DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware v01.03.0000 Compass Error.

Ewan Morrish

Reactions
HI Guys,

Started receiving this compass error after updating to new firmware. When running in sports mode or the drone is fighting a head wind, Compass 1 becomes erratic and the mavic switches to Compass 2. Has anyone else had this issue?

If I drop back to the previous firmware, the error goes away.

in the screen where you see the Compass IMU Data Cannot be read for Compass 1, before the error occurs, the Green bar for that compass fluctuates before the error shows.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 344
Reactions: Mr Spock
Does the "cannot be read" show all the time i.e. even on the gorund after a reboot?

Hi there. No just when in the air and in the AC is higher level of pitch it seems when running in sports mode or fighting a head wind. I did have a minor crash the other week, but only just minor marks. only feet from about 2 meters onto grass.

Hi there. No just when in the air and in the AC is higher level of pitch it seems when running in sports mode or fighting a head wind. I did have a minor crash the other week, but only just minor marks. only feet from about 2 meters onto grass.

There is a theory that when the motors are at a high current/load, the interference can cause one of the compasses to get wonky. The latest firmware has the system change to the non-wonky compass. The same interference is likely happening on the older firmware as well, you're just not receiving the notification - and the MP isn't switching to the 'good' compass. In my case, that lead to terrible TBEs...

Reactions: FCCCC
I'm getting the same intermittent compass error. When flying in sport mode and full throttle I get something like "compass error re-calibrate or change flying area" I also get another error in another box that say's something like " High winds warning" (latest flight was in low to no wind conditions) This started after the latest update. I hear what someone said above that claims it was probably happening before the update but there wasn't a notification written in the software. The Mavic seems to fly fine but I'm I'm treating it with kit gloves. Can someone tell me if this is a systemic issue or just a handful of units. Also can someone tell me how to monitor the compass 1/2 switching?
Thanks

There is a theory that when the motors are at a high current/load, the interference can cause one of the compasses to get wonky. The latest firmware has the system change to the non-wonky compass. The same interference is likely happening on the older firmware as well, you're just not receiving the notification - and the MP isn't switching to the 'good' compass. In my case, that lead to terrible TBEs...

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I agree, appears to be related to engine RPM. When I downgraded the firmware I still did notice the same wonky Compass behaviour, but no alerts in the App itself. Also the High Wind warnings appear to coming up a lot. I didn't realise the MP is so sensitive to wind .Hopefully they put sold better logic in the next firmware release to correct the issue, if they can. Apart from those issues, the firmware appears ok.

Me too. (also v01.03.0000) Had the compass error today. Sports mode in high winds. Wonder if it is a side effect of some changes made in the firmware to avert the TBE events. Had two TBEs a fortnight ago and none since the update. Just get bombarded with high wind velocity, fly with caution messages. I am happy to put up with all these new warning messages, so long as the changes prevent TBEs.

HI Guys,

Started receiving this compass error after updating to new firmware. When running in sports mode or the drone is fighting a head wind, Compass 1 becomes erratic and the mavic switches to Compass 2. Has anyone else had this issue?

If I drop back to the previous firmware, the error goes away.

in the screen where you see the Compass IMU Data Cannot be read for Compass 1, before the error occurs, the Green bar for that compass fluctuates before the error shows.

Any help would greatly appreciated.
I'd to take a look at the .DAT for one of those flights. This is a file on the .DAT itself, not the tablet. The .DAT will have the necessary info to determine what happened. Go here for instructions on how to to this.The .DAT will be large and can't be attached to a post. Most pilots use Dropbox or Google Drive to create a link that can be included in a post.

@Logger would it be possible to get a .DAT from you as well.

@BudWalker - just drawing your attention to this one as a possible suspect for your datcon analysis...
Thanks, for some reason I don't always get the notifications. I just happened to stumble across this.

Me too. (also v01.03.0000) Had the compass error today. Sports mode in high winds. Wonder if it is a side effect of some changes made in the firmware to avert the TBE events. Had two TBEs a fortnight ago and none since the update. Just get bombarded with high wind velocity, fly with caution messages. I am happy to put up with all these new warning messages, so long as the changes prevent TBEs.

Exactly. I really think this is DJI's way to force the MP to revert to the front/less noisy compass when the engine current creates too much noise for the rear. IOW, it's a software fix for an interference issue that potentially causes TBEs. Perhaps DJI made the warning message visible initially to gauge how many units are suffering from this potential TBE cause. Once they know the TBEs have been eliminated, a future update will remove the warning (or make it optional to disable). Just guessing.

Here you go 170MB https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw1jH6lWD_8acTR5Y3NOZGlqS2s

From memory it was in the first 2 or 3 minutes amongst the wind warnings. Certainly in the first period in sports mode, not the second.
Looks to be the same behavior seen in @erkme73 s flight. Except that the compass is switched before it gets to be a problem.
upload_2016-12-10_6-28-44.png
The magZ became noisy when the current increased at about time 26. Then at time 35.63 it looks like the compass was switched to the other one and the magZ noise stopped.

@Logger, for whatever reason your flights uncover bugs and shortcomings in the Mavic version of DatCon. This and the last flight have resulted in 4 or 5 bug fixes. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
Looks to be the same behavior seen in @erkme73 s flight. Except that the compass is switched before it gets to be a problem.
View attachment 2282
The magZ became noisy when the current increased at about time 26. Then at time 35.63 it looks like the compass was switched to the other one and the magZ noise stopped.

@Logger, for whatever reason your flights uncover bugs and shortcomings in the Mavic version of DatCon. This and the last flight have resulted in 4 or 5 bug fixes. Keep 'em coming.

Sounds like the latest firmware has fixed the TBE problems due to high current draw... That's good! Hope no more TBE reported after everyone updates to the latest firmware..

I fly today and get same errors when fly in sport mode, compass and wind and have 1.03 version too...it feels to fly ok but i don't like to get information what makes me confuse...error but fly normal...what i should do...

So i would like get back previous version 1.02 but how i can do that or should i just wait new upgrade?

Reactions: Jeromeo
View attachment 2282

Thanks for looking at it. So it would seem that the process we are seeing is very likely a strategy to prevent the TBEs. This is very promising. Having seen this I sent my Mavic off on an 8.5km Litchi run around the farm where it went no comms several times and it all worked fine.

For those of you considering going back to an earlier firmware, I dont think this is a good idea at all. The messages appear to be by product of changes to prevent the Mavic dropping in to ATTI mode and a possible TBE event. I would far rather nagging messages than a TBE. Perhaps in time DJI might make these messages less intrusive.

I fly today and get same errors when fly in sport mode, compass and wind and have 1.03 version too...it feels to fly ok but i don't like to get information what makes me confuse...error but fly normal...what i should do...

So i would like get back previous version 1.02 but how i can do that or should i just wait new upgrade?
Reverting to 1.02 may not be a good idea. My understanding is this. With 1.02 the same problem will occur; you just won't hear about it and the Mavic won't try to remedy the situation. The result could be a TBE without warning. Version 1.03 tells you about the problem and then fixes it by switching compasses. At least with 1.03 the Mavic avoids the potential for TBE.

In a German forum one member apparently talked with DJI directly which confirmed that the actual error is due to a faulty cable placement inside the Mavic.
He was told to send it in for repair.

No idea how true this is, but it certainly matches up with the symptoms. Also not all Mavics seem to suffer from this, mine certainly doesn't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada