DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FIRMWARE : Improved routines

Perran

Reactions
This should actually be sent to JVI, but I can not log in to their Forum.
I am routed to an "Old" forum that was closed 3 years ago and does not have an administrator that can tell me what the problem is !
I was looking for an Improvements and Suggestions group, but did not find any,

Being new to Mavic Pro (but not to drones), I had a lot of things to go through.
Firmware updates, configuration, calibration etc etc.
I have had the MP for a few days, it showed out that the device left the factory as early as one year ago.
Laying on the shelf in a shop here, probably the last one, discounted and obsolete due to the MP2 introduction,

Now the subject : Firmware Upgrade.

The firmware packets are quite big, 250 - 300 Mb.
It takes time to download from an overloaded JVI server and a crappy Internet !
I have been using the GO 4 app for downloading and calibration.
I might be wrong, but it seems that the download of the firmware restarts from scratch if the download fails by some reason.
Instead of continuing from where it was interrupted.
And what happens if the data transfer to the Mavic fails, does the process start over agin, from the beginning ?

I propose that JVI provides all the firmware as Torrents.
That there are separate (or built in) automatic services for validating the downloads (checksums, CRC or whatever)
as is standard in the Linux world.

This is a Win-Win concept !

The users/customers get their firmware faster and they can be assured the files are valid (not corrupted).
Also, for an emergency case, they have their firmware available on some media, should it be necessary
to refresh the firmware in the drone.
There are probably a lot of users all over the world right now, that downloads firmware 24/7 !

JVI will benefit from happier customers.
And the load on their servers will be substantially reduced !
Meaning less investments.

I hope somebody from the JVI support reads this and can comment it.
And push it through !

Happy Downloading and Flying !

Reactions: charles p
Probably better if you used DJI’s Assitant 2 for calibrations, downloads, and firmware updates. This does however depend on having a computer and preferably a wired internet connection.

Probably better if you used DJI’s Assitant 2 for calibrations, downloads, and firmware updates. This does however depend on having a computer and preferably a wired internet connection.

Thanks for your comment Bob !
I actually use the DJI Assistant.
I am new to this, and have not learnt all names etc, DJI . . . JVi . . . .

The request was in summary to have all Firmware, Apps, Documentation etc as Torrents.
And have a built-in firmware verification routine running automatically at boot of the drone.
(if it does not already exist).
The drone is too expensive and dangerous to be launched with corrupt software !

I think everybody that has a Mavic also has got a computer, and if you have one, you also have Internet !

Personally, all the checks that I’d want to do on the integrity of a firmware or other file for use with £1000 worth of drone that had been downloaded from torrents would negate the supposed ease of using torrents. I’ll stick to getting the file from a primary source, thanks.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
Personally, all the checks that I’d want to do on the integrity of a firmware or other file for use with £1000 worth of drone that had been downloaded from torrents would negate the supposed ease of using torrents. I’ll stick to getting the file from a primary source, thanks.
Howdy again, Boss !
I think we are on the same track and have the same opinion !
Safety is Number 1 Prio for me.
Of course, you will only download from a DJI site.
The Firmware Validation should be done automatically.
By the Assistant after completed download.
By the drone at each power on.

ya if your trying to get to DJI.com I don't think JVI will get ya there!!

Reactions: Kilrah
This should actually be sent to JVI, but I can not log in to their Forum.
I am routed to an "Old" forum that was closed 3 years ago and does not have an administrator that can tell me what the problem is !
I was looking for an Improvements and Suggestions group, but did not find any,

Being new to Mavic Pro (but not to drones), I had a lot of things to go through.
Firmware updates, configuration, calibration etc etc.
I have had the MP for a few days, it showed out that the device left the factory as early as one year ago.
Laying on the shelf in a shop here, probably the last one, discounted and obsolete due to the MP2 introduction,

Now the subject : Firmware Upgrade.

The firmware packets are quite big, 250 - 300 Mb.
It takes time to download from an overloaded JVI server and a crappy Internet !
I have been using the GO 4 app for downloading and calibration.
I might be wrong, but it seems that the download of the firmware restarts from scratch if the download fails by some reason.
Instead of continuing from where it was interrupted.
And what happens if the data transfer to the Mavic fails, does the process start over agin, from the beginning ?

I propose that JVI provides all the firmware as Torrents.
That there are separate (or built in) automatic services for validating the downloads (checksums, CRC or whatever)
as is standard in the Linux world.

This is a Win-Win concept !

The users/customers get their firmware faster and they can be assured the files are valid (not corrupted).
Also, for an emergency case, they have their firmware available on some media, should it be necessary
to refresh the firmware in the drone.
There are probably a lot of users all over the world right now, that downloads firmware 24/7 !

JVI will benefit from happier customers.
And the load on their servers will be substantially reduced !
Meaning less investments.

I hope somebody from the JVI support reads this and can comment it.
And push it through !

Happy Downloading and Flying !

I recently upgraded my Mavic Pro firmware. Everything went well. However, once the process was completed, I realized my password was lost: I could no longer use my password. I tried over and over to no avail. Can anyone tell me what happened? What can I do to retrieve my password?

More and more providers, especially mobile providers are blocking torrent protocols now so this would mean they couldn't get updates.

It is a pity the Torrents have become synonymous to downloading software (movies, programs, operating systems etc) illegally.
The concept itself (torrents) is advantageous to users/downloaders as well as to the providers (in this case DJI).

DJI has been trying to secure their software to prevent hacking so it isn't too likely you'll get the source code, if that's what you're after.
On older Phantom models you would download the new firmware from DJI.com, put it on an SD card at the root folder, put the SD card in the AC and start the AC. It would even produce logs on how the update progressed for the various system modules. I wish the'd at least put that back though it may be logged on the mobile or Asssistant somewhere.

The firmware on the AC, battery and RC is checked every time you launch the GO app. New firmware availability is checked when you also have active internet.
I'm sure it does a checksum both after download and upload.

If it is true what you say, checksumming after download and checksumming the drone memory, we should be on the safe side !
Thanks DanMan

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU