DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware Update Nightmare, IMU, SD Card Missing, Gimbal Locked, Battery Cell, Transmission Fail

Brian_MavicPro

Reactions
So there I was, out in the field ready to launch when I got a notice that my SD card was not present. I had done all the prechecks before leaving and everything was fine, so what happened? Oh well, by all means, use the internal memory because I can't fix this issue in the field. I take off and after 30 seconds in the air, I start getting transmission signal errors, sensor swapping notices, etc. So, I ended my fun after about 5 minutes and called it DONE.

I get home and turned everything on. Oh look, I have map updates, I have firmware updates and remote control updates....so where was that this morning? It's been a few weeks since V01.00.0400 came out and it should have recognized this issue before I left the house. Oh well, I shall update everything. That's where everything went downhill leaving me with a bricked Mavic 2. As a paperweight, I must attest that the fan works great. I'll be keeping my paperwork cool and dust free with this feature.

So, what did I try, what did I conclude?
  1. First, I tried the usual wifi update via DJI Go 4. It would get to 99% and hang for eternity.
  2. Next, I deleted the DJI Assistant on my Mac and loaded the latest DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic's from DJI's support site under my product downloads. DJI Assitant detected my drone and presented me with four firmware options (offering a downgrade to .0100, 0200, a refresh for .0300 and an update to .0400. Well the choice is obvious, .0400 of course. I chose clicked it and the race began 1) download, 2) Transmit, 3) update....to 80% where the USB auto disconnects and causes an eventual fail at 95%.
  3. Next, I turned everything off, swapped computers to a Windows 10, wash rinse repeat. Same results. The USB starts auto disconnect and reconnect rapidly.
  4. Next, I chose to downgrade and I kept getting an error immediately following the download phase. Yes, I tried to downgrade to .0200, .0100 and a refresh on .0300 = fail, fail, fail
  5. Next, I went back to the Mac, swapped batteries, removed the SD card, deleted the DJI Go4 firmware/download cache, then deleted it all. Then I reinstalled the DJI Go 4 App, Deleted DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic and reinstalled. First I tried the DJI Assistant way...same result. Then I tried the wifi w/DJI Go4 app and failed again.
End result: I sent a request sent to DJI for support. DJI responded with a request for proof of purchase and all the blah blah garbage and I provided it. Now I am in a holding pattern till someone decides to help or offer an RMA. Should be no issue unless DJI repeats the last encounter when I owned a Mavic Pro (1), when they just ignored me till I sold the drone and it's problems to someone else. I guess I have the regular warranty and the paid extra warranty from DJI. One of those should cover it...if the actually respond back in a helpful manner.

Has anyone else solved this type of bricking issue? The drone application/DJI Go 4 indicates lots of "RED" text. IMU Calibrating...do not move, no SD Card inserted, the gimbal is locked, no video transmission, no firmware version available, no battery cell information. To be clear, this drone has never been in an incident/accident or handled or flown in a manner that would cause damage. This is absolutely a firmware nightmare and I am unaware of a magic button combination to reload the OS, lol. I guess DJI has that option at their fingertips and won't share, lol.

Sorry, I was with you until I read that you sold your drone and its problems to someone else? Hope you told them. I bought a car from someone who sold me their problems, that just rubbed me the wrong way, I’m sure your drone buyer feels the same. Karma sucks sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilrah
Sorry, I was with you until I read that you sold your drone and its problems to someone else? Hope you told them. I bought a car from someone who sold me their problems, that just rubbed me the wrong way, I’m sure your drone buyer feels the same. Karma sucks sometimes.
Sorry for sparking a bit of anger. I let my frustration poor out and after calming down and reading it appears a bit misleading/embellished. The details on the other Mavic I sold are incomplete. The fly more combo comes with three batteries. One went bad after 9 months and I tried to work with DJI for over 2 months and they kept putting me off till I gave up. Fact! DJI customer support was horrid for the attempt at repair on that battery.I kept the communication to prove it. I sold the drone with 2 good batteries and I got rid of the one that had a bad cell (before I put it up for sell). I would not pass off an unsafe item to anyone. Additionally, I had other perceived problems with that drone as I did not know how to deal with the "washed out" images that appear overexposed. I guess I wanted the process to be a bit more automated and that drone required post color production...which I suck at. It was truly a nightmare for me which is why I spoke of that original Mavic Pro so poorly. Please accept my apology.
As an update to my previous thread. DJI authorized my drone to be returned for repair within 24 hours. I have sent it on its way and obviously, the customer service thus far appears to meet my expectations.

Reactions: Cmick1972
Good! So glad to hear that! I suck at editing too, and don’t even attempt it anymore. Not sure which edition of Mavic 2 you have, but I have the Zoom, and it does pretty good set to auto as long I use whatever white balance is appropriate. Also my Evo has great color profile options that my zoom doesn’t have. That being said the Evo does not have the transmission strength of occusync 2. And has a couple other little quirks I don’t like about it, but all in all returns pretty good videos. I tell you this just in case you have to get something new after all. So I apologize for not knowing the whole story before reacting. Good luck to you!

Update! After sending it in for repair (under standard warranty), DJI found that the main board needed to be replaced. The notice said they had the option to replace the board or to replace the drone. The next notice I received was the drone was being shipped back and the list of serial numbers for the drone, camera and gimbal were different. I assume they sent me an entirely different replacement drone. No idea if it is "brand new" or simply something laying around they repaired from another return. I hope it arrives with updated firmware but now the fun begins. I have to test everything. I am curious if anyone else had the main board fail?

Update #2. Oh boy, Got the drone back from DJI today (keep in mind that I sent it in around the 8th...it's been a while). DJI sent a "replacement" rather than fix the main board on the one I sent in. I charged all devices and turned the replacement MP2 on. The gimbal is bad. Overload warning, remove lock warning, etc. I did all the usual firmware updates, calibrations but none of it helped.

The gimbal eventually settled a bit but would randomly jitter and shake, then jump/rotate 45 degrees at an angle and then try to find center again. NO, we are not talking startup. We are talking sitting idle and while in flight. The good news is they are allowing me to send this replacement back but the obvious issue is that by the time all this is done, I will have been without a drone for over almost 2 months. They refuse to ship any other way than the ground from Canada to USA. Does not matter that they replaced my broken drone with another broken drone. Lousy service imho. No way they should be sending broken drones out for replacements and not offering a better/quicker solution.

My M2P got bricked during a firmware update and when it was sent in I got an email saying the "core board" was changed and with that my serial number would change. Got my original box back from DJI with a different M2P in it. It looked new but has a couple of scratches on the gimbal. Haven't had a chance to really test it yet as I live in a NFZ and there isn't anywhere close by to fly it. I'm hoping the camera is good as photography is what I bought it for. I wish they would have just replaced the core board as my M2P was in perfect condition with a good camera. I wish I would have got my original back....

Brett: I can only imagine how disappointed you are with the "new" aircraft. How in the world does this happen? I mean, SURELY DJI checks out every aircraft before shipment, right? Hmm...maybe not and I can't imagine that the problem was caused by shipping.

Have you decided what you are going to do about this? Sure sounds like a defective bird to me, sad to say.

Brett: I can only imagine how disappointed you are with the "new" aircraft. How in the world does this happen? I mean, SURELY DJI checks out every aircraft before shipment, right? Hmm...maybe not and I can't imagine that the problem was caused by shipping.

Have you decided what you are going to do about this? Sure sounds like a defective bird to me, sad to say.
If the Gimbal and Camera are good, I will keep it.

There were some problems with my old bird that I was just dealing with not wanting to go through DJIs service procedings.
Last November the internal memory just dissapeared. Can't use it, can't format it, and the unit can't even find it. I always use a card so I just dealt with it.
The other big pita problem was what the OP was experiencing but on a short term basis. Every time I would power the M2P up it would take from thirty seconds to one time it tooks ten minutes for it to initialize. If I tried to start the motors while waiting I would get a message about IMU Calibrating...do not move, no SD Card inserted, the gimbal is locked, no video transmission, ect...
At least the new unit has working memory and boots up like it is supposed to every time so as long as the camera is good, I will live with the scratches. Did cost me another 5 bucks with the FAA with a new serial...

Well I finally got around to checking out the camera and it is unacceptable. Most of the left side and all the corners are terrible. Now I have to start another service ticket with this company. In the service email they said they replaced the core board. I wish they actually would have done just that and not sent me a new bird.

I'm really wishing I had done my homework and got a Parrot Anafi instead. I was sold on the Hassleblad which turned out to be "bait and switch" not not really a Hassleblad, they just bought the company and used the name, what a hassle...

Here is a pic from my M2P's lovely camera (from untouched file) and the same shot using my iPhone 5 (also untouched). Would you believe it, the iPhone has a sharper camera, what a joke!!!

DJI_0031.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

I am definately using the right Avitar...

Comparing your 2 JPGs, I have to say, that the M2P is overall better ...
The picture of the iPhone 5 is less detailed even in bright sunshine then the one from the Mavic 2 with the Hasselblad (look at the grass for instance). Seems like the iPhone 5 uses some noise correction to smooth.

I do have to commit, that the camera of the M2P falls off to the edges with sharpness normally and some showed problems with quality inconsistencies over the full picture (like my 1st before replacement). The depth of field is also sometimes a bit narrow (for what reason I don't know). But I cannot see anything abnormal or a problem from your picture here.

You may post the DNG for better comparison. ;)
But certainly only Hasselblad means nothing and one cannot expect the same results from a 35 mm DSLR- or even a MF-camera with bigger sensors.

Also remember shooting in bright sunshine, without an ND fillter would mean that you high up in the F-Stops, I've noticed after about 8 the image starts to soften a fair bit. Try the same thing again, pop an ND4-ND8 on the drone and shoot at F4(ish) and see the difference, it's pretty night and day

Well, I'm at mostly at f2.8 (saw no difference in sharpness between f2.8 and f4) and so in the afternoon sun at about 1/1600 - 1/2500 which is just fine for photos.
The M2P can go up to 1/8000 so no need to stop down for diffraction softness or applying a nd. This is just for photo certainly ... not speaking for video.

Comparing your 2 JPGs, I have to say, that the M2P is overall better ...
The picture of the iPhone 5 is less detailed even in bright sunshine then the one from the Mavic 2 with the Hasselblad (look at the grass for instance). Seems like the iPhone 5 uses some noise correction to smooth.

I do have to commit, that the camera of the M2P falls off to the edges with sharpness normally and some showed problems with quality inconsistencies over the full picture (like my 1st before replacement). The depth of field is also sometimes a bit narrow (for what reason I don't know). But I cannot see anything abnormal or a problem from your picture here.

You may post the DNG for better comparison. ;)
But certainly only Hasselblad means nothing and one cannot expect the same results from a 35 mm DSLR- or even a MF-camera with bigger sensors.
Thanks for the response.

I will leave it with this post as this has gone astray from the original post, my bad, I'm sorry.

This is strictly about sharpness and I have the destinct advantage of using a Good camera for over half a year (purchased my M2P last Sept).
First off, the overall clarity of the whole pic is not as good as my original.
Second, there are spots that are really bad compared to what I had before.

Here is this pic again marking some of the bad spots. This is at ISO 100 at F/4.5. The mailbox is almost in focus and some trees in the background are pretty much in focus so everything in between should also be. Compare the marked tree and bush on the right to say that little bush on the left. That little bush is nothing but mush.

DJI_0031.jpg

Heres a screenshot of a shot I just took of grass. See how the right half looks normal but the left half has major softness. ISO 100 at F/3.5. My original bird had none of this. I may have to have it out with DJI but I am going to hold them to their policy stating that a replacement will be as good as or better that the original. I still wish they would have just replaced the core board and sent me my original back, it was in perfect condition. What does that say when you wish you would rather keep your almost year old item instead of getting a new one....

pic.jpg

You can call me picky but I bought this for photography and I know what a good one is capable of.

Fly safe everyone.

See what you mean, does look softer side to side.

Perhaps a lense calibration issue on the one you have or something

I just ran out to the Speedway to use their brick wall.
I see there is also lens distortion on the left side. The red line is at the bottom of the brick at center and varies a little on the right because of the perspective angle but the distance on the left from center should match the right. As you can see, there is about three times the distance on the left compared to the right.
That would help explain some of the softness on the left but some spots are still worse than others.
I'm linking the raw file as well if anyone is intrested.

pic2.jpg

DJI_0035.DNG

Last edited:
Hmm just straightened, perspective corrected and cropped it, there's softness left side and barrel roll top right... Somethings not accurate there, I know when shooting video at 10bit x265 DLOG the barrel correction needs doing post. But always gets pretty straight horizon when I do it.

Must get mine out and tested see what it's like for shooting.

What settings do you have the camera at out of interest, see if I can re create it. DJI_0035-01.jpeg

I'm assuming the wall is pretty straight that is lol, and the line on the right is straight on the wall that is. [emoji4]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute