DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware updated with WiFi disabled ?

Reactions
I have a Pro2Zoom, works great. I've prevented it from updating the firmware since I bought it about a year ago by disabling the wifi on my onePlus5 which I use as the control device (android)..so whatever firmware it came with has been in force since then. Whenever i would see the update prompt, i just ignored it and powered up the system and it hasn't updated ever...until today.

After powering it all up as always, and confirming beforehand that wifi was off on the phone, I powered up and low and behold it started updating the firmware.

MY QUESTION: How could it have downloaded and installed this new firmware when there was no internet connection available? In addition, it did this at the hotel we are staying at and one needs to log into their wifi with passwords.

Does the stock controller that comes with the Pro2 Zoom have its own network that only it can see or log into?

Data download through the phone cellular ?

While this is not a good thing that has happened to you, especially since it sounds like youve been quite diligent in avoiding DJI firmware... I would like to say thank you for posting this issue.

I've long wondered what happens after a long period of purposeful avoidance of updating DJI drones. I know theyre a company that doesnt like customers holding out for long periods and opting out of being there overpaying beta testers.

I dont know anything for certain, but IF your sure you didnt have cell data active, as well as wifi, when you opened your GO4 app, then I'd posit the GO4 app/AC has an internal countdown clock, that accompanies firmware, even the stock version, and once you reach that timeframe (sounds like 365 days, or thereabouts, is the magic #) the app will subtly continue running, and wait for your device to access a data network, ANY time after this timeframe has passed.
So, even though you've never opened Go4 while you've had data access on, the GO4 app sneakily waits til you do, then it pulls its data from DJI servers and forces an update next time you run it with AC connected...
(Please, anyone with coding and software knowledge chime in to let us know if this is, or is not, something that could occur with GO4?)

What version did it force on you, the latest .0510?

Again, sorry this happened to you. I wouldve said to get NLD but if youve been force updated to any firmware .0300 or beyond, then since July 2018, the sneaky diptadoos at DJI slid in anti-rollback into the firmware.

I'd say that if your in this situation again, I'd make sure you manually kill the GO4 app after your done flying and before you open up data access again. If you notice it start doing the firmware update, then immediately kill the app, go into the GO4 app info and erase the data and cache. I'm not sure this will work because it might require you to sign in again?

Honestly, there may be no avoiding their firmware, which is why I'm heading over to AUTELs camp! However, with Remote ID coming down the pike, there wont be any hiding from the forced firmware on any companies products.

Note: Im an android user so if killing apps is not possible on iOS, I apologize.

And one final thought, IF your phone is on the XFINITY network, I believe that even if you shut off wifi, those phones dave a default setting that automatically connects to any of the millions of xfinity hotspots around the country, maybe the world? So I suppose thats possibility?

Last edited:
My M2P, only ever flown the the CS and factory controller, routinely updates the drone and batteries when I power up. Interesting the the phone software even offered the choice for a period of time.

While this is not a good thing that has happened to you, especially since it sounds like youve been quite diligent in avoiding DJI firmware... I would like to say thank you for posting this issue.

I've long wondered what happens after a long period of purposeful avoidance of updating DJI drones. I know theyre a company that doesnt like customers holding out for long periods and opting out of being there overpaying beta testers.

I dont know anything for certain, but IF your sure you didnt have cell data active, as well as wifi, when you opened your GO4 app, then I'd posit the GO4 app/AC has an internal countdown clock, that accompanies firmware, even the stock version, and once you reach that timeframe (sounds like 365 days, or thereabouts, is the magic #) the app will subtly continue running, and wait for your device to access a data network, ANY time after this timeframe has passed.
So, even though you've never opened Go4 while you've had data access on, the GO4 app sneakily waits til you do, then it pulls its data from DJI servers and forces an update next time you run it with AC connected...
(Please, anyone with coding and software knowledge chime in to let us know if this is, or is not, something that could occur with GO4?)

What version did it force on you, the latest .0510?

Again, sorry this happened to you. I wouldve said to get NLD but if youve been force updated to any firmware .0300 or beyond, then since July 2018, the sneaky diptadoos at DJI slid in anti-rollback into the firmware.

I'd say that if your in this situation again, I'd make sure you manually kill the GO4 app after your done flying and before you open up data access again. If you notice it start doing the firmware update, then immediately kill the app, go into the GO4 app info and erase the data and cache. I'm not sure this will work because it might require you to sign in again?

Honestly, there may be no avoiding their firmware, which is why I'm heading over to AUTELs camp! However, with Remote ID coming down the pike, there wont be any hiding from the forced firmware on any companies products.

Note: Im an android user so if killing apps is not possible on iOS, I apologize.

And one final thought, IF your phone is on the XFINITY network, I believe that even if you shut off wifi, those phones dave a default setting that automatically connects to any of the millions of xfinity hotspots around the country, maybe the world? So I suppose thats possibility?
there's no sim card in the phone i am using so there's no way it could have downloaded anything via cell phone or wifi. i'm not sure the version number...next time i power it up i will check.

is there a way to rollback the version to the 'stock' one it originally came with?

Steve

there's no sim card in the phone i am using so there's no way it could have downloaded anything via cell phone or wifi. i'm not sure the version number...next time i power it up i will check.

is there a way to rollback the version to the 'stock' one it originally came with?

Steve
Well, no your not likely going to be able to get back to the version it shipped with because DJI has slipped in anti-rollback and only offers the latest 3 fw versions now.

Since release, I think theres been 5 different firmware updates, +/- 1... The 3rd (.0300), 4th (.0400) and 5th (.0510) are the only 3 they allow rollback to via there systems (Go4 or Assistant 2) but all 3 of those have anti-rollback code within them, so you can use any of those 3 but none before... Unless your a software guru, but even then Im not sure?

What the anti-rollback does is keep you from using your own methods to rollback to stock fw, and/or use NLD service to rollback to .0100 (which is the only version they offer No NFZ on... This is exactly why DJI snuck in this code)

Sorry bud, but your probably stuck in the .0300 to .0510 area as the rest of us now.

If it helps, Ive not found any major issues with latest fw, but Im still not familiar with why you were choosing to stay on stock firmware version?

As for your phone not having sim chip. Im baffled how they slipped you that update. The only way I can see is the middle part of my previous reply where the Go4 app just kept running behind the scenes, after it went a specific amount of time without connecting to a network, but thats speculation.

Im sorry none of this gets you back to where you want to be!

Like mentioned earlier, they also could have snuck it through with the app running in the background, and that's when "they slipped you the cookie"...

I know, different platform, but on my 3 year old Mavic Pro Gen I, still on original firmware for the bird, controller,batteries as shipped in the box. Go4 for both tabby and Epson Moverios is on 4.04 ( like the second version they released). No hiccups ever. I also kill all services turning them off, AND with "airplane mode", it never sees the outside world.

Never went for the "update bait".....

Somehow your device running whatever version of Go4 you have installed, did something (once it "phoned home"?) and did something you did not give "permission" too...

As too xifinity wifi hotspots, I think you have to log into it with your user/password, at least once?. I have never used/logged into that, and my devices set to ignore that "network"..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya