DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware Mismatch Error Message Disables Camera and Engine Start M2P

Conservative Nihilist

Reactions
I flew my Mavic 2 Pro a couple of days ago with nothing unusual to report, but then when I went flying it today, I got a firmware mismatch error, with the camera image blacked out AND the engines unable to start.

The firmware that came with the drone when I bought it recently was the 790 revision which I presume to be the latest. Furthermore, I have not attempted to update the firmware ever since I started operating this drone, with no adverse effects, therefore it is baffling to see a firmware mismatch error message.

I cannot use the drone at all now and would be grateful for any insights that can be offered about how to resolve this perplexing new fault that has grounded my Miavic 2 Pro.

The firmware mismatch error usually means that the battery haven't been updated. This can be a bit confusing when the drone firmware have been updated (with a battery in the drone) & then flown without a problem (with that battery)... then this error comes up when another battery is inserted. To update the battery you put it in the drone & redo the drone firmware update in DJI Assistant 2.

Could this be the problem..? Try to redo the drone update & see if it work, if ok then do the same for all the batteries you have to be on the safe side.

Just an observation.
Slup's post corresponds to other posts I have read ....... but .......I have multiple batteries, stemming from differing mavic 2s. The drones are on different firmware and a battery's firmware matches its original drone, since I do not like updating firmware I do not update the batteries.
If I use the 'wrong' battery in a drone I get this message and assuming slup etc. are correct I have yet to lose video or be unable to start a drone's motors.

If I remember correctly (haven't flown the M2P in awhile), and it was the same with other models, when I upgraded firmware and not all batteries were updated, I would get the mismatched firmware error. I would be in the field, I did not get a blank screen only the error message. There was an option to upgrade at that moment. I selected it and waited for less than a minute while the battery updated. I then started up and flew. The blank screen is whats puzzling.

Turns out that the SD card, of all things, was the culprit. Someone in this forum mentioned that simply removing the SD card and restarting the drone may resolve that "Firmware Mismatch Error Message" accompanied by the Mavic 2 Pro camera view being replaced by a black screen, and the engines refusing to start.

I removed the SD card and re-started the drone, after which the camera view returned, and the only error message related to the missing SD card, Without the SD card present, the drone started up and flew normally but when I reinstalled the SD card, the "Firmware Mismatch Error Message" reappeared, the engines again would not start and the camera view reverted back to the black screen.

If I had ten guesses about the cause of that Firmware Mismatch error message, I'd probably not think of the SD card, yet that is indeed what the problem turned out to be. I'll swap in a different SD card from my Mavic 1 Pro to see if all systems work normally with that SD card swap. With the SD card thus confirmed as the culprit, I'll order a new high-speed SD card for the M2P.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoozierDroneDaddy
I suspect that you will find a corrupt image file or 'misnamed' image file on the card. From memory such a thing once prevented my M2Z from connecting to the controller. I think I had changed the name of a photo and or there may have been a gap in the photo's name.

Well Felix, yours is the first mention I have encountered about Drone Hacks triggering bizarre error messages. I did in fact buy a copy of No Limit Drones for my Mavic 2 Pro, but unlike my Mavic 1 Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum which worked with NLD right away, I was unable to activate that No Limit Drones subscription for the Mavic 2 Pro, meaning I wasted that 40 euro subscription fee.

Your mention of odd error messages is very useful though because I now understand why my Mavic 1 Pro occasionally gives an error message insisting that I "restart the drone" mid-flight during Litchi missions. Regarding the error message I got with the Mavic 2 Pro, I am reasonably confident that it was the result of a corrupted SD card.

Well Felix, yours is the first mention I have encountered about Drone Hacks triggering bizarre error messages
And hopefully the last, because DH does not trigger bizarre error messages.
The only message you get is that you are in a No Fly Zone if you start the drone indoors with no GPS reception.
This is documented in the instructions.
Starting it outside gives no such message.
If you want to fly indoors, you can disable the unlock certificate in Go4, and you can fly. When you want to fly outside again, just enable it with a slide of a button.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato