DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware update required 4/5/20

Ptevee

Reactions
I get a message to update my firmware today.... I was not connected to cellular or wi-fi at the time?? Wondering how it knows I need an update? I just submitted for a warranty claim, would that have anything to do with it? I have not yet updated firmware, I'm always leary.

Wondering how it knows I need an update?
Your phone/tablet must have been on the net before and checked the latest versions so when you connected the "whatever it was" it had the versions cached so you got the popup that there is an update.

Reactions: Gindra
Should I be confident to update? I hear some horror stories! Would this be a "global" update or is it specific to my drone? Could it be the warranty claim that is active?

This is one of the best reasons to use litchi and not the go app as litchi never nags

I get a message to update my firmware today.... I was not connected to cellular or wi-fi at the time?? Wondering how it knows I need an update? I just submitted for a warranty claim, would that have anything to do with it? I have not yet updated firmware, I'm always leary.

Firmware update is never required or mandated. You choose to install it at the behest of DJI's intimidating language. Just press the white X and enjoy flying on the FW you have.

D

Firmware update is never required or mandated.
DJI does make it mandatory to have a specific firmware version installed if they wish.
It happened to M200 users at the end of 2018. If you choose to not update to the latest firmware at the time you were unable to launch.
It was a very specific case, but DJI can do it:

Latest firmware. M200 series drone users are strongly advised to update their drone and batteries to the latest firmware. From 23 November 2018, this safety-related update is mandatory for pilots using DJI GO 4 to operate their M200 series drone as they will experience a flight lock until the update is complete. This is why we ask that pilots allow extra time before their next flight to perform this update to minimize disruption to their operations.

DJI does make it mandatory to have a specific firmware version installed if they wish.
It happened to M200 users at the end of 2018. If you choose to not update to the latest firmware at the time you were unable to launch.
It was a very specific case, but DJI can do it:

Latest firmware. M200 series drone users are strongly advised to update their drone and batteries to the latest firmware. From 23 November 2018, this safety-related update is mandatory for pilots using DJI GO 4 to operate their M200 series drone as they will experience a flight lock until the update is complete. This is why we ask that pilots allow extra time before their next flight to perform this update to minimize disruption to their operations.

I don't know about the M200, but for the Inspire 1 (all versions), P4P, Mavic Pro and M600 Pro, there's a firmware line that once you cross it, DJI has control of your drone. So, naturally, I stay 1 version behind in all 4 platforms, which prevents DJI from getting their mitts into my drone. But worth noting, you have to run legacy software, as well. All my firmware versions and software versions are on the bleeding edge of the "line of control." So I never have to take tests, agree to updated EULA's, deal with erroneous NFZ's and so on and so forth. My drones fly anywhere I want any time I want. That said...

I don't own an M200, so I haven't tried to rollback that FW. But I have successfully rolled back FW on 3 of the 4 aforementioned platforms. The 4th - the M600 Pro - was simply never updated. So, regarding the M200, I defer to your expertise.

D

P.S. DJI will ALWAYS "strongly suggest" their latest Naziware. I'm a living testimonial that they're full of bull. You do NOT have to update or "upgrade" anything. I've been running legacy FW and software in all my drones for years with nary an issue. Even further, dare I say I've been running legacy FW and software for years with LESS issues than those who update. I fly professionally every week.

P.S.S. I love how DJI doesn't tell what will happen if you're outside WiFi or Cell service. You will be stuck on that godforsaken "login required" error message until you completely pack up, drive into a WiFi or Cell service area, unpack, set up, update, test (if you have time), pack up, drive back to location, set up, fly. Wanna talk about pissed off clients? I experienced that ONCE. Fortunately, I had a spare drone running legacy FW. I'll never be caught like that again. I don't know about you, but at least 50% of my work is outside cell range. So I can't be bogged down with any equipment that REQUIRES an Internet connection.

Last edited:
I love how DJI doesn't tell what will happen if you're outside WiFi or Cell service. You will be stuck on that godforsaken "login required" error message
And unfortunately it's not just DJI that is coercing, sometimes forcing, people to give in to doing things their way.

All the major corporations of which I have to use their services in furtherance of modern-day life... Google, Verizon, Microsoft, et al, have updated their EULAs and/or 'privacy policies'* to force us to give in and do things their way.

My son's girlfriend bought a new HP laptop Friday and asked me to do the initial power up so I could set it up as best as possible, and turn off all the Privacy Invasion bullcrap. Started working on it early Saturday morning, and could not believe what the setup process has evolved into on a new Windows computer. MS now forces users to set up a Microsoft account, give up your email address and/or phone number, and other personal identification information. I can't even remember now what all personal information it required me to give up, but the more I worked on that **** computer the madder I got! On giving it back to her I told her if it was mine, it would either be going back to the store or I would wipe Windows and install Linux!

*Corporate 'privacy policies' should be called 'You have no privacy and have to give us all your personal data' policies.

Sorry for the OT rant, couldn't help myself ?...

And unfortunately it's not just DJI that is coercing, sometimes forcing, people to give in to doing things their way.

All the major corporations of which I have to use their services in furtherance of modern-day life... Google, Verizon, Microsoft, et al, have updated their EULAs and/or 'privacy policies'* to force us to give in and do things their way.

Unfortunately, you are correct. I have purposely set up a junk account for just this purpose. I usually get about 10 emails a day. 90% of the junk that goes into that account I block, otherwise it would get 100 emails a day. This week's haul:

* Fitbit
* Linksys support
* Bombas sock company
* Angel Sense (GPS locator)
* The White House (totally random spamming)
* A place for mom

Sans the Whitehouse, these are all businesses that REQUIRE an email address for the privilege of getting information, support, or using their services.

1586788849374.png

I've had this junk account for about 25 years.

My son's girlfriend bought a new HP laptop Friday and asked me to do the initial power up so I could set it up as best as possible, and turn off all the Privacy Invasion bullcrap.

Of which there is a TON with Windows 10...<:^0

Started working on it early Saturday morning, and could not believe what the setup process has evolved into on a new Windows computer. MS now forces users to set up a Microsoft account, give up your email address and/or phone number, and other personal identification information.

About to go WAAAAY off topic here...

Well...they try. There's a way out of it. During the setup process, tucked away in the lower-left corner in an 8-point font is the option to set up a local account. I don't have the exact page, but it kind of looks like this:

1586789423400.png

To accomplish all your privacy objectives, you have to select the "Custom" option throughout the entire process. I don't have the "Let's set up an email account" page captured, but it looks similar to the above capture.

You can set up a "Local Account," like this:

1586790039267.png

As you can see, MS baits it's users by letting them know that "Windows is better" when you give away all your information. The good news is that you can reconfigure your daughter's boyfriend's computer BACK to a "Local Account." It's a bit tricky, but can be done.

Here's the best part...

You know all that privacy junk you turned off? Well you have to audit those settings about once a month because certain updates will turn them back on!! But there's more!

Under the hood of Windows 10 lives an evil little demon who sends a bunch of telemetry data to MS 24/7. You're not only giving away your privacy, but MS uses YOUR CPU, RAM and Internet bandwidth to do it!!

I use a utility to BLOCK all telemetry data being sent to MS.

1586790361407.png

And this...

1586790397826.png

Any of these can be turned back on at any time.

I also block Cortana (registry hack) so that my Windows search engine searches MY COMPUTER and NOT the friggin Internet! If I want to search the Internet, I'll open a GD browser and use the Google or DuckDuckGo search engines!

Notice how I type in "Team," and I get LOCAL results.

1586790565268.png

The thing is, LIKE YOU, I want a GD computer. NOT a "user experience." I do this same tuneup for every one of my customers. The result is a happy computer that doesn't idle at Mach 3:

1586790709677.png

As you can see, I can run Windows 10 on an old, crappy Celeron CPU with a mere 4GB of RAM (crash box used for testing Win 10). I'm remoted into the above computer, so the remote software is what's using 50% of the CPU.

1586791477703.png

Without the remote session, the CPU and SSD sit @ < 4% all the time.

I can't even remember now what all personal information it required me to give up, but the more I worked on that **** computer the madder I got!

Yep. It's maddening. The worse part is if your email account gets hacked, MS might REQUIRE that you change your password, which then BREAKS the password on your computer!! ARGH!! It takes me about an hour to break into a Win 10 machine and reset it to a local account (no data loss, of course). But it's a real hack.

And because I set up new computers for customers, I have to set up local accounts, which is what I always recommend anyway. Could you imagine calling customers asking them for their EMAIL account and password for the PRIVILEGE of setting up their Win-10 machines??? Insane.

On giving it back to her I told her if it was mine, it would either be going back to the store or I would wipe Windows and install Linux!

Hehe....yep...my Linux Web/File server has been sitting under my desk running 24/7 for like 12 or 13 years now (running CentOS). My record Uptime is like 512 days. I only reason it wasn't longer is because we had a power outage (box is not on a UPS).

*Corporate 'privacy policies' should be called 'You have no privacy and have to give us all your personal data' policies.

Phones apps are the WORST. You might as well just strip off all your clothes and walk around naked. I use a flip phone, so I don't do "apps." My iPads use apps, but are locked down (as much as one can possibly lock down an iPad) and turned off when not in use. It's a crazy world we live in. Everybody wants access to everything. I don't even allow the IRS access to my bank account. I'm going to set up a junk bank account for just that purpose next year....<:^/

Sorry for the OT rant, couldn't help myself ?...

Yeah...no worries. I get it. Hopefully, OTHER users of this forum don't mind our OT banter too much. But all this ties into our drones, which, like Microsoft, want to report everything we do and control us. So all my drones get the same treatment I give my computers, iPads, etc. I lock those jerks OUT.

D

Last edited:
I hear you brother! I agree with absolutely everything you said except:

During the setup process, tucked away in the lower-left corner in an 8-point font is the option to set up a local account.
Not anymore... I can guarantee you that option to set up a local account was not on any screen. I've set up dozens and dozens of Windows 10 computers for my customers too, and this was the first time the local account option was nowhere to be found!... grrrrrr!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Donnie Frank
I hear you brother! I agree with absolutely everything you said except:

Not anymore... I can guarantee you that option to set up a local account was not on any screen. I've set up dozens and dozens of Windows 10 computers for my customers too, and this was the first time the local account option was nowhere to be found!... grrrrrr!!!

Interesting. I haven't set up a fresh, brand new Win-10 system from scratch in about 2 months. It would suck if that option went away.

I assume you tried to CHANGE the computer to a local account post-installation, yes? Is that option gone, too? If so, dollars to doughnuts there's a registry hack to bring it back.

There might also be a way to change it in Control Panel -> Users (as opposed to "Settings -> Accounts").

D

I don't know about the M200, but for the Inspire 1 (all versions), P4P, Mavic Pro and M600 Pro, there's a firmware line that once you cross it, DJI has control of your drone. So, naturally, I stay 1 version behind in all 4 platforms, which prevents DJI from getting their mitts into my drone. But worth noting, you have to run legacy software, as well. All my firmware versions and software versions are on the bleeding edge of the "line of control." So I never have to take tests, agree to updated EULA's, deal with erroneous NFZ's and so on and so forth. My drones fly anywhere I want any time I want. That said...

I don't own an M200, so I haven't tried to rollback that FW. But I have successfully rolled back FW on 3 of the 4 aforementioned platforms. The 4th - the M600 Pro - was simply never updated. So, regarding the M200, I defer to your expertise.

D

P.S. DJI will ALWAYS "strongly suggest" their latest Naziware. I'm a living testimonial that they're full of bull. You do NOT have to update or "upgrade" anything. I've been running legacy FW and software in all my drones for years with nary an issue. Even further, dare I say I've been running legacy FW and software for years with LESS issues than those who update. I fly professionally every week.

P.S.S. I love how DJI doesn't tell what will happen if you're outside WiFi or Cell service. You will be stuck on that godforsaken "login required" error message until you completely pack up, drive into a WiFi or Cell service area, unpack, set up, update, test (if you have time), pack up, drive back to location, set up, fly. Wanna talk about pissed off clients? I experienced that ONCE. Fortunately, I had a spare drone running legacy FW. I'll never be caught like that again. I don't know about you, but at least 50% of my work is outside cell range. So I can't be bogged down with any equipment that REQUIRES an Internet connection.

Hello Donnie,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've a general question about firmware and app software that seems appropriate here and you seem very knowledgeable about these things...so I hope you can answer.

I have a Mavic Pro I bought new in 2017. I was running FW 1.04.0000 and DJIGO4 app 4.1.15. About a year ago I ditched DJIGO4 and started using Litchi 100%... (I use an Android phone and always seemed to have issues with DJIGO4 crashing...Litchi has been rock-solid flawless for me.)

Anyway, I have never received any warnings, or mandatory FW update notices, nor have I been restricted from flying anywhere, nor have I been required to connect to cell or WI-FI; my current APP/FW combo seems to work perfect. I am very leery about changing anything or updating FW (still on 1.04.0000.) Your post above seems to re-enforce that.

Am I missing anything in terms of "bug fixes" or performance or anything? Is there a downside to stick with what I've got?

Hello Donnie,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've a general question about firmware and app software that seems appropriate here and you seem very knowledgeable about these things...so I hope you can answer.

Not hijacking at all. Your questions are right in-line with the OP.

I have a Mavic Pro I bought new in 2017. I was running FW 1.04.0000 and DJIGO4 app 4.1.15. About a year ago I ditched DJIGO4 and started using Litchi 100%... (I use an Android phone and always seemed to have issues with DJIGO4 crashing...Litchi has been rock-solid flawless for me.)

Anyway, I have never received any warnings, or mandatory FW update notices....

I don't use Litchi, so I don't know how they interact with DJI. I CAN tell you that I HAVE received warnings via AutoPilot asserting something like "Not connected to DJI servers" or some crap. I'm able to simply close that message and continue using the software.

Worth noting; While I DO use third-party software a LOT, when it comes to getting full telemetry data or having full camera control, the DJI offerings are still the top dog. For instance, I have to change my camera's mode to "Manual" in the DJI App, and THEN I can change the individual settings in AutoPilot (shutter, ISO). I can't change the camera mode in AutoPilot.

I also use iPads, so I'm not sure if the Go 4 version numbers translate across both platforms. I use v4.0.8. I highly recommend you give that version a chance. You may be dealing with a consistency problem between your modern Software attempting to access legacy firmware.

FWIW, I run FW v01.03.0700 in my Mavic Pro.

...nor have I been restricted from flying anywhere, nor have I been required to connect to cell or WI-FI; my current APP/FW combo seems to work perfect. I am very leery about changing anything or updating FW (still on 1.04.0000.) Your post above seems to re-enforce that.

I'm going to guess that the nice folks at Litchi are running independent of DJI. Third-party software seems to have two modes. The iPad (or tablet) BECOMES the controller. OR you can simply upload waypoints, in which case the bird uses its own on-board Flight Controller. The latter seems to require some kind of hand-shaking with the DJI SDK's....or maybe it's the former. It's been so long since I've had any trouble that I honestly don't remember.

Am I missing anything in terms of "bug fixes" or performance or anything? Is there a downside to stick with what I've got?

No. If your bird flies the way you want it to, then it's bug-free. Bugs are usually the result of a combination of user demands that you simply are not accessing. So, for YOU, there are no bugs. Someone else flying YOUR drone might experience bugs. That said...

I'm VERY leery of DJI. Their release notes range from "incomplete" to "flat-out lie." I think they dangle "bug fixes" out there to entice users to update. As long as I've been flying, I've experienced very few bugs. Nothing a simple reboot of the drone didn't fix. For instance, if I'm flying a MapPilot mapping mission, and need to change the battery, I have to be careful to make sure that the new battery is installed, P4P is booted up and fully renegotiated with MapPilot BEFORE I "resume" the mission. If I get to anxious and prematurely try to re-upload the on-going mission, the bird won't launch and I'll get a bevy of error messages from the software. So in this case the "bug" is that the developers didn't trap for that scenario. Now I can either update to a version I don't want that MAY have fixed that issue. OR I can simply not prematurely upload missions. Simple. I prefer the latter.

I'll end by saying I an NO FAN of Apple products, but I have to say that the iPads works extremely well with the DJI stuff. So I stick with those. You may find it worth your while to pick up a legacy iPad...nothing past iOS 12.xx.xx. I don't need "bells and whistles." I need reliability.

D

Unfortunately, you are correct. I have purposely set up a junk account for just this purpose. I usually get about 10 emails a day. 90% of the junk that goes into that account I block, otherwise it would get 100 emails a day. This week's haul:

* Fitbit
* Linksys support
* Bombas sock company
* Angel Sense (GPS locator)
* The White House (totally random spamming)
* A place for mom

Sans the Whitehouse, these are all businesses that REQUIRE an email address for the privilege of getting information, support, or using their services.

View attachment 98621

I've had this junk account for about 25 years.

Of which there is a TON with Windows 10...<:^0

About to go WAAAAY off topic here...

Well...they try. There's a way out of it. During the setup process, tucked away in the lower-left corner in an 8-point font is the option to set up a local account. I don't have the exact page, but it kind of looks like this:

View attachment 98622

To accomplish all your privacy objectives, you have to select the "Custom" option throughout the entire process. I don't have the "Let's set up an email account" page captured, but it looks similar to the above capture.

You can set up a "Local Account," like this:

View attachment 98623

As you can see, MS baits it's users by letting them know that "Windows is better" when you give away all your information. The good news is that you can reconfigure your daughter's boyfriend's computer BACK to a "Local Account." It's a bit tricky, but can be done.

Here's the best part...

You know all that privacy junk you turned off? Well you have to audit those settings about once a month because certain updates will turn them back on!! But there's more!

Under the hood of Windows 10 lives an evil little demon who sends a bunch of telemetry data to MS 24/7. You're not only giving away your privacy, but MS uses YOUR CPU, RAM and Internet bandwidth to do it!!

I use a utility to BLOCK all telemetry data being sent to MS.

View attachment 98624

And this...

View attachment 98625

Any of these can be turned back on at any time.

I also block Cortana (registry hack) so that my Windows search engine searches MY COMPUTER and NOT the friggin Internet! If I want to search the Internet, I'll open a GD browser and use the Google or DuckDuckGo search engines!

Notice how I type in "Team," and I get LOCAL results.

View attachment 98626

The thing is, LIKE YOU, I want a GD computer. NOT a "user experience." I do this same tuneup for every one of my customers. The result is a happy computer that doesn't idle at Mach 3:

View attachment 98628

As you can see, I can run Windows 10 on an old, crappy Celeron CPU with a mere 4GB of RAM (crash box used for testing Win 10). I'm remoted into the above computer, so the remote software is what's using 50% of the CPU.

View attachment 98632

Without the remote session, the CPU and SSD sit @ < 4% all the time.

Yep. It's maddening. The worse part is if your email account gets hacked, MS might REQUIRE that you change your password, which then BREAKS the password on your computer!! ARGH!! It takes me about an hour to break into a Win 10 machine and reset it to a local account (no data loss, of course). But it's a real hack.

And because I set up new computers for customers, I have to set up local accounts, which is what I always recommend anyway. Could you imagine calling customers asking them for their EMAIL account and password for the PRIVILEGE of setting up their Win-10 machines??? Insane.

Hehe....yep...my Linux Web/File server has been sitting under my desk running 24/7 for like 12 or 13 years now (running CentOS). My record Uptime is like 512 days. I only reason it wasn't longer is because we had a power outage (box is not on a UPS).

Phones apps are the WORST. You might as well just strip off all your clothes and walk around naked. I use a flip phone, so I don't do "apps." My iPads use apps, but are locked down (as much as one can possibly lock down an iPad) and turned off when not in use. It's a crazy world we live in. Everybody wants access to everything. I don't even allow the IRS access to my bank account. I'm going to set up a junk bank account for just that purpose next year....<:^/

Yeah...no worries. I get it. Hopefully, OTHER users of this forum don't mind our OT banter too much. But all this ties into our drones, which, like Microsoft, want to report everything we do and control us. So all my drones get the same treatment I give my computers, iPads, etc. I lock those jerks OUT.

D
Tell us how you really feel... ? ? ? ?

Yuppers, I am still on the same FW since I cracked my boxes 3 years ago.
Iv'e poked around with various version of the Go4 app, but settled on 4.0.4.
The kit NEVER sees the interwebs, thru cell or wifi.
Period....

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Thanks Donnie. Never have been an apple fan here, so I think I'll stay with what I've got...if it ain't broke...don't fix it!! Thank you for your insight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54