. I get a java error, and have to turn on the firewall manually each time I turn the phone on. Any hints on fixing this would be appreciated.
In the meantime, according to OS Monitor (another nice Android app), DJI GO 4 already establishes connection to and/or listens to various servers BEFORE I can get the firewall turned on.
For anyone such as myself trying to prevent communication with DJI servers for a while, it seems that they still have outsmarted me, unless I can get a rooted phone.
Given my non-rooted phone, is there any way I can truly prevent communication with DJI servers? Basically, if they have communication with my phone, I expect they can PUSH any changes they want to push.
It is not necessary for anyone to make "foil hat" comments; I think DJI has the capability to do just about anything they want to do related to their firmware and their app.

I know this is of no help to you, but I just wanted to say that I have used OS Monitor for a couple of years now to watch dji's activity on my device. Export this...Import that....nearly non-stop.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore