DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware update for optional posting of GPS coordinates on pics for M2 Pro/Zoom

Ken Means

Reactions
I am hoping DJI will include an update for the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom to add GPS data to pics and video just like I see in the M2 Enterprise dual. This is needed to relay location data to a ground crew in a search and rescue effort. I know the GPS. data is there in realtime because one can find it by going to "find my drone" during flight. You then can screen-shot this and send it to our command center via text. It would be easier to just send a screen shot of the point of interest with the GPS coordinates already posted. How does one communicate this request to DJI?

Reactions: Gindra
Keep us posted. Scroll to the bottom. Click on online support.

Your photos are already geotagged - just use a EXIF reader app to read the GPS data on them. Some will even batch reprint GPS info from their EXIF data onto each photo in a file directory.

Here: Geotagging with ExifTool

Oh wait- you mean realtime from the controller during flight? Ok, that would be trickier... I think you would need a smart controller or use the monitor (droid or iphone or CS) that can run apps to do it. It could be done with a separate Android or IOS app running on one of those.

Last edited:
Hmmm...I I looked at the Geotagging with ExifTool but I didn't see how this would help. Would I load this tool on my IOS device and then send pic to it to geotag it? This is much like the extra step of find my drone to get GPS data. Am I right or am I just not getting it?

Hmmm...I I looked at the Geotagging with ExifTool but I didn't see how this would help. Would I load this tool on my IOS device and then send pic to it to geotag it? This is much like the extra step of find my drone to get GPS data. Am I right or am I just not getting it?

Its a separate program you run on a PC- upload your drone pics into a file folder, instruct EXIF Tools to add GPS coords to each photo, and it goes through each photo and overlays GPS coords on each one, or you can run it on single photos too.

There may be ios or droid apps that can do it on your phone, but I haven't looked. I will try to see what’s out there.

It sounds like you need it real time though, without having to access the actual drone photos, right?

Last edited:
Its a separate program you run on a PC- upload your drone pics into a file folder, instruct EXIF Tools to add GPS coords to each phoyo, and it goes through each photo and overlays GPS coords on the photos, or you can run it on single photos too.

There may be ios or droid apps that can do it on your phone, but I haven't looked. I will try to see what’s out there.

It sounds like you need it real time though, without having to access the actual drone photos, right?
If that’s the case you could just use something like Litchi to display the coordinates on screen and send the screen shot to command.

I can’t believe your command doesn’t have a program like @AMann is talking about as part of their workflow on their end.

Its a separate program you run on a PC- upload your drone pics into a file folder, instruct EXIF Tools to add GPS coords to each photo, and it goes through each photo and overlays GPS coords on each one, or you can run it on single photos too.

Yes, I need it to be realtime

Litchi brother....that is your solution, brett is right!

Reactions: brett8883
Thanks for a workable solution brett8883 and Mike 4884. I bought Litchie for my iOS devices and can now see GPS data realtime. Yippie! I will now have to learn Litchie operations and also buy Litchie again for my Android devices. It's too bad DJI could not give us this important option in DJI GO 4.

Reactions: brett8883
See this thread:

See this thread:

Thanks,

Thank You "skysthelimit"
I hope to see it in the next firmware update.
It is indeed needed for DJI go 4 for the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom. Me and my SAR friends will love it. The pilot app with the eneterprise dual has on screen GPS. I would rather use Go 4 than Litchie for the pro/zoom but Go4 does not have an on screen GPS data option like Litchie has,.

Well, like @BigAl07 said, DJI has already said they'd add it but may be holding off to only offer it in Enterprise Edition to get more sales there. Would be a poor decision on their part support-wise but good for the bottom line. We'll see...

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S